Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Yuge

How to compile Gens?

Post by Yuge » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:01 pm

Well, subject. Tried Visual Studio 2008, got stuck at kailleraclient.h

Code: Select all

DLLEXP kailleraInit();
with missing type specifier - int assumed.
Also if I understood correctly DirectX should be of particular version (newer won`t work).
Any help would be appreciated.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:04 pm

Question : why do you want to compile that rubbish stuff ?
Genesis plus is cleaner and better on almost every points.

Yuge

Post by Yuge » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:41 am

Zophar says windows version is a bit limited. And homesite is down. Which is the latest version?

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:08 am

well, the 1.2a Windows/SDL port has not been updated, only the emulation core is constantly updated, based on my work for the GC/Wii port

this still mean no joystick neither sound support, which isn't realy good for an emulator nowadays ;-)

even with the DOS port that I still use for debugging stuff, I never been able to get sound from my soundcard so it shouldn't really be useful

It would be nice if someone would add OpenGL and/or DirectX,Sound,Input support someday, with the current emulation core, i'm sure it would make a great (but certainly slower) opensource alternative to Kega and Regen

for the moment, this still makes Gens the best solution regarding opensource emulator for PC platform... and it has 32x/CD support :-)

Picodrive from notaz: http://notaz.gp2x.de/pico.php#Win32 is also a very good alternative but I don't know if the last up-to-date sourcecode is available

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:03 pm

Yuge wrote:Zophar says windows version is a bit limited. And homesite is down. Which is the latest version?
Not Genesis Plus, Gens+. The site is normally http://www.retrobase.net/gensplus/index.html, but retrobase is being reorganized and the page hasn't been put back up yet.

Yuge

Post by Yuge » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:57 pm

Thanks for a hint Chilly Willy :D . After 2 hours of fighting with compiler, I actually compiled Gens+ using Visual Studio 2008 Pro provided tools. It uses old directX libraries, so I had to disable some functions to link with newest libraries. I think it would be a good idea to maintain some emulators in compile-able state, so it wouldn't be such a problem.