M1 for Genesis music

For anything related to sound (YM2612, PSG, Z80, PCM...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Richter X

Post by Richter X » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:49 am

SmartOne wrote:Probably because then you'd presumably have two copies of basically the same data. The sound code in the actual rom and the ripped format. They probably figure most people have the roms anyway, so why create a new format?
Because I'd rather not have to go through the trouble of renaming all those ROMs just to be able to use them on M1. With a ripped format and a proper plugin I could play them on Foobar or something else.

Arbee
Interested

Post by Arbee » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:45 pm

There already is a ripped format and a proper plugin - it's called .vgm. The Project 2612 guys have done a fantastic job with the vgm rips, and it's unlikely you'll hear any difference between a vgm and actually running the driver in M1, assuming the vgm plugin has all the latest YM2612 fixes from this board.

Also, ClrMAMEPro should be able to rename the sets easily.

LocalH
Very interested

Post by LocalH » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:29 pm

VGM is not a ripped format - "merely" a highly-optimized logging format.

A ripped format is one where the music driver and data are ripped directly from the ROM and used under what is essentially an emulator for the system with no video output - see NSF/SID/SPC.

tomaitheous
Very interested

Post by tomaitheous » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:48 pm

LocalH wrote:see NSF/SID/SPC/HES.
Fixed ;)

SmartOne
Very interested

Post by SmartOne » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:19 am

Can I accurately say logging or ripping is better because one will always take less space and will be more efficient (when fully optimized?) Or does it really depend on the source?

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:55 am

ripping is better than logging... for example, a single VGM of Hellfire is much bigger than the whole game !!! and when you rip the music+player, you only get maybe 100K of data for ALL the music. A BIG difference.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen