Having issues compiling with Gendev and VSCode

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

gigabyte

Having issues compiling with Gendev and VSCode

Post by gigabyte » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:35 am

I've been look towards doing Genesis game development on Linux with gendev. However, when compiling in VSCode, it gives me this error:

Code: Select all

/bin/mkdir -p src/boot
/bin/mkdir -p out
make: *** No rule to make target '/src/boot/sega.s', needed by 'src/boot/sega.s'.  Stop.
I've looked at the makefile.gen file, but I'm too scared to make any major changes to it. Any got any ideas for what the idea could be?

Charles MacDonald
Very interested

Re: Having issues compiling with Gendev and VSCode

Post by Charles MacDonald » Sat May 07, 2022 6:20 am

It looks like the GENDEV environment variable isn't set up correctly. In the docs they mention this is needed as a first step (see "Build some sample code")

https://github.com/kubilus1/gendev/blob ... FreeBSD.md

When you run vscode and make a new terminal it may not be importing the environment variables you set up before launching vscode, so perhaps GENDEV is empty there?

That's why it's examining /src/boot/sega.s and not ~/<environment-variable-path-to-your-project>/src/boot/sega.s and failing to locate the file.

Maybe try this test:

1. Edit your program in vscode as needed.
2. In a different terminal (not the vscode built-in one, and not invoking any build hotkeys within vscode to make your project), set up the GENDEV variable and try running make manually.

Does that work?