Cosmic PI (Week # 8)

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

orlanrod
Very interested

Cosmic PI (Week # 8)

Post by orlanrod » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:52 am

Hey fellow Sega fans, i am announcing i am working on my first small original game called "Cosmic PI"

Image Image

Genre: two player action-adventure game, with a comical tone.
Plot: A galactic organization called the Lawful Eyes are investigating a major case in the metropolis of Redium, that is under chaos from creatures calling themselves the Slush. They are tasked in uncovering information that might lead to the source of their origins.

Log week # 1
I been eager to try out making a game with my favorite console, but i did not want to learn assembly so i went with SGDK. Note that I have no programming experience besides game scripting, so progress might be slow going. So far i learned how to display a sprite, and a background.
Even my own crappy tile collision, with zorder change. The toughest area next is the collision with moving objects, combat hit collision, and dialog boxes i need to do for the game.

No demo for today, but it will come next week. Need to fix a minor issue with the animation causing flicker. If you have any questions or comments, please do post! 8)

See ya next week.

Log week # 2
Back with a Youtube video, of the alpha build of Cosmic PI (Sorry for the flicker, as the recording was doing that to the emulator)
https://youtu.be/Mp1yEQMcAqY

No music or sound effects, until i start working on the story portion. Also the zorder is not properly done yet, so i have to rework it to use with many sprites. Still need the dialog conversations, hitbox collisions for the combat portion.

I'll be back next week with more progress. See ya!

Log week # 3

I been sick for a few days, so not much traction since last time. But, i got a sprite test video for my Jaris character in Beat em up combat mode, using Construct 2 to quickly mock it up.

https://youtu.be/Y6Rc-zYUPeQ

I choose to use large sprites, since it shows of my artistic skills better than tiny sprites in the world view. Next week i'll be back with some actual progress on the game. See ya!

Log week # 4

So after last week's pondering, i decided that i would double the size of the none combat mode parts of the game.
Not only because that obviously looks better, but also because i want to tell the story not with cutscene stills
like most of the older games. Istead, do it like a jrpg, where i use the sprites do to the scripted scenes.
The difference being with my game, i will take advantage of the aditional size of the sprites to use facial expressions
too to enhance emotional attachment. Older Japanes games usually just use symbols over their heads, to compisate for the lack
of mouths on the character. I feel that can remove emergion.

But yeah, i spent the week redoing the character sprites for that size. I still need more weeks to do more sprites for variantion in
the different cities and towns that will be in the game. While i am doing that, i will be growing my design document, so i don't try
winging the gameplay far into the development of the game. Currently i wrote about 40% of the stuff i think i want, but will continue
working on it until about 90% completion. Then i'll come back to the code so i am not lost in what to do next.

In case you are wondering, i will only develop the game up to Act 1 of the story. Act 1 is pretty big demo by itself so it should give a good
idea of the game for people. If there is interest in the game and such, i might do a kickstarter/indiegogo type campaign, so i can direct
my full attention on this project.

I spend the majority of my time cleaning/cooking and selling games for mobile phones/tablets.

Any who, See ya next week!

Log week # 5

Hey everyone

This week, i spent a little bit of time on the game design document. But mostly i am having some physical issues with my upper abdominal area, which is giving me recurring shortness of breath and low blood pressure. No health insurance (America) so, i am going to slow down from time to time, and work on my good days. But, i will indeed continue progress. Although, i am not going to bump the thread for this week.

Any who, see you guys next week hopefully with more progress.

Log week # 6

Hey everyone, i am back for another news update.

So, i am been feeling better but not 100%. I managed to get some art done for this week, though, so everything is on track.

These are a few of the main characters you'll be in contact with in the game in act 1. I will reveal who they are as i build a demo of Act 1, after more art is completed. Still need the rest of the main chars, plus the generic npc sprites that will be in the game.

Any who, i will see you next week with more progress hopefully!

Log week # 7

Hey guys.

I will be skipping this week with updates, as i have been working on projects related to my mobile games job. I will be back next week, with more updates though. I have made two new accounts on other sites, just to further promote myself.

Newgrounds: orlanrod.newgrounds.com/follow
Deviant Art: http://orlanrod.deviantart.com/

Log week # 8

Back with a new update. Here is a mockup screenshot of the larger sprites, with the new tiles.

Going to start increasing production speed a little, as i have slowed down on my job projects for next week. I'm also going to buy the flash cart, as i definitely need it, when i start programming again. That will not come until the end of the year, as i round up some money.

Anywho, i shall see you guys next week!
Last edited by orlanrod on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:01 am, edited 12 times in total.

nolddor
Very interested

Re: Cosmic PI

Post by nolddor » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:46 am

Hello & Welcome,

If you need some help with your game don't hesitate to ask in SGDK subforum.
Apart from that, If you need some help translating your game into Spanish please send me a PM. I'll be really happy to translate it =)

Good Look and Welcome again to the scene.

orlanrod
Very interested

Post by orlanrod » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:39 pm

nolddor wrote:Hello & Welcome,

If you need some help with your game don't hesitate to ask in SGDK subforum.
Apart from that, If you need some help translating your game into Spanish please send me a PM. I'll be really happy to translate it =)

Good Look and Welcome again to the scene.
Hey nolddor!

Yep, i been asking around in the forums, and will continue to do so. They been very helpful.

Cool. I'll keep you in mind, once i get all the major things of the gameplay needed in, so i can concentrate on the story. 8)

orlanrod
Very interested

Post by orlanrod » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:17 am

New blog post! Check the first post. 8)

orlanrod
Very interested

Post by orlanrod » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:05 pm

New blog post up! Check the first post for details. 8)

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:49 am

I definitely like large sprites better (especially since this is hardware that should cope with it).
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

orlanrod
Very interested

Post by orlanrod » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:15 am

Sik wrote:I definitely like large sprites better (especially since this is hardware that should cope with it).
Yeah, i agree. I might also just double the size of the world sprites as well, just so it's not a huge difference in appearance.

orlanrod
Very interested

Post by orlanrod » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:18 pm

Back with another weekly blog, so check the top post! 8)

dub
Very interested

Post by dub » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:51 am

Very nice assets. Good job.

orlanrod
Very interested

Re: Cosmic PI (Week # 6)

Post by orlanrod » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:43 am

New blog post is up! 8)

orlanrod
Very interested

Re: Cosmic PI (Week # 7)

Post by orlanrod » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:01 am

Week 8 of development is up on the first post! 8)

SegaTim
Very interested

Re: Cosmic PI (Week # 8)

Post by SegaTim » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:07 pm

Nice work. It is looked perfectly!