wolfenstein demo for sega genesis

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:30 am

Oh... the wait...!
Wonder if gasega68k already had time to work on this project some more, and maybe add some new enemies. :D

Regarding the pickups topic, how exactly does the SNES edition does this anyway (if anyone knows)?

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:14 pm

inu wrote:Oh... the wait...!
Wonder if gasega68k already had time to work on this project some more, and maybe add some new enemies. :D
Well, I've been fixing some bugs and I made some small optimizations, and I've also added dogs and SS, and I want to add the end of level screen, in a few days I'll be posting this new version, which will already be almost complete (the first episode), and only left to do the final boss of the episode, add a few more things on the menu of options, the option to save the game, the end of episode sequence, some other things I can not remember now, and maybe fix some more errors.
inu wrote:Regarding the pickups topic, how exactly does the SNES edition does this anyway (if anyone knows)?
Well, now to grab the items are exactly like the original, before it was not, because when the objects they were very close, a small error occurred and therefore had to modify a variable, but not much (I did not remember that I had done this), but now I've already corrected and can now be more easily grab the items. :)

I'll talk more in detail when I posted the new version, in a few days. :)

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:46 pm

gasega68k wrote:Well, I've been fixing some bugs and I made some small optimizations, and I've also added dogs and SS, and I want to add the end of level screen, in a few days I'll be posting this new version, which will already be almost complete (the first episode), and only left to do the final boss of the episode, add a few more things on the menu of options, the option to save the game, the end of episode sequence, some other things I can not remember now, and maybe fix some more errors.
Now I'm not sure if it's easier or harder to wait for the next release. :P

Save game?! Now that I did not see coming at all, I wonder what's the plan for that feature.

And thank you for the update~

cleeg
Interested

Post by cleeg » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:48 am

I imagine it'll be an SRAM save feature? That'd be cool, although save states work really well on the MED they can be a bit tricky to get right sometimes (music issues).

Looking forward to the next release too!

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:08 pm

Hello, I'm here again with a new update of the rom. :)
I have added dogs and SS , I've also added screen end of level ( intermission ), I've also added the code to get 1 life for each 40,000 points (this should have done long ago, but I had forgotten), plus I have corrected several errors which are:
The collision with the enemy is now fixed (finally), and will not get stuck with the enemy. :)
Fixed error strafe diagonally, now it is possible.
Now it is easier to grab the items (now it is as in the original).
Also there was a bug where when you chose the buttons X, Y, Z or M to the OPEN action did not work, only worked A, B or C, is now corrected.
Also had a small error in the AI of the enemies, though it was hard to notice, I noticed this because I was testing the Pc version and saw a small difference in how it behaved one of the enemies is now corrected.
And now the 6-button mode is automatically selected if present.

The option to save the game I'll do different from the original, in the original PC game a lot of variables are saved: as the exact position of the player, the level collected items, ammo, score, lives, also state each enemy: coordinates (x, y), if I was shooting, walking, if he died, ... etc, doors: if they were open or not, sliding walls which are activated, ... etc, and so much memory and even more to have several "slots" as in the PC would be needed. The method I'm going to do is to save the game when starting a new level, ie when a level is completed and before starting another, an option to save the game appears. Thus, not much memory would need to save as the original, still including several "slots", but the difference is that you can only save at the beginning of each level.

Here is the new version: :D
http://www.mediafire.com/download/lka7j ... f3d_b7.rar

cleeg
Interested

Post by cleeg » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:46 pm

Excellent stuff!

ICEknight
Very interested

Post by ICEknight » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:00 am

Great update!

Just something I've noticed: It seems like grabbing the objects is a bit more difficult to do if you approach them by walking backwards.

Regarding the saving feature, I'd try to avoid prompting the user to save after each level. After all, saving would always be the player's default, so in case that having the option of not saving is really needed, I'd have an "Autosave: On/Off" option present in the Load/Save menus.

