Can I recycle Sega Genny Carts and make my own games?

For anything related to cart (SRAM, SF2 mapper, audio, CD mode 1, ...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

faramith

Post by faramith » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:50 pm

okay look in ebay for "ST 27C160 UV EPROM M27C160 -100F1 *16M* 2pcs"

its 2 for $5.79 and $6 shipping, these come from china and they are used, they say they are in good condition tho, im gonna order 2 then the adapter for the willem for 42 pin EPROMS. :D YAY

any idea wich board to use for the Monster Wolrd 4? it uses battery backup :(

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:05 pm

if the game uses SRAM method its very easy to do yoursef (few logic chips needed)... I think I've heard that MW4 uses EEPROM saves..... don't know.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

faramith

Post by faramith » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:31 pm

I read somewhere that a i'm problably a spammer game was used as a donor board for MW4 game, im gonna get my hands on one of those and see.

Regarding the tools needed to open a genesis game, I ordered a gamebit for opening old genesis games, but I can't find the gamebit for opening later games, Ive seen 3 types of screws, the ones assembled in mexico is easy to come by, but the one that looks like the assembled in mexico one but has a pin in the middle is nowhere to be found, can anyone point me where to get one?

thanks again

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:42 pm

I did my own special screwdriver for such screws from usual one. There is another one way to open cart, if you don't care about using old screws again. Take soldiering iron and heat up the screws. Now you can take them more easily, or just open case - screws will be pulled out through hot plastic of top part (you will need another screws with wide heads or additional washer to assembly case back).

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:25 pm

Wait a second, what's it's real size?
faramith wrote:"The M27C160 is a 16 Mbit EPROM offered in the two ranges UV (ultra
violet erase) and OTP (one time programmable). It is ideally suited for
microprocessor systems requiring large data or program storage and is
organised as either 2 Mbit words of 8 bit or 1 Mbit words of 16 bit. The
pin-out is compatible with a 16 Mbit Mask ROM."
I guess the latter is actually 1 megaword of 16-bit, right? :P

And anyways, is it me or here is the only place where cartridges don't use screws? Seriously, the only cartridge I've seen with screws is Virtua Racing, the rest are pure plastic. Not that they can't be opened, just they use another method to be opened that doesn't require any extra stuff but your own hands (unless you lack enough power :P).
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:37 pm

All original carts which I saw is always used screws, pirated ones always doesn't use.

TulioAdriano
Very interested

Post by TulioAdriano » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:27 pm

Shiru wrote:All original carts which I saw is always used screws, pirated ones always doesn't use.
Same applies to Brazilian original carts, except the fact that our carts came with the regular Phillips screws and could be opened with any regular tool. 8)

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:36 pm

Japanese carts (well, one I have) has regular Phillips screws too. I bought a Gamebit so I don't have to use the method Shiru described (I used that before, on my SMS carts).
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen