Game Raccoon - Open Hardware/Software SD Card Cart

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

MrD
Very interested

Game Raccoon - Open Hardware/Software SD Card Cart

Post by MrD » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:20 am

I've completed the website for the Game Raccoon SD Card flash cart. :)

http://www.mrdictionary.net/gameraccoon/

This cart is the end result of my research into hardware design, made possible by the assistance of users on this forum. :)

Each revision has a Technical Report, which is a basic description of how the cart works, with the schematics and EAGLE files available under an open hardware license and the on-board PIC firmware and 68k Flash-resident menu available under AGPL3. *

The Misadventures are (very) lengthy blogs about the journey from a blank sheet of paper to Revision 0, and from there to the fully-functioning Revision 1. That's also where you'll find links to the latest compatibility spreadsheets.

This page isn't 'super duper' released yet - I haven't linked it to the front page of my website or announced it. I'm doing the last proof-reading and checking of the downloads first. I also need to find myself an artist to work on the cute mascot raccoon animations during the copy operations!

* I'm not super attached to the licenses, I'm just sick of dithering about it. You can ask, but if you think you need another license, you're probably good enough to rewrite the code anyway. :)

Please ask me anything! If there's something I've seriously messed up, please let me know.

I'm not manufacturing or selling Game Raccoon carts, and don't have any plans to right now. The plans are there if you want to see how it works and mess about and make your own. :D

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Re: Game Raccoon - Open Hardware/Software SD Card Cart

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:40 am

Very nice! I like that you've been posting all the info about it. It was fun to follow the development. :D

MrD
Very interested

Post by MrD » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:47 pm

Couldn't have done it without you. :)

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:28 pm

Well, that's exactly what this board is for - helping devs with Sega consoles. I hope it sticks around for a long time. Even those times when I was so burnt out I quit checking other boards, I was always here.