TFM Music Maker Problem

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Jony
Interested

TFM Music Maker Problem

Post by Jony » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:11 pm

I've been trying to learn how to use TFM MM as of late but i find that it runs unusually slow, for example, i press a key on the keyboard and it takes about 20 seconds to play the sound back to me...

I'm using Windows Vista SP2 at the moment, i don't know if that's the source of the problem since Vista has a very bad rep =P

Is anyone else having this problem? if so, is there a way to fix it?

In case there is no way to fix this, are there any alternative trackers and Z80 drivers to go with it?

Thanks in advance ;)
"I'm looking for some alien toilet to park my bricks, who's first?"

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:25 pm

The docs wrote:On first launch of the editor you may need to change some settings.

Go to editor settings window (Editor sheet of main window). Enable test signal by pressing button which is located at right part of the WaveOut group box. Select minimal possible values of Buffers count and Size, which allows to stable sound playing, without gaps and noise. Check if sound is stable when editor window moving and other programs starting in background. Disable test signal.

Open one of example modules, which are included into editor package, by File->Open Module (Ctrl+O) item of main menu. Play module with play button on toolbar (F5). If it sounds unstable, increase sound buffers length and number of buffers. You also can change output volume using trackbar in the WaveOut group box. Note that too high output volume may cause to clipping. You can notice if it happens when green indicator at right part of the editor's toolbar turns to red. Also note that too much and too long buffers can cause to bigger sound delay when pressing note keys in editor.

Jony
Interested

Post by Jony » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:49 pm

Thank you for your help ;)

I changed the WaveOut settings to "6 buffers, 2048 Bytes each" and it works like it should now :)
"I'm looking for some alien toilet to park my bricks, who's first?"

bastien
Very interested

Post by bastien » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:34 pm

i have a question.
i have made a music with VGM Music Maker wich use only sample.
can we export it into *.tfd file for my MD démo ?
tfd file size seems to be only 1ko i missed a things ?
Thanks

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:40 pm

I have no idea if TFD export still works in VGM MM. If it does not work, well, it does not work. Anyway, TFD format does not support PSG or DAC and never will, it is obsoleted by VGM format.

Also, I've said in very first post about VGM MM:
Shiru wrote:No drivers for the consoles yet. They are planned, but I'm not going to rush with them, until there will be a real need.