[GensKMod] version 0.6 is out

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:56 am

Fonzie wrote:About genskmod... I was benchmarking my last demo and i figured out that genskmod had a Step/Step animation.

It is Shift+Esc... So I ran my demo and pressed Shift+Esc and the demo was moving almost each time... If the Step/Step is really 1Frame/1Frame, it means that my demo runs almost 60fps...

Are you sure there isn't a mistake there? Does it really go frame/frame or two frames / two frames?
Bah, if there isn't any mistake... its just crazy how the 68K is fast O_o
I guess you see 30 FPS only, du to the 30 Keys Per Second limit.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:06 pm

Stef wrote:I guess you see 30 FPS only, du to the 30 Keys Per Second limit.
That explains the lag between keystroke (or button press (I use gamepad, modified MD 6-buttoner)) and event in game...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

GrayLight

Post by GrayLight » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:46 pm

I have some wishes for later Kmod releases :) [I hope, I've post it in right place]

1. To Add 5th (or maybe 5..7th) "rom-independed" color palette, which could be used (if selected) by default instead of VDP palettes 0..3, making possible to view VRAM data even if VDP palettes not initialized yet (all black).. For example, Gens' VDP debugger uses some grayscale palette when star-key pressed some times.

2. If it possible, to add ability to view RAM in same format as VRAM ("Tiles" 8x8).. So it makes possible to view graphics construction in memory before it was copied to VRAM.. (Here also can be used additional palette, see "1")

3. To add PlaneA,PlaneB,Window viewers (as HEX-tables). Also their HEX-values could be AND-masked, to hide priority-pal-mirror bits's values and left just tile-numbers and vice versa.. Also VSRAM and HScrollTable viewers in same way.. Maybe this all not very useful, but when study it could really helps.. :)

4. Using Layers-window, we can view just a parts of Planes.. Is it possible to view full planes in additional windows? It makes possible to view planes updating while game scrolls image..

..Just some wishes (hope, undersatdable).. :) Anyway, Thanks!

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:07 am

GrayLight wrote:I have some wishes for later Kmod releases :) [I hope, I've post it in right place]
I'm always interested in what people are waiting for KMod
1. To Add 5th (or maybe 5..7th) "rom-independed" color palette, which could be used (if selected) by default instead of VDP palettes 0..3, making possible to view VRAM data even if VDP palettes not initialized yet (all black).. For example, Gens' VDP debugger uses some grayscale palette when star-key pressed some times.
a custom pal ? why not....
2. If it possible, to add ability to view RAM in same format as VRAM ("Tiles" 8x8).. So it makes possible to view graphics construction in memory before it was copied to VRAM.. (Here also can be used additional palette, see "1")
hmm....yes it is possible but I don't know if it is really interesting
I mean it will be a copy of VRAM (or not since some stuff like the lib I use don't decompress data to RAM first but to VRAM)
If you're looking for where is the original data, I think you should look at DMA spy
3. To add PlaneA,PlaneB,Window viewers (as HEX-tables). Also their HEX-values could be AND-masked, to hide priority-pal-mirror bits's values and left just tile-numbers and vice versa.. Also VSRAM and HScrollTable viewers in same way.. Maybe this all not very useful, but when study it could really helps.. :)
I don't know if I can add mask easily, need to check Gens original source
but to view (and mod!!) VSRAm and HScroll is on my todo list.
4. Using Layers-window, we can view just a parts of Planes.. Is it possible to view full planes in additional windows? It makes possible to view planes updating while game scrolls image..
I think I looked it some times ago and found it was impossible with Gens since the 'hidden' part aren't stored the same way as visible one.
but I need to recheck to work on the scroll mod I just talked

if some of you see some of this point very interesting, say it, I'll put them on top of my priority list

ob1
Very interested

Post by ob1 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:09 am

Wish list :
32X debug

as my mail states ;)

If I can help by any mean ...

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:27 am

I was about to reply ;)

yeah...32x, i know...
Like I said before, Fonz' was the only one to need it and not so badly

It seems I need to work on that part....
I'll port the original Gens debug screen first, then I'll need your help and need (Fonz too?)

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:54 pm

Wish:

Possibility to turn of sound channels (either PSG or YM2612) like in Dgen.

To put some "shift lefts" to 32x PWM sound (it is very quiet).
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:41 am

I experencied some keys respond problems.
When i open some debug window (as YM2612 one), it looks that after sometime GensKMod doesn't reply to key events and seems somewhat freezed (but it isn't).
I used the beta version with "DAC update rate" ;) i know know if others versions are impacted.

By the way, your "DAC update rate" is very usefull when you code some Z80 driver for DAC playing, i encourage you to keep this feature in future version ;)