Mode 7 demo for Genesis/MD

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

lingh
Interested

Post by lingh » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:50 am

Wow, great demo.

Working in my flashcart, but with missing data (32k max for SRAM, I think).

Image Image

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:57 am

Yeah it gives me similar artifacts on my everdrive (not really the same but close).

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:03 am

I've been optimizing a bit this demo, now runs between 27 to 28 fps (instead of 26-27), but there are several things that can be optimized, and I think that could exceed 30 fps.
This engine is ideal for a game like Mario Kart, which is what I would like to try to do, perhaps one with characters from sonic, "alextheman" from sega-16 suggested the name "Sonic Drift 3D", I think that would be a good name. :)

A few days ago I never would have thought about making a game like Mario Kart, but when I started doing this, and saw that the engine has worked so well, I decided I should at least try to make a game. This is something I want to do slowly, right now I'm in the process of optimizing and correcting certain things, but I definitely want to try to do at least one game (or two, perhaps a "Md-Zero"?). Although in the coming days I will resume Wolf3D, I'll also be doing some of this "sonic drift 3d" I do not know how that will turn out but I think I should at least try. :)

ICEknight
Very interested

Post by ICEknight » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:52 pm

Wow, I've just seen this demo for the first time and I can't believe it! Amazing job! :shock:

I think a proper Super Mario Kart port would be a more realistic goal (and, personally, a more appealing one) than a brand new Sonic fan game, mainly because SMK is already designed and, judging from a lot of projects I've seen over the years, designing a whole new fan game, with its characters, items, backgrounds, sounds, maps, gimmicks, gameplay, game balance, AI behavior, menus, etc etc usually doesn't get past a one level demo with preliminary menus, at most. Kind of what happened with the (now cancelled) brand new game from the guy who had already created Super Mario Bros Crossover.

Also, having Super Mario Kart running on the Mega Drive would just be as awesome as ironic, and the next most interesting and unexpected port after Wolfenstein 3D. :P

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:01 am

Make a Super Mario Kart in Genesis will be the same as doing a "Super Sonic Kart", since there is no "source" of SMK, although it is possible to extract musics and sound effects, but still have to do the movements, AI , gameplay, etc.

For sprites and backgrounds no problems, because you can get many on pages dedicated to "sprites" (as spriters-resource.com, in fact I downloaded a lot of sprites from the Sonic series, modified to resemble SMK in the section custom / edited) on the maps is not so difficult to make them. :wink:

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:00 pm

I have been "investigating" a bit of SMK and F-zero games of Snes, and these are some things I've seen: SMK has 7 kart racers (8 counting the player), there is a maximum of 16 objects (for example in the first circuit, pipes) around the circuit, not including objects thrown by the players (like bananas), all karts can be on screen at the same time.

Now on F-zero this is what I saw: it seems that there are 20 cars (or ships), (there is no other object, only cars), but actually I'm not sure, because only five can be displayed on screen at the same time (by watching the space occupied in Vram using emulator with Debugger, you can only have 5, or 6 counting the player), but I could not make it show more than 4, plus I'm not sure of the number of cars (or ships), because only you can know that there are 20 cars when you lose places up to the number 20, or maybe there are only 3 or 4 (I think they are 3) actually are "competing" and others just "appear" when you lose the first 3 or 4 places.

I prefer to make a "md Zero" (or mega-zero) with 8 cars (7 + player), which actually be "competing" as in the SMK, I'll start doing something, but I also like to do the "Sonic Kart". If we compare, do a "md-zero" would be much easier, since it has no other object than cars, plus the "AI" seems to be much simpler (if any).

Meanwhile here is another version of "Sonic Kart" a little more optimized and the "scroll of mode7" fixed (previously could produce some small errors) and also now you can "drive" Sonic. With A: accelerate, and B: brake, although there is still no collision with the scenario. Later, when I have something done, I will be showing a demo of "md-zero", and although now I'll start again with Wolf3D, I will also be doing the "md-zero" and then "Sonic Kart". :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/v416c ... ickart.rar

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:16 pm

Works well. It's a little nicer with the kart - really gives you a feel for how a game would do.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:36 pm

gasega68k wrote:I have been "investigating" a bit of SMK and F-zero games of Snes, and these are some things I've seen: SMK has 7 kart racers (8 counting the player), there is a maximum of 16 objects (for example in the first circuit, pipes) around the circuit, not including objects thrown by the players (like bananas), all karts can be on screen at the same time.

Now on F-zero this is what I saw: it seems that there are 20 cars (or ships), (there is no other object, only cars), but actually I'm not sure, because only five can be displayed on screen at the same time (by watching the space occupied in Vram using emulator with Debugger, you can only have 5, or 6 counting the player), but I could not make it show more than 4, plus I'm not sure of the number of cars (or ships), because only you can know that there are 20 cars when you lose places up to the number 20, or maybe there are only 3 or 4 (I think they are 3) actually are "competing" and others just "appear" when you lose the first 3 or 4 places.

I prefer to make a "md Zero" (or mega-zero) with 8 cars (7 + player), which actually be "competing" as in the SMK, I'll start doing something, but I also like to do the "Sonic Kart". If we compare, do a "md-zero" would be much easier, since it has no other object than cars, plus the "AI" seems to be much simpler (if any).

Meanwhile here is another version of "Sonic Kart" a little more optimized and the "scroll of mode7" fixed (previously could produce some small errors) and also now you can "drive" Sonic. With A: accelerate, and B: brake, although there is still no collision with the scenario. Later, when I have something done, I will be showing a demo of "md-zero", and although now I'll start again with Wolf3D, I will also be doing the "md-zero" and then "Sonic Kart". :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/v416c ... ickart.rar
Really good drive feeling and smooth frame rate =)
The only thing that annoy me a bit is the mode 7 perspective which seems a bit off for farther elements. It looks like the Z perspective is calculated in a linear way where it should be more "exponential".

ob1
Very interested

Post by ob1 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:43 pm

Amazing !
Congrats !
We should have developped a game.
25 years ago :D

bastien
Very interested

Post by bastien » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:20 pm

Yes it's really amazing.
Congrat for that :twisted:

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:40 pm

Hello, this is the first version of "G-Zero", although it is still a very preliminary demo, lacks many things (like music) and the collision is still very simple. It is a bit more optimized, even though I'll optimize it a bit more and also want to increase slightly the size of the "render", and also want to add an effect of tilting.

With the B button accelerate, button A is the brake, and the C button is the "Megaturbo". :twisted:

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/30cs9 ... o_test.rar

haroldoop
Very interested

Post by haroldoop » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:37 pm

It looks amazing! :shock:

ICEknight
Very interested

Post by ICEknight » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:46 pm

Amazing... and wow, that speed!

Unfortunately, the graphics look really scrambled on my actual Japanese Mega Drive, for some reason... :(

greatkreator
Very interested

Post by greatkreator » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:07 am

Really cool feeling while driving!
But the ground is a pure random.
"Racing on the random"
Is it because Sega Genesis 2? or intented?
As far I understand it should be like on the images above. Isn't it?

ICEknight
Very interested

Post by ICEknight » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:09 am

greatkreator wrote:Really cool feeling while driving!
But the ground is a pure random.
"Racing on the random"
Is it because Sega Genesis 2? or intented?
As far I understand it should be like on the images above. Isn't it?
Yeah, that's what I meant. It also happens on my MD1.