Help with setting FM patch values

For anything related to sound (YM2612, PSG, Z80, PCM...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Mask of Destiny
Very interested

Post by Mask of Destiny » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:49 pm

Works almost perfectly on my Model 2 now; however, there's some weird green junk in the upper left hand corner. It changes a little when I move the cursor around.

Aly James
Very interested

Post by Aly James » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:59 am

Same here, now displays correctly on every models :)
excepted some garbage on the top line and flickers on the cursor.

MrD
Very interested

Post by MrD » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:03 am

Thanks folks. I'm getting the same results on my PAL MD1 now.

I'll have a look into the flickering cursor. Probably doing something foolish like not resetting the high VDP address bits for the cursor draw (but there's no high bit setting anywhere except VRAM clearing and TMSS, so I don't see where that would come in).

Also, I've noticed that occasionally the text palette will be wrong. It should be full light green but it comes out darker sometimes. You can see if it you repeatedly reset the system.

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Thu May 15, 2014 11:48 am

Hello,

would any of you Blokes fancy adding support for UMDK? I am hoping to add MIDI to UMDK:

http://www.makestuff.eu/wordpress/categ ... ts/umdkv2/

Aly James
Very interested

Post by Aly James » Thu May 15, 2014 6:25 pm

MintyTheCat wrote:Hello,

would any of you Blokes fancy adding support for UMDK? I am hoping to add MIDI to UMDK:

http://www.makestuff.eu/wordpress/categ ... ts/umdkv2/
FMDrive VST can send MIDI out viewtopic.php?t=1402
The user can attached any MIDI CC#, aftertouch etc.. to each an every register of the YM2612.
each instance of the VST will process 1 FM channel.
You could then stream the MIDI output to your dev kit in real time...
If you export the track as a MIDI file you can store the whole track easily.
It is up to you to choose the update rate of registers, FMDrive can output MIDI internally at sample rate if needed but still you will have to check the physical baud rate of MIDI if you transfers via MIDI cable (which should be enough in most cases for YM2612.)
There is a general standardized mapping for this that is implemented in a MID2VGM converter by ValleyBell (btw unreleased publicly yet), GenMDM MIDI device and Foobat's Dual YM2612 module.
Mapping is pretty linear , 0-127 range >> register range excepted TL which is reversed for convenience 0 - 127 >> 127 - 0
http://www.alyjameslab.com/tempdata/YM2 ... CC_MAP.txt

Still whatever you do, any controls can be mapped by the user with a simple right click assign on the GUI, so do what you want :)

FMdrive VST comes with a standalone host to, so it can be used to test a voice in real time, patch changing also sends all the assigned MIDI controls parameters.

As for using the ROM pointed to by this thread, there should be added a conversion routine to handle the note on/off, note number, and pitchbend MIDI data.
from where the MIDI stream comes in is up to the dev, for example Littlescale's GenMDM uses PORT#2