wolfenstein demo for sega genesis

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

Rob55Levo

Post by Rob55Levo » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:27 pm

the whole game.... looking forward to it man! :)

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:49 am

gasega68k wrote:On the PC, the menu "customize" is separated from "control", and so I'll do it too, in the menu "control" will be the options "3 button", "6 button" and "customize" and then, in the menu "customize" will be the configuration of buttons, depending on the type of the chosen control.

Now the method to configure it (to maintain the "A=accept, B=back"), I think I could do also similar to PC: First, choose the action, then press "A, C", a small box appears (where the button corresponding to the action shown), indicating that is waiting for a button, then press the desired button and the box disappears.
That approach sounds quite ideal. The extra menu will hide the sudden available button swapping from view, waiting for a key will ensure there are no duplicated actions and it's fast to rebind.
Just hope having Strafe, Strafe_L and Strafe_R won't require too much extra work, because players will likely try to press them all at once while panicking or to try and break things. :P
gasega68k wrote:I've added the "Sound Test", I have also done the "Demo playback", and also add sound when BJ (player) dies, at first wanted to do with PSG, but it was very difficult, so I did it with sample (PCM). :wink:
Those 2 options alone... next release sounds lots of fun already!
We'll all see how well BJ's dieing voice sounds soon. Muahahaha!
gasega68k wrote:I want to make the next update, the last of the "Shareware version" (the first episode), so I want to add all that remained, also would like to know if anyone has more suggestions of anything I could add.

I have been drawn (converting) the graphics on the walls and other enemies, for the other 5 episodes, just need some code (or a fair amount of code) for other enemies, and also the music for the other levels. I hope to finish it before the end of the year. :)
Great news! :D That way we can just focus on finding small mistakes or bugs for a long while after, and let you focus on the first console port of W3D Spear of Destiny. Just kidding. :lol: But hope you have other project in mind already, it's uncommon to see this kind of polish on homebrew, and damn, it really makes is stand out in the most positive way possible! This has been one of the most exciting projects to follow.

Regarding changes...
The game itself feels pretty much 'perfect' to me. There might be some little things missing, but at least I could not notice any, other than the loading screen bar that was already mentioned.
Actually, I find it's not very easy to "stun lock" enemies with the knife like it is on a PC, perhaps because it's a bit slower, but this is really a very minor detail.
All the stuff I noticed missing is menu related.
There's the Control\Customize menu that you already found a good solution for, so that's one less thing.
There's the issue with the non-standard placement\color for the "A,C = Select B = Back". On most menus it's yellow at the bottom, but in others, like Sound, Graphics and Debug, it's gray... and not at the bottom.
The menu "Graphics" is not centered at least, there might be other menus with minor alignment issues. :)
Hope it helps.

ICEknight
Very interested

Post by ICEknight » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:49 pm

You're right, since I add the graphics for the menus, I do not like how it turned out the "control" menu, so I'll do it more similar to PC. On the PC, the menu "customize" is separated from "control", and so I'll do it too, in the menu "control" will be the options "3 button", "6 button" and "customize" and then, in the menu "customize" will be the configuration of buttons, depending on the type of the chosen control.
Sounds like a nice improvement, and anything that makes it look a little more like the PC original is cool in my book. :)

Regarding the "Save Game" feature between levels, I've found it a bit flow-breaking, having its own additional "scene" for the separate prompt. I think it would speed things up if, after the score tally, the message was just displayed on top of the screen, in the same way as the "Quit game?" prompts in the PC version.

It would be also nice to have the option for turning it off, though. Perhaps something like:
-SAVE MODE:
--Automatic -> Always uses the latest loaded file for saving after each level, without asking (will only ask for a save file before starting a new game).
--Semi-automatic -> Asks after each level (current mode)
--Manual -> Must get into the menu in order to save.

Going back to the subject of graphic filters, would it be possible to implement a similar one to "Type 1 (1H-scr. Dynam)", but with horizontal alternating lines? This would take advantage of the interlaced video on CRT TVs, for those systems that aren't connected through an RF connector.

Some games like Castlevania MD (clouds in tower boss fight) or Altered Beast SMS (title screen) alternate even and odd horizontal lines in some places for fake transparencies when viewed through CRTs with non-RF connectors, and the results are seamless when pulled correctly (it took me some minutes to figure out what the Konami guys had done there, the first time I saw it on real hardware...)

