Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Oerg866
Very interested

BMP to Direct Color Converter

Post by Oerg866 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:18 am

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:00 pm

How does that compare to Sega-16's converter?

viewtopic.php?p=16366#16366

It's really nifty that you wrote it in BASIC. :D

sega16
Very interested

Post by sega16 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:57 pm

Oreg866's convert assumes that the image is 198 pixels wide and generates no header mine accepts any size and generates a 4 byte header that stores the width and height in a big endian word. Here is my converter http://sega16.x10.mx/directcolor.html
Here is a comparison Oreg866 please do not take this personally I understand it is still version 1
Mine:
Oreg866's
If I am doing something wrong besides it does not like non 198 wide images please reply.

Oerg866
Very interested

Post by Oerg866 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:25 am

I wrote this tool in an early point in my research, and to be honest anything higher than 198 pixels is pretty silly to do anyway, since it won't be displayable (I think? maybe you can squeeze more out of the border area, not sure).

Plus, why would you make a header if the data gets DMA'd directly to CRAM? It makes no sense comparing your tool against mine, since mine is only intended exactly for this one purpose...

sega16
Very interested

Post by sega16 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:52 pm

The reason for the header is what if you want something smaller than 198. And yes you don't need to store the height because you could divide the width by the filesize to calculate it but it is alot simpler to store it. Also you could hard code the width and hieght but what happens when you change the image size alot and forget to change the program. Another reason is what if you want to convert a direct color back to an image. My program can convert a direct color image back to a regular one.

Oerg866
Very interested

Post by Oerg866 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:41 am

Ugh. I'm tired of you going into EVERY THREAD trying to glorify your BEX and VB.NET shit everywhere just to try to make you look better than everyone else, and try to randomly spew your "knowledge" into regular conversations.

This is MY thread, about MY tool. I found it back recently, so I released it. You have no business trying to promote your tool in my thread. Piss off, will you?

If I were to follow your logic I could add a BMP to TXT converter, but it would be about as useless as what you're doing.

If you want something smaller than 198, then you add padding to the image. It would be a massive waste of the direct color method, but hey. Oh wait! My program already does that! :roll:

If you want to convert it back to a regular image then you're just plain doing it wrong.

Also you got it wrong, the height isn't even hard-coded.

Moron.

sega16
Very interested

Post by sega16 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:13 am

Oerg866 wrote:Ugh. I'm tired of you going into EVERY THREAD trying to glorify your BEX and VB.NET shit everywhere just to try to make you look better than everyone else, and try to randomly spew your "knowledge" into regular conversations.
My program was written in c++ also I am by no means trying to make me look better than you. You music skills are alot better than mine I could not compose that good of music like in project MD I just look at a tracker and wonder how do I make a good song? So I am not saying that I am better than you at all. And I do feel bad that you have taken it this way I wish I would not have posted the picture of crashing your program with a large picture I should have thought about how you would have felt first.
Oerg866 wrote: If I were to follow your logic I could add a BMP to TXT converter, but it would be about as useless as what you're doing.
I do not understand what you are going with the BMP to TXT thing. Why would you want a BMP to TXT converter?
Oerg866 wrote: If you want something smaller than 198, then you add padding to the image. It would be a massive waste of the direct color method, but hey. Oh wait! My program already does that! :roll:
Is it not possible for the code to center an image in real time?
Oerg866 wrote: If you want to convert it back to a regular image then you're just plain doing it wrong.
What if you want to easily save the direct color output to an image for use in an image editor maybe to better compare the two currently supported ditering algorithms I know when I made a slight improvement to the color reduction I used the save image and it helped me because I used the difference blending mode in adobe photoshop to compare the old algorithm with the new
Oerg866 wrote: Also you got it wrong, the height isn't even hard-coded.
I meant that without a header you would have to hard code the height in the user's code. Are we on the same page?
Oerg866 wrote: Moron.
Is that really needed? I do not see how that is going to resolve any issues.
Also I am really sorry if I have offended you I do not want a flame war one bit.