Blank / empty carts and boxes

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Blank / empty carts and boxes

Post by KanedaFr » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:39 am

Hi all,

It's been some years I'd like to offer a burn shop.
Any homebrew developer would be able to see its own game on a true cart, not on a donator used, cart...
I know how to produce PCB but never found how to handle cart/box.

I really don't know where to start so I feel like I ask you for any idea :
Where do you think I could buy/create/make (cheap) new cart and box ?

I'm open to any link, hint, idea....

regards

KanedaFr

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:45 am

Fonzie can't hook you up?

nolddor
Very interested

Post by nolddor » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:22 am

maybe you can contact to 1985alternativo.

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:17 am

With the rise of affordable 3d printing technologies, I think that would be a very good direction to look. I'm planning to build my own 3d printer one day, probably a reprap. Apart from that, there are a lot of 3d printing services available now where you send a 3d model and they send back the printed item. No idea how economical it would work out or if a suitable plastic is available from this process for printing the flexible joins on the case, but I think it's well worth looking into.

Zontar
Very interested

Post by Zontar » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:33 am

Nemesis wrote:With the rise of affordable 3d printing technologies, I think that would be a very good direction to look. I'm planning to build my own 3d printer one day, probably a reprap. Apart from that, there are a lot of 3d printing services available now where you send a 3d model and they send back the printed item. No idea how economical it would work out or if a suitable plastic is available from this process for printing the flexible joins on the case, but I think it's well worth looking into.
This is definitely the way to go. I had access to a 3D printer at university last year and plastic casings is essentially what we'd use them for.

Mask of Destiny
Very interested

Post by Mask of Destiny » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:07 am

I wonder whether vacuum forming would work well for cartridge shells. 3D printing is pretty cool, but it tends to be relatively expensive and the finish is rather rough unless you have a high end printer or do a lot of cleanup work post printing. Injection molding is a bit hard to do DIY, but you can do vacuum forming with a vacuum cleaner, heat gun and some inexpensive parts to make the vacuum table. There are a lot of shapes that vacuum forming doesn't work for, but cart shell halves seem quite doable.

kubilus1
Very interested

Post by kubilus1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:19 am

My dad has been working on doing castings for toy soldiers and stuff. One of the things he tried was using a centrifuge to push resin into the molds. I think he basically used a salad spinner for this.

Also, from talking to him, getting the correct resin can be a bit tricky. The cartridges should pretty much not have any "give" but the case should be flexible.

Creating the mold for a cart should be pretty straightforward, really.