Experienced GUI Developer required for MD Shmup Project

Want to create a team or share a project ?

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Experienced GUI Developer required for MD Shmup Project

Post by MintyTheCat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:08 am

Hello all,

we are a team working on a MD Shmup project who wish to collaborate with an experienced GUI Developer.

The main role of the GUI Developer would be to take the Command-Line based Level-Editor and to wrap it all up in a well designed and user-friendly modern GUI with Menus, Buttons, Planes and that sort of thing.

We were thinking that QT would be our best option and we would prefer to have Linux used as our target platform for the GUI based Level-Editor but Windows is an option too.

I know that a Forum devoted to MD programming may have more Assembly programmers but still I know that many of you work professionally as GUI Developers on here :)

Please contact me through PM if you have interest.

Regards,

Minty.
UMDK Fanboy

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Re: Experienced GUI Developer required for MD Shmup Project

Post by djcouchycouch » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:29 pm

You could look into using the open source Tiled project. http://www.mapeditor.org/

It has a Linux version, along with Windows and OSX.

I've adapted it for my own projects, adding features and expanding the file format. It's not a perfect fit but it got me ahead much, much faster than building one from scratch.

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Re: Experienced GUI Developer required for MD Shmup Project

Post by MintyTheCat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:09 pm

djcouchycouch wrote:You could look into using the open source Tiled project. http://www.mapeditor.org/

It has a Linux version, along with Windows and OSX.

I've adapted it for my own projects, adding features and expanding the file format. It's not a perfect fit but it got me ahead much, much faster than building one from scratch.
Hi,

we use Tiled for our Level-Maps which are then converted and placed inside the ROM.

The Level-Editor does a lot more than handle Level-Maps though.
Our Development System comprises of UMDK and needs connections between the PC and the running Megadrive. We are able to patch the memory and to load data into the Megadrive through the Level-Editor.

We are then able to specify events to be queued and then activated at a certain time.
We have banks of Enemies and their Attack-Patterns.
We get execution metrics from actual executions of the ROM on the Megadrive that the Level-Editor can use to gauge performance. You need UMDK for this though.

I have a fairly full and complete Requirements document for the Level-Editor.

I thought that I'd give you all further insight into what we are working on and what we need.

Do not worry though as I will handle all the UMDK programming and the GUI Developer does not need to worry about it too much.

Cheers,

Minty.
UMDK Fanboy