Vjenesis, the first visual software for Megadrive/Genesis

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

RealMyop

Vjenesis, the first visual software for Megadrive/Genesis

Post by RealMyop » Sun May 29, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi guys!

I'm RealMyop, I'm the designer and project leader of a program called Vjenesis.
The main idea was to make a Vj software that can be used easily and work on the MD/Genesis.

We started the project a few months ago with a friend and developer called Furrtek. And for a few weeks now the first version of Vjenesis is running.
I even made a presentation of it in the Live Performer Meeting in Rome last week.

Here some videos of my performance there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hGVFFiRDJ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KimByOLVnI

You'll see that my Megadrive 2 has been modified (actually circuit bended) to do some glitches. It's my crasy console called the Megaglitch.
Here a short presentation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNrs1_QGwto

Why am I here? because I'm looking for more people to help us in this project, and here seems to be the perfect place to find some amazing coders for VJenesis.
Right know this is how it works:

An Everdrive to load VJenesis.

We have a converter that's allows you to take a serie of .BMP (114 max) in 320X224 16 colors and convert them in a .bin working in the MD. Then you can control this serie of images with the MD controllers.

UP: video play back maximum speed (around 15 FPS in pal)
Down: Video playback a bit slower (around 7 FPS in pal)
Right: Go back at the beginning of the video loop.
Left: Go to the end of the video loop.

A: Vibration effect
B: Wave effect
C: Movement effect

Start pad 1: stop the video (right and left to change the frame)
Start pad 2: hard reset to remove the glitch due to the Megaglitch

As you can see it's quite simple, but it's already great to use! But having only one developer makes it hard to progress in all the directions we would like to.

So for the ones who would be interested to help us making this great software better, you'll be welcome in our google group and google code:-)
We're an open source project and I hope that more people will use Vjenesis later.

We're are especially looking for:

-Improving the video payback quality (no blinking, compression, FPS improvement)
-New effects for the buttons (I will soon use 2 "6 buttons joypads")
-IU for mac, linux and windows.

And many more things if you have ideas :-) I would also like to use some demos with the megaglitch to see how it would look like.

Hope you'll like to participate to this really cool project!

Thanks for reading.

Realmyop

Moon-Watcher
Very interested

Post by Moon-Watcher » Sun May 29, 2011 10:48 pm

This is the coolest / craziest / wathever-est project I've ever seen on MD/G by far :D

Delek
Very interested

Post by Delek » Mon May 30, 2011 4:44 am

VJenesis include a music creation tool (like a tracker)?, or is only for the animaiton parts of the music?.
In the video I listen squares/saws all over the place (a GameBoy, maybe?), doesn't seems to be the YM2612 with his sine waves and the FM Synthesis algorithm, right?.

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Mon May 30, 2011 8:01 am

I'm curious about the Megaglitch, how did you managed to glitch only background planes and not sprites ? Any picture of the modified board ?

RealMyop

Post by RealMyop » Mon May 30, 2011 9:06 am

VJenesis include a music creation tool (like a tracker)?, or is only for the animaiton parts of the music?.
In the video I listen squares/saws all over the place (a GameBoy, maybe?), doesn't seems to be the YM2612 with his sine waves and the FM Synthesis algorithm, right?.
Right now, VJenesis doesn't include a tracker, it's only a basic VJ software. But nothing says it can't have one, if someone wants to do it.
And you're right, the music is coming from a Gameboy. The tune is called "Dans le club remix" de Dr Von Pnok.
I'm curious about the Megaglitch, how did you managed to glitch only background planes and not sprites ? Any picture of the modified board ?
I have no skills in electronics, so I can't really tell why the Megaglitch works that way...
But here a picture of the soldering I made:
Inside the Megaglitch par RealMyop1, sur Flickr

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Mon May 30, 2011 9:08 am

He is shorting VRAM signals in there, and sprites seem unaffected only because their tiles are updated all the time whereas BGs usually are loaded once in the beginning of the stage
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

RealMyop

Post by RealMyop » Mon May 30, 2011 9:13 am

He is shorting VRAM signals in there, and sprites seem unaffected only because their tiles are updated all the time whereas BGs usually are loaded once in the beginning of the stage
I agree, if I keep pressing buttons the characters sprite will glitch but as soon as I stop and move the character it will go back to his normal form.

BTW, it seems that the notification system is not working.

Who want to help us in this crazy project?

Delek
Very interested

Post by Delek » Mon May 30, 2011 9:27 am

I could help you guys, but my projects (like DefleMask) leaves me without free time. Good luck, btw.