Exporting instruments with GensKMod?

For anything related to sound (YM2612, PSG, Z80, PCM...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Alex Luthor

Exporting instruments with GensKMod?

Post by Alex Luthor » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:55 pm

Hi,
Can somebody tell me how to do this, maybe there's some tutorial that I've missed?
I was hoping to use the sweet synth sounds from the first Batman game by Sunsoft.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:03 pm

You must pause game (by emulator's CPU>Pause, not native in-game pause!) right when needed instrument sounds. Then go to CPU>Debug>Genesis->Sound - YM2612. Select needed channel (where needed instrument plays) by upper buttons, and click Dump Channel to save this instrument in file. Because you not always know, which channel used for needed instrument, you must save instruments for all six channels, or only for channels 1-5 if game uses digital drums.

You can ensure which channel play needed instrument with VGM or GYM players, which allows to switch on/off selected channels.

Pause before Dump Channel needed because some games can change instruments dynamically.

Note that Batman music uses not only FM, but also PSG.

Alex Luthor

Post by Alex Luthor » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:44 am

Well that was way easier than I thought it would be, thanks a lot :)

"Note that Batman music uses not only FM, but also PSG."

Okay. Uhm.. why do I need to know that? Sorry but I'm new to all this stuff. :P

TulioAdriano
Very interested

Post by TulioAdriano » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:44 pm

For a simple reason, since you're new to all this stuff, maybe you want to dump the sound of a channel that is actually playing in PSG, which cannot be dumped.

If you're wondering why PSG cannot be dumped, PSG are simple square wave tones, so there are no complexity in the sound wave like the FM channels which are modulated over 4 operators in a given algorithm.

Seeya,
Tulio