[GensKMod] 0.7c

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

KanedaFr
Administrateur

[GensKMod] 0.7c

Post by KanedaFr » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:35 am

small update to KMod, just in time to close this year!

I don't know if some of you used the cool feature of last version but I definetly think it's very great...but, since I always think better can be done, I added the struct support ;)

How to use this ? copy/paste from the help file you never read :

Code: Select all

add a .str file with 1 or more structure definition.
a str_Level is defined like this :
STRUCT        str_Level
       CHAR        idx
       CHAR        _pad_
       SHORT        width
       SHORT        height
       CHAR        pal
       CHAR        _pad_
       LONG        data
END

so, any structure must start by 'STRUCT' keyword followed my struct name (20char max)
then you add any element you want using 'CHAR', 'SHORT' or 'LONG' keywords followed by element name (20 char max)
it's a good use to add the 'END' keyword but it's optionnal.

Any other keywords or strings (like // or others comments keywords) are ignored.
for more details, read the help file.

oh! And now, you can resize the window ;)

see you next year with a tutorial on Eclipse for Genny dev and a new tool (for newbies, since you all have your own tools)

ps: for the _pad_ stuff, think about M68K and odd/even word access ;)

Fonzie
Genny lover

Post by Fonzie » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 pm

Héhé, maybe we should credit Manu (elbarto) for the initial tip!
Thanks kaneda for the Kmod implementation, it rox crazy! Can't wait to use it ^^ :D

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:29 pm

Will you ever made an step by step trace mode in debugger?
GENs have an little bug with debug information screen: when VDP in 32 tile mode - part of debug information not showing. But you made separate window to debugger. If you made step by step debug mode and break on memory access at address (any opcode: by PC or MOVE from/to) I will send GENs32 to trash. :)

ElBarto
Very interested

Post by ElBarto » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:06 am

Awsome work !!!
Maybe in a few month Kmod will support debug symbol put by GCC with -g and will act like a real gdb :D

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:44 pm

Fonzie wrote: Héhé, maybe we should credit Manu (elbarto) for the initial tip!
already done in help file ;)

HardWareMan wrote: Will you ever made an step by step trace mode in debugger?
it's not possible with Gens since it does "execute code for X ms then execute code for HBL then...." :(
I would like to do it but...do much hard work needed :(
I don't even know how to handle step by step with these HInt and VInt :
How to trace code and suddenly jump to another part (the h/vint code)

you can't imagine how much I would like to do something like MAME debugger :(
ElBarto wrote: Maybe in a few month Kmod will support debug symbol put by GCC with -g and will act like a real gdb
sorry, but I think it's my last update to KMod...
I have some others cool projects waiting and real life takes more and more time ;)

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:47 pm

KanedaFr wrote:
HardWareMan wrote: Will you ever made an step by step trace mode in debugger?
it's not possible with Gens since it does "execute code for X ms then execute code for HBL then...." :(
I would like to do it but...do much hard work needed :(
I don't even know how to handle step by step with these HInt and VInt :
How to trace code and suddenly jump to another part (the h/vint code)
GENs do it too stupid: when you tracing step by step, Z80 and VDP are NOT WORKING at all. But, you have two buttons for initiate VBlank and HBlank. When you press it - you jump to VBlank/HBlank subroutine. That's all.
You get an infinite loop, when programm do "Z80 bus get handshake". "BNE" opcode just needs to skip by pressing "N" button.

evildragon
Very interested

Post by evildragon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:50 pm

Awe man, last update to KMod? I had an idea for something I wanted to experiment with.

I got a Smart Media card with my Genesis games on it in BIN format (raw dumps), and I was hoping if the emulator could be made to load it directly from the card, and not copy to RAM then run.

It's an unusual request, and I'd rather not explain the reason behind this, because only I would care for it, and no one else.

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:44 pm

evildragon wrote:Awe man, last update to KMod? I had an idea for something I wanted to experiment with.

I got a Smart Media card with my Genesis games on it in BIN format (raw dumps), and I was hoping if the emulator could be made to load it directly from the card, and not copy to RAM then run.

It's an unusual request, and I'd rather not explain the reason behind this, because only I would care for it, and no one else.
How do you imagine this? In all cards used NAND memory with sequential access, so they are good only for storages. Only NOR memory can run the program directly, not copying to the buffer (RAM or FLASH). What emulator are we talking about?

evildragon
Very interested

Post by evildragon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:56 pm

HardWareMan wrote:
evildragon wrote:Awe man, last update to KMod? I had an idea for something I wanted to experiment with.

How do you imagine this? In all cards used NAND memory with sequential access, so they are good only for storages. Only NOR memory can run the program directly, not copying to the buffer (RAM or FLASH). What emulator are we talking about?
I was talking about KMod.

I didn't know about how NAND or NOR works.

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:15 am

evildragon wrote:I didn't know about how NAND or NOR works.
http://www.byte.com/art/9606/sec8/art5.htm
NOR ( see the figure ) is the leading technology today, and Intel is the major manufacturer. It organizes the memory cells in parallel fashion, with each cell's drain connected to a bit line, and many bit lines are grouped to make up an I/O group. The select line connects the control gates of a row of cells, one on each bit line. With this layout, it can access several cells, such as a byte or a word, in parallel. NOR provides faster random access, but its parallel structure reduces memory density.

NAND ( see the figure ) is a technology used by National Semiconductor, Samsung, and others. It connects the cells serially, with a select gate for every few control gates (usually, one select gate per byte or word) and serial connections to the control gates in that group of gates. NAND has slower random access, but it allows higher densities due to its smaller-size cells.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:36 pm

I wish NOR memory would be so cheap as NAND memory....
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:10 pm

TmEE co.(TM) wrote:I wish NOR memory would be so cheap as NAND memory....
Dreams... Dreams....

Alex Luthor

Post by Alex Luthor » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:41 pm

I've a problem with the program. It won't work correctly for me after I did the recent win update in Windows Vista. The resolution changes to half the screen-size and the colors go purple/pink and messy. The emulator turns unusable.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:02 pm

Try to change your desktop color depth to 16 bits, should fix the problem.

Alex Luthor

Post by Alex Luthor » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:03 am

Cant believe I overlooked something like that, thanks.