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:28 am

inu wrote:Regarding changes...
The game itself feels pretty much 'perfect' to me. There might be some little things missing, but at least I could not notice any, other than the loading screen bar that was already mentioned.
Actually, I find it's not very easy to "stun lock" enemies with the knife like it is on a PC, perhaps because it's a bit slower, but this is really a very minor detail.
All the stuff I noticed missing is menu related.
There's the Control\Customize menu that you already found a good solution for, so that's one less thing.
There's the issue with the non-standard placement\color for the "A,C = Select B = Back". On most menus it's yellow at the bottom, but in others, like Sound, Graphics and Debug, it's gray... and not at the bottom.
The menu "Graphics" is not centered at least, there might be other menus with minor alignment issues. Smile
Hope it helps.
Everything about the menu I'm fixing it now, although the menu "Sound" will be a little different, instead of having "A, C = Select" "B = Back" at the bottom, you will only have "B = Back" because in the Sound Test, I will use the A Button to play, and C to stop.
The loading bar "Get psyched" is done, lasts about 1 second, but could be half a second.
ICEknight wrote:Regarding the "Save Game" feature between levels, I've found it a bit flow-breaking, having its own additional "scene" for the separate prompt. I think it would speed things up if, after the score tally, the message was just displayed on top of the screen, in the same way as the "Quit game?" prompts in the PC version.

It would be also nice to have the option for turning it off, though. Perhaps something like:
-SAVE MODE:
--Automatic -> Always uses the latest loaded file for saving after each level, without asking (will only ask for a save file before starting a new game).
--Semi-automatic -> Asks after each level (current mode)
--Manual -> Must get into the menu in order to save.
Yes, I think it's better as you say, put the option to save after level results are displayed in the same "screen" with a little message like the "quit game".

On the Mode to save the game, I could only add the first two: automatic and semi-automatic, because the "manual" mode require saving at the precise moment of the game, ie as a "save state" of an emulator, and for this you need to save a large amount of memory per slot, could do compressing the data, but still would not be enough for 10 slots (I think even 3). The method I chose just needs a little more than 100 bytes per slot, because only need to keep a few variables (score, lives, level, weapons ...) and then the level is loaded from scratch keeping these variables, this is like when you advance from one level to another.

I'm thinking of adding a new option that could be called "Misc. Options", in which I could add the option "save mode", plus others such as enable / disable "Get Psyched" screen, also could put "debug options" within it (inside of "misc options").
ICEknight wrote:Going back to the subject of graphic filters, would it be possible to implement a similar one to "Type 1 (1H-scr. Dynam)", but with horizontal alternating lines? This would take advantage of the interlaced video on CRT TVs, for those systems that aren't connected through an RF connector.
About filters, I'm not sure it works so well with the way you say, I think it would be something like interlaced mode and could give the feeling that the resolution (height) is reduced.

I'm open to suggestions, of course there are things that maybe I can not do, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to improve this port. :)

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:05 pm

gasega68k wrote:Everything about the menu I'm fixing it now, although the menu "Sound" will be a little different, instead of having "A, C = Select" "B = Back" at the bottom, you will only have "B = Back" because in the Sound Test, I will use the A Button to play, and C to stop.
The loading bar "Get psyched" is done, lasts about 1 second, but could be half a second.
Then perhaps it would make sense to have a "C = Clear", for the 6 button configuration too. As not all the actions are required, like the strafing modes, and would not require the strafing mode option you talked about before.
Would almost be worth it not to have C do anything in the other menus, just for consistency.
gasega68k wrote:On the Mode to save the game, I could only add the first two: automatic and semi-automatic, because the "manual" mode require saving at the precise moment of the game, ie as a "save state" of an emulator, and for this you need to save a large amount of memory per slot, could do compressing the data, but still would not be enough for 10 slots (I think even 3). The method I chose just needs a little more than 100 bytes per slot, because only need to keep a few variables (score, lives, level, weapons ...) and then the level is loaded from scratch keeping these variables, this is like when you advance from one level to another.

I'm thinking of adding a new option that could be called "Misc. Options", in which I could add the option "save mode", plus others such as enable / disable "Get Psyched" screen, also could put "debug options" within it (inside of "misc options").
Think I remember talks about this before. Might as well add that "Off" option as well, to make it jump the the next level right away, without being prompted to save. :)

ICEknight
Very interested

Post by ICEknight » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:52 pm

inu wrote:Might as well add that "Off" option as well, to make it jump the the next level right away, without being prompted to save. :)
The "Auto" mode would do just that, as well. The "Off" option you mention would be equivalent to the "Manual" mode I was talking about.

inu wrote:Would almost be worth it not to have C do anything in the other menus, just for consistency.
That would make it inconsistent with almost every game released on the system, so I don't think it's a wise idea.

