vgm, vgz and trackers

For anything related to sound (YM2612, PSG, Z80, PCM...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

nitrofurano

vgm, vgz and trackers

Post by nitrofurano » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:31 pm

hi!

how can i import or convert vgm or vgz into tracker formats, and being able to analize or edit them?

a tracker named Vortex Tracker has an unique feature of converting tracker files (.mod, .ai, etc...) into txt files, which we can code our own scripts to create them or convert them, since the text files are easier to write and analize

for helping, i posted at pastebin a sdlBasic code for a .mod to .txt converter - i'm sending it because i believe a similar code can be used to extract tunes and samples from a .vgm file into a .txt file in the same way

http://pastebin.com/f7389fec2

(BlitzBasic is only the pastebin code highlighting - this code i only runned on sdlBasic)

all feedback is truly welcome! :-)
thanks!

Shiru
Very interested

Re: vgm, vgz and trackers

Post by Shiru » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:58 am

nitrofurano wrote:how can i import or convert vgm or vgz into tracker formats, and being able to analize or edit them?
These files contains not a musical information (notes, octaves, durations, etc), but data for sound chip. It's not like MOD or MIDI. There is no way to completely convert sound chip data back to something editable.

You can load and edit vgm file with PSG data (from SMS) with MOD2PSG2.

nitrofurano

another pastebin

Post by nitrofurano » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:13 pm

posted at pastebin a .vgm to .txt converter (for Linux users like me, not able to run these w32 windows tools on Wine..., as well for people interested on having this code to improve better converters and share them with us as well)
http://pastebin.com/f75fee824

about mod2psg2, i didn't run it successfully yet (coders, please check and target on Wine, Linux, etc.)