Music for Sega homebrew games

Want to create a team or share a project ?

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

MisthaLu

Music for Sega homebrew games

Post by MisthaLu » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:10 am

IndieGameMusic.com is a free service for musicians to put their tracks on display for indie gamedevs to use in their homebrew games - or for gamedevs and musicians to hook up for game projects.

It is not a new site. It's been running for over a decade. (And the design needs to be updated - so much to do, so little time).

Compared with other online music libraries, IndieGameMusic.com offers more than just mp3 and ogg files. Its main focus is infact the more "exotic" formats, like the 4-channel MOD format used on Amiga and others. Or XM / IT / S3M. Formats like XMF and MMF and MIDI too.

I'm posting here to tell you that I recently added another category of music called "Chip". This can be used for formats like Deflemask's DMF format for example. A bunch of new tags were also added to be used to identify what platforms a chip track is usable on; for example "Sega Genesis / Mega Drive".

So I'm hoping that various musicians here will add some DMF files to the site, to make IndieGameMusic.com interesting to Sega gamedevs too. (And remember to add mp3/ogg versions of your tracks too - there are gamedevs on other platforms who likes to use chip music in mp3 format).
If you're making DMF music anyway, why not try to make a little pocket money on it?

https://indiegamemusic.com/aregister.php

Thanks for reading.

Miquel
Very interested

Re: Music for Sega homebrew games

Post by Miquel » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:56 pm

As a game programmer the main problem is that a concrete game needs specific tone or themed music. It will be much better to offer a site where both sides can meet and discuss together. Even be involved in the project and share gains,once the tile is launched.
HELP. Spanish TVs are brain washing people to be hostile to me.

MisthaLu

Post by MisthaLu » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:16 am

Miquel wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:56 pm
As a game programmer the main problem is that a concrete game needs specific tone or themed music. It will be much better to offer a site where both sides can meet and discuss together. Even be involved in the project and share gains,once the tile is launched.
IGM can be used that way too:
Find an artist who has tracks online that fits the style you're after -> Request project work from that artist and team up.

But gamedevs are split in two groups.
- The ones who insists on dedicated exclusive music - and aren't afraid to pay for it.
- The ones who are on a tight budget - and have no problem settling for non-exclusive music.

Non-exclusive resale licenses can often be found for as little as 5-10 euro, while exclusive resale licenses are about 15-30 times as much. So it's all just a matter of how much the gamedev is willing to pay really. Whatever your preference is, IGM has you covered.

Miquel
Very interested

Post by Miquel » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:03 pm

I’m not sure a typical homebrew developer can pay 300 euros per song.

I suppose is a matter of reevaluating the project, and decide when is ready to go ahead with music.

Do you think a usual artist is willing to listen to criticism and modify its own music to suit better the project? And not the song itself. The thing is I don’t understand a given song as a finished product on itself. I see it more like a developing work along the game.

Just thoughts, ignore them if don’t fell for it.
HELP. Spanish TVs are brain washing people to be hostile to me.

MisthaLu

Post by MisthaLu » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:23 pm

Miquel wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:03 pm
I’m not sure a typical homebrew developer can pay 300 euros per song.
Of course not. Most homebrew devs buy the non-exclusive resale licenses. That was the whole basis for creating the site: To help indie gamedevs find affordable music for their game projects. The site actually also has a lot of tracks that are completely free to use - even for commercial games.
Miquel wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:03 pm
Do you think a usual artist is willing to listen to criticism and modify its own music to suit better the project? And not the song itself. The thing is I don’t understand a given song as a finished product on itself. I see it more like a developing work along the game.
Absolutely I think most musicians on the site are willing to make edits and adapt a track to better fit the project.
I've done so several times for gamedevs myself, and I've also used music from the site myself asking the artists for some changes. Has never been a problem, except in rare cases where the musician doesn't have the source file anymore for one reason or another.
Normally though, making edits will cost a little bit extra for the time, depending on what kind of effort it requires.

A few times I've been asked for a shorter version. Such edits doesn't take much time to make.