Pseudo-3D road demo

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

M-374 LX
Very interested
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:15 pm
Contact:

Post by M-374 LX » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:48 pm

Eke wrote:I was wondering why the road effect was not displayed on real hardware and Genesis Plus GX.

It turns out you accidentally set bit 2 in VDP register #0 which results in freezing the HV counter. This feature is not supported by most emulators but you might want to fix it since your code relies on HV counter :wink:

Also, it seems like the demo hangs on real hardware (controls do not respond): I suspect this is because DMA is left enabled in VDP register #1 even when not being used but I am not sure
Thanks for the feedback. This will be taken into account in the next release, along with hills.

Mask of Destiny
Very interested
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:30 am

Post by Mask of Destiny » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:59 pm

Eke wrote:I was wondering why the road effect was not displayed on real hardware and Genesis Plus GX.

It turns out you accidentally set bit 2 in VDP register #0 which results in freezing the HV counter. This feature is not supported by most emulators but you might want to fix it since your code relies on HV counter :wink:
Good to know. I was worried I might have another bug in BlastEm to track down when I saw the road was not working there.
Eke wrote:Also, it seems like the demo hangs on real hardware (controls do not respond): I suspect this is because DMA is left enabled in VDP register #1 even when not being used but I am not sure
I'm pretty sure there are commercial games that leave DMA enabled without any ill effect. I seem to remember I checked a few at one point. Galaxy Force II disables DMA and depends on this being emulated, but that's just because it's a buggy mess and accidentally triggers extra DMA operations if it's not disabled.

M-374 LX
Very interested
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:15 pm
Contact:

Post by M-374 LX » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:27 pm

A new version has been released. It adds hills, which are not yet perfect.

inu
Very interested
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 10:12 am

Post by inu » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:36 pm

It's starting to feel like the start of something really cool. :)

djcouchycouch
Very interested
Posts: 683
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:44 am

Post by djcouchycouch » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:51 am

Have you ever seen the Reassembler blog?
http://reassembler.blogspot.ca
He worked on porting/converting the original OutRun arcade to C. He has a few posts talking about how the roads were done.

M-374 LX
Very interested
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:15 pm
Contact:

Post by M-374 LX » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:02 am

djcouchycouch wrote:Have you ever seen the Reassembler blog?
http://reassembler.blogspot.ca
He worked on porting/converting the original OutRun arcade to C. He has a few posts talking about how the roads were done.
Yes, I know about Cannonball.

I have noticed that while Outrun, as well as the current version of this demo, bends the road continuously when the player gets close to a curve, Super Monaco GP bends the road (race track in the case) by discrete amounts.

Post Reply