Aseprite Mega Drive Digitizer

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

themrcul
Very interested

Re: Aseprite Mega Drive Digitizer

Post by themrcul » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:38 pm

Also I should note, any graphics you need to send to the MD needs to be in indexed format in Aseprite. If you try to send something in RGB format it doesn't warn you and will error on the MD. For the next version I will get it to error out if the correct mode is not set.

To recover from an error on the MD just press the 'B' button on the controller. It will reset the app to the initial mode waiting for a connection again. You can then reconnect to it using the Socket app provided.

I might upload the current version tonight if I can just in case I've made improvements since the last release. I noticed in the archive that the readme.txt is missing which is pretty useful to be there!

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:03 am

themrcul wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:33 pm
Ah ok I worked it out. Sorry I should have mentioned, you need to rename the files to end with .zip.001 and .zip.002. Then 7zip (and hopefully other archiving programs) will successfully open the archive.
Okay, that worked. Thanks.

troudki
Interested

Post by troudki » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:09 am

Hi themrcul
Thk for your "Sega Digitizer System" like tool :D , it's really awesome !
I'm not a big fan of Aseprite, so we can hope that you open source your code so that we can create and share extensions for other tools (Grafx2,Cosmigo,etc..) :mrgreen:

themrcul
Very interested

Post by themrcul » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:21 am

Hi Troudki,
Sadly with other projects for work that I am doing outside work hours I have had little time to work on my MD stuff for the last year :(
The application I have made is very simple and should be compatible with most drawing programs as all it does is send over indexed PNG images through to the MD. The script for Aseprite is open source so you can see exactly what I am telling Aseprite to do.

So if you make your art tool of choice export the image as a PNG and a json info file like Aseprite does then it will work the same.

Our MD project is on hold until my partner and I complete our other projects. Hopefully by the time we start it again Aseprite will be more reactive and therefore our art tool can be made more effective.
Otherwise we will need to find an alternative art tool or make our own extensions for it by building from source.

If the source for this project is desperately needed I can perhaps dig it up and release it though!

diegzumillo
Interested

Post by diegzumillo » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:32 am

This is aweseome! Well, not particularly useful for me since I don't have a setup with a megadrive and a CRT next to my workstation. But I am working on a MD game and it's cool to see other people going through the same issues I'm having. We can all trade tricks and scripts.

My main problem right now is getting the colors right. The color picker does not restrict to the legal colors of the MD, the SGDK rescomp will use the closest color which some times doesn't work very well. I could not find a way to restrict the color picker so instead I just made a rom for editing colors of the palettes. You put your images in the folder, build the rom, tweak the palette, write down the values.

I also wrote a couple of scripts for aseprite to help me setting priority flags on specific tiles. The priority flag is not accessible via SGDK but you can change it by using a color palette number that overflows a bit (priority flag sits right next to the palette index). So if you want a specific tile to have a high priority, you take all its colors and shift the index by 128. Instead of color 2 make it color 130. So I wrote a little script that takes care of that. Just move all the tiles to a new layer and run the script.