Assembly Tool Labels Show Asm Code

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Okie
Interested

Assembly Tool Labels Show Asm Code

Post by Okie » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:19 pm

Is there a way to make all your labels show in your assembly code if you are looking through a dissembler with your emulator,. Not sure if there is a way to correlate the symbols in map file and its address to to disssembly. Has Big Evil Corporation done this with his code with his coff files or anything ( I probably don’t know what I am talking about :P ) Also, is there a way to make disassembled bin files show the dc ds directives instead of interpreting the value as an opcode. Like if I dc.l 0xA2Ac6890 it may interpret that value as opcode ori.b blah when disassembled . How about disassembles correctly interpreting equ or set?

cero
Very interested

Re: Assembly Tool Labels Show Asm Code

Post by cero » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:00 pm

It depends on if your specific emulator supports your specific symbol table format.

Constants and equ/set are impossible to disassemble. Think what they do, and it should be obvious why.

Okie
Interested

Post by Okie » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:08 pm

Thanks . Any debugging emulators for Genesis you know of that support symbol table formats? How about interpreting dc ds correctly?

cero
Very interested

Post by cero » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:52 am

Sorry, I've never needed that, so I don't know which ones support it.

If you need the emu to separate code and data, it needs a feature called Code Data Logging. You turn it on, play through the entire game, including every room and every optional part, and then it knows which parts are code and which are data.

That's obviously a lot of work and pointless for your own game.

Okie
Interested

Post by Okie » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:31 pm

Thanks Cereo ! Very helpful mentioning Code data logging feature . I’ll check it out. :D

Okie
Interested

Post by Okie » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:36 pm

Anyone else might happen to know emulators besides MD Studio that support mapping the label names to the assembly shown while running it . I ask for debugging testing purposes. Huge thanks. I’d know not nearly as much if you wasn’t for this forum. :)

Okie
Interested

Post by Okie » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:06 pm

Anyone got suggestions comments on emulators that support symbol table mapping to show the run routine and and alike names of labels?