Sacred Line: Genesis - Thriller/horror game for Mega Drive

Announce (tech) demos or games releases

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

sashadarko

Sacred Line: Genesis - Thriller/horror game for Mega Drive

Post by sashadarko » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:01 pm

Title: Sacred Line Genesis
Platform: Sega Genesis / Mega Drive (Region-Free)
Genre: Adventure / Visual Novel
Works on real hardware: Yes (Flashcart-ready)
Digital Version Release date: 24 October 2013
Cartridge Version Release date: TBD
Game rating: 18+ (Mature)
Official site: http://sashadarko.com/genesis.html
Download Demo: http://www.mediafire.com/?ed6wko04sgafqn7

About:
Sacred Line Genesis is a brand new Adventure / Visual Novel game which was developed exclusively for the Sega Mega Drive / Genesis videogame system.
It tells the story of Ellen, a private detective, who is trying to survive in Eastern Europe. Lately detective business, which she inherited from her missing sister Sarah, almost ceased its existence and one day before she was going to close her office she got an anonymous call. The unknown asked her to find some hidden forest outpost and told her about its position. That was just the beginning.
The game is free of censorship and recommended for Mature audience only (Blood, Intense Violence, Mature Humor, Minor Sexual Violence Reference, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Violent References).
It's not a port, not a translation, not a rip-off with copyrighted stuff. It is based on my own game Sacred Line, which was released for free for PC/Mac on Desura.

Features:
- High quality 3D graphics (highly recommended to play on CRT TV)
- WAV soundtrack (which sounds like a GBA output, it also won't be slow for PAL users)
- Unique and memorable setting, story and environments
- Text-based dice fighting system (ideally you need a dice...but you can also play without it)
- More than 20 endings: normal, secret and deaths, deaths, deaths
- Don’t be frustrated: if you die, you’ll start from the last checkpoint
- In-game enclyclopedia will help you learn more about characters
- Compatible with Flashcarts like Everdrive
- Any buyer will be added to a special list: it means you will get discounts and special bonuses for all further products. Money is support and support will not be forget.

Not so good features (GINCS-specific things you may not like):
- The game uses GINCS engine, its Visual Studio modification. It means it uses WAV soundtrack and WAV files cannot be stopped immediately there, they will always play to the end. Not everyone will take it as a problem but it must be mentioned.
- Text has no shadows. Somehow, just theoretically, IF you're crazy enough and decided to play any GINCS game via very, very, very bad RF connection on a very, very, very bad, just simply broken LCD screen and there's also a gas all around you, the text will be hard to read. But nobody ever reported that kind of problem since the creation of GINCS (2006 year).
- There is a super exotic GINCS bug which was reported by GenDev user: the game might crash if you will insert gun or mouse to the Port 2

Demo Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ed6wko04sgafqn7

It's a final demo which shows all the game features. It will end after a first fight with a skeleton.

Release [Digital]:
http://sashadarko.com/genesis.html

Release [Cartridge Run]:
It's complicated. Current version was going to be published by Watermelon, but in the end it was declined by their programmer/producer because of an upgraded GINCS sound system (see "Not so good features" above).
If cartridge version will be possible in the end, it will be a special version with a new non-WAV soundtrack and unlockable additional campaign. In this case people who already bought the original version and who will buy the cartridge as well, will also get a bonus third campaign, which will be released exclusively for them.

Screenshots from the Demo:
ImageImageImage

Screenshots from the Beta (Beta contained some grammar/spelling errors, Final version and Demo are proof-read):
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Photos from Alpha 0.2a:
ImageImageImage
Last edited by sashadarko on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haroldoop
Very interested

Post by haroldoop » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:37 pm

It's looking pretty nice, so far. :D

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:38 pm

It's indeed a nice idea, I liked the atmosphere

A few bugs I noticed while testing the ROM:

- the first instruction in your startup code (offset $200) seems to be fucked: it ends up writing to memory address pointed by A1 register, which can cause an exception depending on the register state on reset/poweron . It works on Everdrive because 68k registers are initialized on boot but it might crash with a real cart.

- the game hangs just before the first user choice scene if something else than a gamepad (gun, mouse,etc) is connected on port 2, probably a bug in your input polling routine

sega16
Very interested

Post by sega16 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:01 am

That was intense. I really felt it not sure how to describe it.

sashadarko

Post by sashadarko » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:23 pm

After months of development the game is finally out, I upgraded the first post.

It can be released on carts by Watermelon, but WAV system must be fixed and be perfect, this is a will of their main programmer (and now it's not perfect, because it can't stop WAV playback immediately).
Developer of GINCS Visual Studio (modification of GINCS which I used for this game) told me that there's no source code to provide because he simply hacked original GINCS in order to add new graphics packer and very primitive Z80 player, which he took from SpritesMind board. He also called GINCS "a barrel of shit which I don't want to dive into" which means there's no hope for further modifications.
Still, if any developer here can help with WAV player, you're welcome. Another exclusive game after Pier Solar can be released on cartridges with your help.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:42 pm

I guess you can easily found any WAV Z80 driver around.
SGDK provide severals Z80 drivers to play PCM samples (and tools to convert WAV to PCM).