gasega68k wrote:Everything about the menu I'm fixing it now, although the menu "Sound" will be a little different, instead of having "A, C = Select" "B = Back" at the bottom, you will only have "B = Back" because in the Sound Test, I will use the A Button to play, and C to stop.
Also for consistency, I think it might be more intuitive to assign C to "Play" (the main action) in that menu.

gasega68k wrote:On the Mode to save the game, I could only add the first two: automatic and semi-automatic, because the "manual" mode require saving at the precise moment of the game, ie as a "save state" of an emulator
Well, it could just be used to save the same data as in the other modes, only whenever the player wants to end his current session or wants to save the current progress into different slots.

gasega68k wrote:
ICEknight wrote:Going back to the subject of graphic filters, would it be possible to implement a similar one to "Type 1 (1H-scr. Dynam)", but with horizontal alternating lines? This would take advantage of the interlaced video on CRT TVs, for those systems that aren't connected through an RF connector.
About filters, I'm not sure it works so well with the way you say, I think it would be something like interlaced mode and could give the feeling that the resolution (height) is reduced.
Oh, it wouldn't need the special interlaced mode that Sonic 2 uses, if that's what you mean.

Those games use the regular screen modes and just do the same that's currently being done vertically, only in this way:
But only in the areas that need the effect, the rest of the screen remains normal.

I don't know if it's actually possible to implement in this case, but the final effect I saw was truly seamless on CRT TVs (unless you start blinking like possessed).

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:35 pm

Horizontal stripes won't blend like that, only on really small CRTs like those put into bedrooms.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

ICEknight
Very interested

Post by ICEknight » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:17 am

TmEE co.(TM) wrote:Horizontal stripes won't blend like that, only on really small CRTs like those put into bedrooms.
And that's exactly the type of CRT I saw that effect on. =|

But hey, it looked perfect in there.
Last edited by ICEknight on Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:32 am

ICEknight wrote:
TmEE co.(TM) wrote:Horizontal stripes won't blend like that, only on really small CRTs like those put into bedrooms.
And that's exactly the type of CRT I saw that effect on. =|

But hey, it looked perfect in there.
That's a big part of why people today bitch about how bad old systems look. They're looking at these games on a big modern LCD that deinterlaces, scales, and maybe tries enhancing a display that was meant to be shown on a small CRT, smearing the image so it blends. Today's TVs need a special mode for old systems. Maybe have some options for it that can be set in the menu, like horizontal and vertical blending levels.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:03 am

Here is another update of Wolf3D. :) These are the changes:

I have added the demo playback (2 demos: levels 1 and 4), and I've also added the credits screen.
I have added the sound when BJ dies (although I could change it to a voice sound, because I do not like this sound).
I've added a (fast) loading bar to "Get psyched" screen.
I have added the "sound test" within the sound menu.
I changed the menu "control", now the menu "costumize" is separate and also I have changed the mode to configure the buttons (to maintain the "A, C = change B = back" in the menus), you press "A, C "and a message is displayed, indicating that is waiting for a button, then the desired button is pressed and the message disappears. In 6-buttons mode I've added the option to choose between the normal "strafe" or "L, R" (using X and Z for "strafe_L" and "strafe_R"). When the "L, R" mode is activated, the "normal" strafe is disabled and also the X and Z buttons remain fixed for strafe_L and strafe_R.

The "debug" option now also includes "misc. Options" now called "Debug/misc". In "misc. Options" you can disable the "Get psyched" screen, and you can choose how to save the game between "normal" and "auto". Now all variables in the "debug" are shown in decimal, exept those of "player_x" and "player_y". Although the option "debug" will eventually remove (or hide it), because it is not necessary for the game.

Now the message to save the game is displayed on the same screen at the end of level after level results show.
The "auto-save" mode works like this: you must first select it in the menu "misc". If you start a new game, at the end of the level you will be asked for a "slot" to save the game, then at the end of the following levels will be saved in that "slot" without asking. Now if a game is loaded (and the "auto" mode is selected), at the end of the levels will be saved in the "slot" without asking, in other words the "auto-save" will use the last "slot" selected.

I have fixed two bugs related to the display of "high scores" one of them was that a different level is displayed when it should show the level 10, the other was a color error of texts and some graphics bugs in the "high score" when you finished the episode and going to the "high score".

Let me know what you think of the changes and also would like to know if anyone has other suggestions that might add to the game or something that should change.

Here's the new version (b10.5):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/4794a ... _b10.5.rar

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:34 pm

So many shiny new changes, so little time to test them all... a thousand times. :P

Let's start with the "Get Psyched" screen. Freaking love the changes!
Before I used to be mashing Start to skip it asap, now it doesn't bother me at all.
The loading bar filling and shorter time spent looking at that menu are really great changes.

The credits for this edition are also nice, like it was almost always meant to be there and actually part of the whole picture.
There's also the option of replacing the "DISTRIBUTION APOG3E" instead though. As it's the only part of the credits that's not true in any way for this version.

The character death sound is fine (IMO), easily recognizable (sadly :P) and very close to the original.

Since I really like the attract Demos in games, still gonna have to watch them 10000 more times until I can have an opinion about them.

Most of the "issues" I found were in the Sound menu.
The "boxes" around the text are not the same size, and would probably look nicer if they were.
"PCM S.E" 3 leaves a "beep" playing, at least on the 2 emulators I tried.
"PCM S.E" 29 doesn't make any sound (might be intended, but I'm still pointing it out).
Might wanna set the SFX\Music options in the same order as the "menu" bellow (Music > Sound effects > Digitized sounds), for organization purposes (not really important, just pointing it out).

Still no option to set the save mode to "NONE"\"OFF" (except the high score at the end), would be nice to have it too since you already went out of your way to create the "AUTO" mode.

Since there's still space in the controller customization options, actually spelling "Mode" instead of "M" would also make it neater. (Again, not really important, just leaving a suggestion.)

Not sure if it's intended, but when you're adding your name to the High Score, the position of the character is 1px too much to the left.

When on "L,R Strafe mode", might wanna consider also defaulting changing weapon to Mode, since it feels like it would be really easy to accidentally press Y while strafing.

Finally, this is a question for players that actually have an official 6 button controller.
How much better\worse you think strafing with X(L),Y(R) would be (since they're closer together, while still being close to Shooting and Running)?
I love the new L\R strafing mode, but my tested is limited to emulators and 3 button controllers. MD\Gen 6 button controllers are quite rare around these parts.

Was just very disappointed that we didn't get a small "easter egg", with voices from the other chapters not yet available. ;P (jk)

ICEknight
Very interested

Post by ICEknight » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:09 pm

I see that automatic saving has been implemented, great job!

The only gripe I have with it is that it still prompts after the first level, which kind of defeats its purpose. Would it be possible to make it save the game (first level with initial stats) right before the game starts?

inu wrote:Finally, this is a question for players that actually have an official 6 button controller.
How much better\worse you think strafing with X(L),Y(R) would be (since they're closer together, while still being close to Shooting and Running)?
L/R strafing is plain useless for official 6-button pads due to the button layout and shapes. No matter which buttons from the top row you use, the one-button strafe will always be far less confusing to use, unless you're using a SNES-style gamepad.

That said, there were a few gamepads with 4 face buttons released back in the day, which made Street Fighter and a few other fighting games control like it was an SNES. These transform Z into L (hard punch) and C into R (hard kick).
ImageImage

So in order to use those pads on real hardware like the SNES version, the buttons could be mapped like this:

Code: Select all

A -> Fire
B -> Open
C -> Strafe Right
X -> Run
Y -> Change weapon
Z -> Strafe Left
That would be just like the official controls on the SNES, plus an added "weapon change" button (instead of a duplicate "Run" button).

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:18 am

ICEknight wrote:No matter which buttons from the top row you use, the one-button strafe will always be far less confusing to use
Going to have to totally disagree on that. I've always found it very unintuitive to use before, and basically never used it, unless I was purposely testing strafing.
Since 10.5, I've been using strafing much more often due to the new setup.

The closest thing I own to a 6 button controller to test, is an old MS Sidewinder, but the buttons are very far apart on that controller.
It was still what gave me the idea about trying X and Y for sidestepping too though.

Anyway, at least adding an option for C\Z strafing wouldn't be a bad idea. But maybe we should brainstorm more, on what would be the ideal change (if it's even worth changing something).

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:09 am

The biggest problem with using a qualifier button + left/right to strafe is it eliminates the ability to circle strafe. You need strafe left/right to be separate from left/right to circle strafe.

ICEknight
Very interested

Post by ICEknight » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:13 am

inu wrote:
ICEknight wrote:No matter which buttons from the top row you use, the one-button strafe will always be far less confusing to use
Going to have to totally disagree on that.
The closest thing I own to a 6 button controller to test, is an old MS Sidewinder
How can you disagree if you haven't even tried the controller I'm talking about?

I'm using one and I can tell you that L/R strafing is the most impractical setup for that specific controller.