VGM-to-MIDI Converter

For anything related to sound (YM2612, PSG, Z80, PCM...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

neologix
Very interested

VGM-to-MIDI Converter

Post by neologix » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:43 pm

NOTE: this is pretty much the same thing i posted at project2612.

http://spheredev.org/~neologix/beta/vgm2midi.zip

requires the latest version of Sphere (1.5 or higher)

Instructions are as follows:
  • unzip the project into sphere's "games" folder as is (or unzip it to sphere's root folder and rename it to "startup," replacing the existing "startup" folder)
  • put any *.vgm file into the project's "sounds" folder (it MUST be vgm; compressed vgz not supported at this time)
  • run the "game" as normal (see Sphere's instructions on how to run a game)
  • type the name of the vgm file you'd like to convert and press enter (press tab to auto-complete the name if a file exists w/such name)
  • if file size is greater than 64 KiB, you will see a "large file" warning; if you press space to continue it will display a message that it's reading the file
  • wait a while; it can take upwards of 3 or 4 minutes to convert a file, since it's all running in javascript space (ie, "dynamic compilation" and all that jazz)
  • if the file successfully converted, you will see a positive message and a *.mid file will appear in the "sounds" folder; if it fails, it will tell you it failed
  • the "game" will exit either way; run it again if you want to convert another vgm
VGM files containing YM2612, YM2413, PSG, and YM2151 chips are supported for conversion. This is mainly for me to organize my thoughts while I come up with a plan of attack for writing this in C++ for my VGMTool update. This was cross-posted at Spherical Forums, SMSPower, Project2612, and now here at SpritesMind.