DMA and FIFO

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

mickagame
Very interested

DMA and FIFO

Post by mickagame » Fri May 06, 2016 3:50 pm

Does The DMA is using the external access slot to transfert data from/to vram?
What happen for example if there is a dma fill or dma copy and the 68k try to access vram?

Sik
Very interested

Re: DMA and FIFO

Post by Sik » Fri May 06, 2016 4:56 pm

mickagame wrote:What happen for example if there is a dma fill or dma copy and the 68k try to access vram?
Hell happens. Don't do it. That's why there's a DMA flag when reading $C00004.
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

Mask of Destiny
Very interested

Post by Mask of Destiny » Fri May 06, 2016 7:07 pm

mickagame wrote:Does The DMA is using the external access slot to transfert data from/to vram?
Yes
mickagame wrote:What happen for example if there is a dma fill or dma copy and the 68k try to access vram?
I haven't done any tests with DMA copy, but at least with DMA fill what happens is that the fill is temporarily interrupted for your new write and then the MSB of the word you just wrote is used for the rest of the fill. That's assuming you attempt to perform a write anyway. Not sure what happens if you attempt a read. I would assume that it would break the fill since CD would be changed to an invalid destination for writes.

mickagame
Very interested

Post by mickagame » Sat May 07, 2016 8:49 am

Thanks for your answer.
Does the latency affect the dtack signal from vdp to 68K when perform a read or write operation?

Mask of Destiny
Very interested

Post by Mask of Destiny » Sat May 07, 2016 4:53 pm

mickagame wrote:Does the latency affect the dtack signal from vdp to 68K when perform a read or write operation?
Not quite sure I understand your question, but I'll try. For writes, !DTACK is held high until there is room in the FIFO to store the word being written. If the FIFO is not full, there is no delay. There is some latency involved in the FIFO, but only affects how early data written to the FIFO can get written to its destination. For reads, !DTACK is held high until the requested data is available. According to Nemesis, the VDP has a basic read prefetch mechanism so that it will perform the read after it's been setup in the control port as soon as there is an available external slot. I haven't tested it personally, but it makes a lot of sense and implementing it makes it easier to pass some of his tests.

mickagame
Very interested

Post by mickagame » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:18 pm

I have a question about the control and data ports of the genesis.
Are these ports inside the vdp chips?
Often in emulator code these ports are outside the vdp code file.

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:42 pm

The VDP control and data ports? Yes.

Emulators may handle them in a separate file since they're likely implementing them in the code handling memory accesses (which has no equivalent in real hardware, except maybe the bus itself), but emulators aren't necessarily modelling how real hardware works.
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

mickagame
Very interested

Post by mickagame » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:43 pm

That confirm what i had in my mind ...
Thanks Sik !

mickagame
Very interested

Post by mickagame » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:44 pm

Another question : what happen if the Z80 request the M68000?
The M68000 stop to execute opcode or it continues until it have to do a memory access (and at this moment it wait that the busreq line be back to 1)?

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:53 pm

68K User manual suggests it is based on bus cycles rather than instruction cycles, I got the impression you can get the bus while an instruction is still halfway done.
The processor asserts BG as soon as possible. Normally, this process immediately follows
internal synchronization, except when the processor has made an internal decision to
execute the next bus cycle but has not yet asserted AS for that cycle. In this case, BG is
delayed until AS is asserted to indicate to external devices that a bus cycle is in progress
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

mickagame
Very interested

Post by mickagame » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Thank you!

Miquel
Very interested

Post by Miquel » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:43 pm

Yep, 68k should request the bus on every memory access, and release it when done, except for TAS.
Every memory access takes (a minimum of) 3 cpu cycles.
HELP. Spanish TVs are brain washing people to be hostile to me.