header from .res not getting regenerated?

SGDK only sub forum

Moderator: Stef

djcouchycouch
Very interested

header from .res not getting regenerated?

Post by djcouchycouch » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:35 pm

Hi there!

If I compile a sample with resources, then delete the generated <resource>.h file, the header won't get regenerated until the .res file is changed or the associated .o is deleted. If the .h is missing I'd like it to be recreated.

Also, it doesn't seem like the .h and .o get regenerated if I update one of the resources with a newer version. I think if a resource's timestamp is newer than the .res file, everything should get regenerated.

Am I doing it wrong?

Thanks!
djcc

Stef
Very interested

Re: header from .res not getting regenerated?

Post by Stef » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:17 am

Hi djcc,

Definitely right !
This is something we tried to improve (makefile dependency handling), a guy from NES dev community named Banshaku has put some efforts in trying to improve the makefile, so adding sub folder support and automatically deps files (.d) generation but it turned to be a bit more complicated than expected :?
Still i think we can easily fix the .h file generated from resource file at least ;) Thanks for reporting and glad to see you back ;)

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:38 am

Never thought of replacing make with something else?

cero
Very interested

Post by cero » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:25 am

That'd be a spectacularly bad idea. But then again, so was the move of rescomp to java...

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:07 am

@djcc> I already updated rescomp and makefile to properly handle deps now, it's not perfect but much better already :)

@cero> it's because you're a pure C guy but honestly keeping rescomp in C was really a pain and not productive at all for me. I would have spent much more time doing the sprite cutting optimization process in C also i'm definitely more comfortable with Java. Another big advantage of Java is that you didn't need to recompile the program it to make it work on any OS... one big drawback of that, and i agree on it, is that you need to install a JVM on your system, but to be honest it's quite difficult to avoid it today as many applications use Java.