palette tools?

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

djcouchycouch
Very interested

palette tools?

Post by djcouchycouch » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:41 pm

Are there any tools available that would let me reorder the colors of an image's palette without affecting the image itself?

Contrived simplified example: changing the palette of an image from [blue][red][green][yellow] to [yellow][green][red][blue] and still keep the image looking the same.

For extra difficulty, I have two images that have very similar colors (the Goplanes plane and the giant airship) but their palettes are in a different order. Are there any tools available that can help unifying them easier than fixing it by hand?

Thanks!
DJCC

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:01 pm

Babelizer, the only tool dedicated to palette
I never found something better

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:29 am

I asked on the nesdev forum as well http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php? ... 68#p104768

I went with Kasumi's suggestion: I open both images and then copy/paste the image I want the palette to change into the image that has the palette I want. Graphics Gale automatically converts the pixels to use the correct pixel. Or close enough.

sega16
Very interested

Post by sega16 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:54 am

I have found you can do this in jasc paint shop pro 9. As they do not sell it anymore you can get it from thepiratebay.se First save the palette by doing image->palette->save palette Then download http://www.alister.eu/palsuite/ it is free download latest version not old ones offered when you click on download Edit the palette saved then go back to jsacs and goto image->palette->load palette and you should see the the palette is changed selected nearest color and then the new palette is loaded but the image still looks the same assuming that you only reordered colors not change values. By the way I used both programs with wine just fine.

powerofrecall
Very interested

Post by powerofrecall » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:46 am

mtpaint http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/

IIRC all you need to do is open the image and in the palette display, hold down Alt and click and drag to rearrange with the mouse.

edit: oops, just checked. It's the Shift key, but it works as described.

oofwill
Very interested

Post by oofwill » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:13 am

I was searching for an easy way to réarrange palette and mtpaint do it simply.
Thanks for the link ;)

kubilus1
Very interested

Post by kubilus1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:44 pm

If you only care that the palettes are uniform, and not the particular order of the palettes, then you should be able to use Imagemagick for this.

First, I have an image that only contains the palette colors I want called palette0.bmp.

Next I can apply that palette to any image with the -remap command like so:

Code: Select all

$ convert animage.bmp -remap palette0.bmp BMP3:animage.bmp
Though I can't control the exact ordering that Imagemagick applies the colors, the order of the colors appears consistent when using the same palette. The good thing about this approach is that it is very easily scriptable (even in a Makefile, perhaps.)