Introducing My Annotated Trace Generator

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Okie
Interested

Introducing My Annotated Trace Generator

Post by Okie » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:24 pm

My script ( hopefully ) works on any disassembly that uses ASW. I could find annotated disassembler feature in an Emulator that works with ASW (AS.exe) . So I wrote a Lua script that takes two inputs. A trace file you made with gens-re-record and the games list file generated by ASW. It outputs to a new trace file, each line from the trace file with the correlating lines of code from this list file with labels symbols below the trace line . Followed by a empty new line. And continues doing this for every line in the trace file. Here is an example output from Sonic 3 and Knuckles:

Please let me know if a annotated disassembler that works with asw list files exists or if a similar parsing script / program, like this one exists .

The way the code works is it uses io library to scan the entire list file for every line In the trace file. It’s pretty slow , wasn’t sure if it’s how I m coding it ( scanning the file using I/O library the entire program instead of Saving the entire file in elements of a table. And create a new iOS handle re opening the list file , every time it goes to a new line in the trace file ) . Do I need to use C or can Lua easily for this task be blitz fast?

Okie
Interested

Re: Introducing My Annotated Trace Generator

Post by Okie » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:09 am

Here is the code in its early stage . You put trace in the scripts directory and name it trace.log. Put list file also in same directory and rename it

Code: Select all

TraceFileHandle= assert(io.open("trace.log", "r"))
local TraceLines = TraceFileHandle:lines();
local Output =  assert(io.open("Output.txt", "w"))

local CurrentTraceLineAddress = nil
local CurrentListLineAddress = nil

for CurrentTraceLine in TraceLines do

-- if the Gens trace files line started with nn:nnnn - the instructions address
    if string.find(CurrentTraceLine,"^%x%x:%x%x%x%x") ~= nil then

-- get the address the instruction, formatting it to asw list files format for the instructions address
        -- removing the : and any possible 0 in front of address
        CurrentTraceLineAddress  = string.sub(CurrentTraceLine,string.find(CurrentTraceLine,"^%x%x:%x%x%x%x"))

-- remove the :
        CurrentTraceLineAddress = string.sub(CurrentTraceLineAddress,1,2) .. string.sub(CurrentTraceLineAddress,4,7)

-- do we need to format it, removing "0" in front of address
        if CurrentTraceLineAddress ~= "000000" and string.find(CurrentTraceLineAddress,"^0+") ~= nil then
        local  __ , zeroTrailEnd = string.find(CurrentTraceLineAddress,"^0+")
            CurrentTraceLineAddress = string.sub(CurrentTraceLineAddress,zeroTrailEnd+1,string.len(CurrentTraceLineAddress))
        end

-- if address of the current line of the trace acde file is RAM, add 10 "F"
        -- to front to make the RAM address follow the asw list format of the address
        if tonumber(CurrentTraceLineAddress,16) >= 0xFF0000 then
            CurrentTraceLineAddress = "FFFFFFFFFF" .. CurrentTraceLineAddress
        end

-- Append THIS TRACE FILE LINE TO OUTPUT FILE
        Output:write("\n" .. CurrentTraceLine .."\n")

local ListFileHandle = assert(io.open("list.lst", "r"));
        local ListLines = ListFileHandle:lines();

for CurrentListLine in ListLines do

-- if the line in the list file has an adress for instruction then
            -- Parse and get the Address of the instruction in the listing file
            -- and check if it is the same address as the line in the trace file
            if string.find(CurrentListLine,"/%s*%x+%s:") then

--    40952/   1EE94 : D640                    add.w    d0,d3
                CurrentListLineAddress = string.sub(CurrentListLine,string.find(CurrentListLine,"/%s*%x+%s:"))

local CurrentListLineAddressStart = string.find(CurrentListLineAddress,"%x")
                local CurrentListLineAddressEnd = string.len(CurrentListLineAddress) - 2

CurrentListLineAddress = string.sub(CurrentListLineAddress,CurrentListLineAddressStart,CurrentListLineAddressEnd)

-- if the trace and list file are the same address for the instruction
               -- print(CurrentListLineAddress)
               -- print(string.len(CurrentListLineAddress))
               -- print(string.len(CurrentTraceLineAddress))

if CurrentListLineAddress  == CurrentTraceLineAddress then

-- Then append this line in TRACE FILE TO OUTPUT FILE
                    Output:write(CurrentListLine.."\n")
                end
            end

end

ListFileHandle:close()
    end

LINENUMBA = LINENUMBA + 1

end

TraceFileHandle:close()
Output:close()
Would very much appreciate all speed optimization advice to make run even faster.