A Simple sprite Tutorial?

Ask anything your want about the 32X Mushroom programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

matthewnimmo
Very interested

A Simple sprite Tutorial?

Post by matthewnimmo » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:19 pm

Guys:

I'm obviously new to these forums; but definitely not new to the system nor development. I've done some searching and haven't quite found what i'm hoping to find (and maybe there's just not a good answer). Is there a simple Sprite tutorial out there? I see some game examples (which i'm very grateful for...like Chillies stuff) But for someone who is jumping into this development it's a little overwhelming to walk through it at times.

From what I'm gathering it seems like the sprite resources are turned into a different file type(s) like binary or compressed? Then somehow these are put into play. I am more familiar with using SGDK which does admittedly make things easier; but a little kick starter would be nice if someone would be so kind to point me in the right direction?

I have compiled my environment followed the instructions already in these forums. So i've been able to produce a nice hello world and drawing some simple squares and changing their colors. I even noticed a cool picture novel template someone has created!

Thanks again in advance, and forgive me if i'm just blind and missed something in my searching

ob1
Very interested

Re: A Simple sprite Tutorial?

Post by ob1 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:19 am

matthewnimmo wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:19 pm
Is there a simple Sprite tutorial out there?
Not to my knowledge.
Plus I wouldn't expect to find it on a forum. More likely a website, like a tutorial.

NB : the 32X can't natively do sprites, it just has a frame buffer. I'd say the Hello World you're talking of is a good starting point.

matthewnimmo
Very interested

Post by matthewnimmo » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:46 pm

Thanks again for the reply and WOW on my part for just now seeing this many months later:(!! I am actively curious on how to do this. Maybe this is a better way to ask this.

Is there an "example" of our to load an image? I'm guessing for me to make a "sprite" i'm going to have to load/unload a lot of images to make my own sprite and that's ok. But just a basic example of how to get a simple .jpg/.png/etc. whatever file type i have into the proper format needed to display on my 32x. Even if it's like this

1) take your image Matt ... test.jpg
2) use this tool to convert it to this format.
3) ...
4)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This time, I'll make sure any replies/email notfications don't go to my junk mail :/

haroldoop
Very interested

Post by haroldoop » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:05 pm

You could take a look at the VN32X source code:

https://github.com/haroldo-ok/vn32x

Please do keep in mind that the sprite routines on this engine are optimized for visual novels, that is, large sprites that don't move much; you may need to perform heavy optimizations to make it usable on an action game.

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:58 pm

You might be interested in this topic I just started.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3237

matthewnimmo
Very interested

Post by matthewnimmo » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 pm

Thank you both so much! I'm going to check out both:)