Mode 7 demo for Genesis/MD

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:28 pm

It requires 16bit 64 KB SRAM where almost flashcart (except Mega Everdrive) use 8bit 64 KB SRAM.

greatkreator
Very interested

Post by greatkreator » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:19 am

Stef wrote:It requires 16bit 64 KB SRAM where almost flashcart (except Mega Everdrive) use 8bit 64 KB SRAM.
Actually I have Mega Everdrive.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:54 pm

Oh really O_o ? did you enabled the SRAM ? I though it was working only with Mega Everdrive.

greatkreator
Very interested

Post by greatkreator » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:56 pm

Stef wrote:Oh really O_o ? did you enabled the SRAM ? I though it was working only with Mega Everdrive.
How to enable SRAM on Mega Everdrive?

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:14 am

Do be honest I don't even know if you have this option, it was short of rhetoric question :)

BroOfTheSun
Interested

Post by BroOfTheSun » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi, not sure if you guys read articles on kotaku, but your work with Mode 7 was posted here: http://kotaku.com/f-zero-on-the-genesis ... 1690526006

Thought I would share this article. Also, great job with the demo!

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:24 pm

greatkreator wrote:
Stef wrote:It requires 16bit 64 KB SRAM where almost flashcart (except Mega Everdrive) use 8bit 64 KB SRAM.
Actually I have Mega Everdrive.
I believe that only some versions of MED work correctly, I think it's the first version of MED, I do not remember exactly, but I think Chilly Willy said that in the Sega-16 forum.

This is another demo I did, right after "Sonic Kart":
http://www.mediafire.com/download/zzz1u ... tm7_gt.rar

I used graphics of a GBA game, called GT advance. This demo like the SK, still had no collision.
In this demo texture pixels are larger because the "view" is closer to the track and therefore appears to have a greater range of vision in the distance. That's how I want to do the G-zero.

By the way there is another person who made the mode7, it is a hack of sonic1 that has the special stage in mode7 of SonicCD, I do not know if anyone had seen this before:
http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.p ... topic=3239

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:44 pm

Thanks Gasega for the update and informations :)
I already saw the sonic 1 hack and the final result was pretty impressive but i think it was released after the Pier Solar pseudo mode 7 thing and looks imo almost identical in performance and resolution. Still very interesting to read the technicals informations on the progress topic =)

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:44 am

Hello everyone, here is a new update of G-zero. :)

I made a new map, with new graphics, it has nothing to do with the original F-Zero, maybe just a little in the backgrounds, which is a mix of two F-zero backgrounds of SNES and GBA.

I added music (made by Raijin) thanks to Stef XGM driver, I've also added a sound effect when you hit the ship.

I also made the logo of G-zero with a scaling code at 30fps. :)

I made a "fadeout effect" (I think that's the name) using the "shadow" and two color palettes, but later I will do this using only a palette, changing the palette in the middle of the frame, using the same palette Color used for the background, I've already made a demo changing the palette, but I want to test it on real hardware before I post it.
By the use of shadow the demo has more than 64 colors. :P

I had wanted to go further on this, but I was updating Wolf3D. The next version of g-zero will add many more things I had thought to add, and also perhaps show a first version of sonic kart. :D

Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bbd6n ... ro_b4d.rar

haroldoop
Very interested

Post by haroldoop » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:50 am

Looks awesome so far! :D

MrTamk1s
Very interested

Post by MrTamk1s » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:11 pm

Really like the addition of the shadow highlighting towards the horizon, and the animated map parts (the purple pit lane)!
SGDK homebrew dev and Unity3D Indie dev.
Sega does what Nintendont!

ob1
Very interested

Post by ob1 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:35 am

Amazing !

Congratulations !

gasega68k
Very interested

Re: Mode 7 demo for Genesis/MD

Post by gasega68k » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:16 am

Hello everyone, this is a WIP of "sonic Kart" now called Sonic Team Racing.
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwW5y4rrvwk

Many graphics were taken from Sonic 1 as the backgrounds and some sprites. The graphics of the track, are based a bit on Super Mario Kart (the graphics of the tiles for the mode 7), but are brand new.

The music is from Sonic 3D Blast, Green Grove Zone Act1, using the driver XGM by Stef.

Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ybnb8 ... c_T_Rh2.7z

In the file I include two versions of the ROM, one that uses the external RAM 64k, and the other that does not need external RAM, but the size of the ROM is greater.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:20 am

I just tested it and it absolutely rocks =)
You even implemented collisions with the map (cannot go outside map and you go faster when you are on the road).
I think the kart could go a little faster for better speed feeling but maybe that can be selectable later in the game (as mario kart with 50/100/150cc selection) =) It's very cool you made a version without external ram requirement so we can test it on real hardware :) But I think that if you plan to do the game in real cart format you will have to go with the external RAM option of course to preserve ROM space and allow better performance. It's so close to 30 FPS (28/29 FPS), i don't know how much room left for optimizations but hitting 30 FPS would be amazing as here we can feel we are not perfectly stable (1/2 frame update but 1/3 from time to time).
Keep up your amazing work :)

BigEvilCorporation
Very interested

Post by BigEvilCorporation » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:51 am

This is getting thrown onto a cartridge so fast when I get home. Excellent work!
A blog of my Megadrive programming adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk