wolfenstein demo for sega genesis

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Thu May 08, 2014 5:45 am

Hi, as you have seen I have made a new video of version b8, although I was already doing for a little over a week, but I delayed a bit and should have done when I posted the latest version of the rom, also on some levels it becomes very difficult.
inu wrote:At 08:43, what's the deal with the dog barking as you're shooting that SS officer? xD
That's an error of file level, the game uses a system of "Areas" and in that specific space, where is the SS has a number of area that should not be, and I'll fix it in the next version . :wink:
By the way, I have already corrected the error mentioned by twosixonetwo, where the game went directly to the title screen when you were shooting at a guard, this only happened with the emulator Regen (at least never happened with other emulators), and the error caused an Address Error Exception.

Currently I have already made ​​the necessary changes to use Hint, and now the game goes up to 19fps, even without optimizations. :) I will also add finally the option of "filters" to improve the image as it is now easier to do.

Rob55Levo

Post by Rob55Levo » Thu May 08, 2014 5:54 am

I should of checked the thread, ;)

That the first three levels are now free is good news. I'm currently waiting for the next release before I play through the first chapter again on real hardware, BIG fan of this project! I'm a Sega fan-boy so it's great to see this homebrew kick Nintendo's ass....
The video improvements will be interesting to check out, I do have an RGB cable.....
thanks for the info.

ICEknight
Very interested

Post by ICEknight » Thu May 08, 2014 6:16 pm

What do you guys mean when referring to the filters as being for use with the RGB cable?

If they're still using alternating square pixels rather than vertical lines, the wall textures will still look pixellated when turning (I'm using RGB on real hardware and that's how it looks).

In fact, that mode might even look better when using composite, since the squares would possibly just blend into each other. =|

inu wrote:as 99% of the time we're just holding "B" to run.
How can you aim like that? I only run when no enemies are in sight anymore, or if I'm low on health and need to get out of some room...
Last edited by ICEknight on Thu May 08, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Thu May 08, 2014 6:40 pm

gasega64k wrote:Currently I have already made ​​the necessary changes to use Hint, and now the game goes up to 19fps, even without optimizations. :) I will also add finally the option of "filters" to improve the image as it is now easier to do.
I smell... another playthrough to test it out when ready. xD
Still now I wonder how well it will run with the optimizations in place.

The game already looks amazing with the dithering mode tho, even on emulator with scanlines at 25% or less opacity and simulated composite mode, to more or less simulate the real device.
So this mode is just like a nice bonus. :P
ICEknight wrote:What do you guys mean when referring to the filters as being for use with the RGB cable?

If they're still using alternating square pixels rather than vertical lines, the wall textures will still look pixellated when turning (I'm using RGB on real hardware and that's how it looks).
I was referring to the mode shown here since when we're using SCART RGB, dithering is not applicable. :P
ICEknight wrote:How can you aim like that? I only run when no enemies are in sight anymore, or if I'm low on health and need to get out of some room...
I don't know, I find its not that hard to aim, and I just have to release it for a moment in case I do need to aim more accurately. The MSDOS edition was about as fast as that by default so I guess it might come from there.
Actually in the new gasega64k's video, he seems to be running and run-aiming the vast majority of the time as well.
At the same time, not having the option suggested doesn't really bother me that much, and it's perfectly playable as is.

ICEknight
Very interested

Post by ICEknight » Thu May 08, 2014 6:58 pm

inu wrote:
ICEknight wrote:What do you guys mean when referring to the filters as being for use with the RGB cable?

I was referring to the mode shown here since when we're using SCART RGB, dithering is not applicable. :P
But it doesn't look light on RGB, because:
ICEknight wrote:If they're still using alternating square pixels rather than vertical lines, the wall textures will still look pixellated when turning (I'm using RGB on real hardware and that's how it looks).
ICEknight wrote:How can you aim like that? I only run when no enemies are in sight anymore, or if I'm low on health and need to get out of some room...
I don't know, I find its not that hard to aim, and I just have to release it for a moment in case I do need to aim more accurately. The MSDOS edition was about as fast as that by default so I guess it might come from there.
You mean when using a controller on the PC version? I really can't comment on that since I haven't checked.

buricco
Interested

Post by buricco » Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm

I used to always use a gamepad with Wolf3D.

The only thing that feels off is the chaingun seems to fire too slow.

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Fri May 09, 2014 2:41 pm

ICEknight wrote:But it doesn't look light on RGB
I was under the impression the change was still very helpful for SCART RGB users. (Personally can't test on real hardware as I don't own a flash cart.)
Well, it's an option that can't be turned on and off, so it's not gonna bring any problems at least.

I've seen this floating around, but doesn't sound like it's possible on the good old Mega Drive by itself or something, shame. Then again, I'm not sure what I'm looking at in detail, or if it would actually look better without the dithering :P
Last edited by inu on Fri May 09, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ICEknight
Very interested

Post by ICEknight » Fri May 09, 2014 3:40 pm

inu wrote:
ICEknight wrote:But it doesn't look light on RGB
I was under the impression the change was still very helpful for SCART RGB users.
Things look good, then the wall textures become checkered each time you turn around, which you must do a lot in this game.

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Mon May 19, 2014 8:44 pm

Hello everyone.
Although still left to do some more optimizations (especially in the routine for drawing sprites), I wanted to show a new version of Wolf3D before continuing optimizing, because I've made so many changes that I wanted to be sure that all goes well.
In this version, as I had said before, I changed the method to transfer the buffer to VRAM using h-int, also now all tiles of all weapons and faces of Bj are loaded in VRAM, I did so to be easier and faster to change the frames of weapons or faces, and this is done during the h-int, after transfer buffer, also did a lot more optimizations in the engine, now you will notice the difference in the engine since the average of the framerate is higher, and is also more stable. :D
I've also fixed some bugs, such as when the game returned directly to the title screen when shooting at a guard (this was very rare to happen), and also corrected the error in level 5, when shooting at the SS that was in the end of the level (playing on the hardest difficulty) and some dogs were heard.
I've also added the option of "graphics" to activate the filters.
This is the test version "b9t" because there are still some other optimizations not done yet, and also I'll be waiting bug report (I hope not).
Here is: :)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/o24pg ... d_b9t_.rar
Last edited by gasega68k on Tue May 20, 2014 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

inu
Very interested

Post by inu » Tue May 20, 2014 12:41 am

Such a welcome distraction! Thank you for the update as usual. :)

Only had a few minutes to play but until now all I've noticed were slightly... slippery controls? Not sure exactly, but they just don't feel as fast and accurate to respond as before. Maybe I'm just sleepy, but I'll definitelly test them out better tomorrow or so.

But that 2-3 fps bump was definitely worth it!
So close to 20fps... so close...!

Also noticed that the tables are... red...ish now? This was a big unexpected. Any particular reason for it? :)

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Tue May 20, 2014 3:39 am

inu wrote:Only had a few minutes to play but until now all I've noticed were slightly... slippery controls? Not sure exactly, but they just don't feel as fast and accurate to respond as before. Maybe I'm just sleepy, but I'll definitelly test them out better tomorrow or so.
You're right, had not noticed that, I'll fix that and I'll replace the link to download the latest version at a time.
inu wrote:Also noticed that the tables are... red...ish now? This was a big unexpected. Any particular reason for it? :)
I had forgotten to mention that I modify some objects: the bare table, the potted plant, table with chairs, food, and other I do not know what it's called (in the source of Wolf3D says "stuff"). The tables I change them, because that's more similar to the original, and also easier to distinguish when they are in front of the textures of "wood".

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Tue May 20, 2014 4:12 am

I've changed the rom again, now the control responds as previously, and I've also changed the link, so those who have already downloaded the latest version, please download again.:wink:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/o24pg ... d_b9t_.rar

Rob55Levo

Post by Rob55Levo » Sat May 24, 2014 11:22 pm

It seems I can't use snap saves on my Mega Everdrive with this version, I can on Beta 8.
With a RGB cable I find that option 3 is the nicest looking in terms of how sharp a clean the walls etc look.
Pity about the saves tho...

gasega68k
Very interested

Post by gasega68k » Wed May 28, 2014 5:45 am

Rob55Levo wrote:It seems I can't use snap saves on my Mega Everdrive with this version, I can on Beta 8.
I think it must be something related to Mega Everdrive because as I changed the method to transfer the buffer and other things in this version, maybe it is something that is not saved in the Mega Everdrive properly, although you can try something: enter the game options screen (with "Start"), and save the game from there.

Rob55Levo

Post by Rob55Levo » Thu May 29, 2014 6:13 pm

I don't know if I'm missing something, but I can see no way of saving the game in the options menu. As for the video options I played a bit more and though I like the third option most I find that the screen sort of shudders all the time, It could be just my setup in that I'm running the video through a RGB scart connected to a component box converter and then through my Amplifier which upscales the picture and out through HDMI to the TV. (there is reason behind this madness!! My TV would not keep my screen settings unless I upscale the picture to HD) The forth option looks a bit too blurry, the second option is nice though.

edit: and the mega everdrive can't save from there either...