Oh, and something a bit odd I've also noticed. There's sometimes this faint cricket-like sound playing with some music tracks... But I assume this only happens on real hardware, due to the systems own inner interferences?

buricco
Interested

Post by buricco » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:01 am

ICEknight wrote:Great update!
Regarding the saving feature, I'd try to avoid prompting the user to save after each level. After all, saving would always be the player's default, so in case that having the option of not saving is really needed, I'd have an "Autosave: On/Off" option present in the Load/Save menus.
Would agree with this one.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:06 am

The new stuff is so great !
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:44 pm

First off, great new beta release!
It's just really ALMOST complete that first chapter, and with one more boss we can start aiming for 100% playthroughs of it. :P
gasega68k wrote:Now it is easier to grab the items (now it is as in the original).
ICEknight wrote:Just something I've noticed: It seems like grabbing the objects is a bit more difficult to do if you approach them by walking backwards.
It really is a VAST improvement from previous versions. It feels much more natural, and accurate now to grab items!
But regarding picking up items by walking backwards, I didn't feel it was possible in previous beta releases ICEknight.
ICEknight wrote:Regarding the saving feature, I'd try to avoid prompting the user to save after each level. After all, saving would always be the player's default, so in case that having the option of not saving is really needed, I'd have an "Autosave: On/Off" option present in the Load/Save menus.
Well, I've been thinking a lot about this saving feature too, not that it matters to gasega68k master plan, but we can discuss it as players. :P

So, if it's autosaved after a chapter end. It means, that no matter if the chapter goes well for you or not (lets say, if you miss you target time by 1 second) the game will save there, ruining all you progress until that point.
If it's not autosaved, it means you get to chose when your progress it's actually worth recording, but you'll have to go through that extra menu every time.
It's actually an interesting implementation. It doesn't break how the game originally works. Of course, it makes having lives to finish the game pointless tho, but the original game allowed saving anywhere anyway.
I guess the optimal implementation would be Off/Ask/Auto.

Personally I would probably rather have a password system to do the same thing, as we can simply share the passwords, but then again, I find that the game doesn't even need such feature to be perfect. :)

Edit:
Finally got around to test the game on another emulator (BizHawk), and it seems like the described issue is not present... Damn Kega Fusion keeps letting me down!
Last edited by inu on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

buricco
Interested

Post by buricco » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:38 pm

Passwords would make sense, yeah.

ICEknight
Very interested

Post by ICEknight » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:38 am

Choosing passwords over saved games? Whaaat. :shock:
inu wrote:
ICEknight wrote:It seems like grabbing the objects is a bit more difficult to do if you approach them by walking backwards.
But regarding picking up items by walking backwards, I didn't feel it was possible in previous beta releases ICEknight.
I guess I had never tried doing that before. :P

Oerg866
Very interested

Post by Oerg866 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:02 am

ICEknight wrote:Choosing passwords over saved games? Whaaat. :shock:
This. We're living in 2014, you know.

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:47 pm

Oerg866 wrote:
ICEknight wrote:Choosing passwords over saved games? Whaaat. :shock:
This. We're living in 2014, you know.
I recognizes suggesting passwords over save game for the function described was not totally thought out, as unlike game like Sonic 3, Phantasy Star or The Story of Thor, it doesn't really matter if the battery ever goes dry and we lose all the data at some point.
Or course passwords don't have that limitation, but they're not as convenient.
Flash Carts don't have that limitation either, but I rather leave those out of discussion.

Also, if the game is ever upgraded to Sega CD, the feature is already there and tested. But now I'm just poking at everyone's dreams for no reason. :P

Rob55Levo

Post by Rob55Levo » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:14 pm

I just played through to the last level of the first episode, where the boss should be (on my Everdrive), you have done a great job! cant wait for the next update! I'm playing it on a pal system so obviously its a bit slower, but I got use to it easy enough.