Regen 0.95

AamirM's Regen forum

Moderator: AamirM

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:29 pm

Snake wrote:
King Of Chaos wrote:-The Brighten feature screws with SMS/GG games badly. Check Sonic 2 for both systems to see what I mean.
Personally, Aamir, I would drop that option, as well as "Overdrive". Kega does things a bit differently to other emulators and those options are only there to make it look/sound more like Gens, because a few people bitched about it ;)
Which i did only to sound more like DGen because a lot of people bitched about it ;) Personnaly i don't like that option as you sometime clip and so, lose in sound quality.
Last edited by Stef on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:15 pm

have an overdrive that does not make sound 2x louder, but 1.5x...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:48 am

Hi,
The text field in the Overclock M68000 dialog is prefilled with garbage characters (regardless of whether the overclocking feature has been used previously in a Regen session), and the LastROM configuration field either has garbage characters at the end of the pathname or is overwritten with garbage entirely.
Thank you. Those are bugs. I'll fix them next time. Its not a corrupted download. And there are no easter eggs ;) (the idea is nice though :D ). I'll re-enable debugging when I fix them.

stay safe,

AamirM

Richter X

Post by Richter X » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:06 am

I really liked the old MJazz feature of DGen, and would like to see it put in a more modern emulator/vgm player. Probably the best thing I liked about it. That and the 24-bit color support so I don't have to change color settings just to run my Genesis emulators. Maybe someone could add auto-color mode switching like Gens does?

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:22 am

Hi,
That and the 24-bit color support so I don't have to change color settings just to run my Genesis emulators.
I don't have anything that can display 24-bit otherwise I might've added it. Or you can wait for the Linux port :) . And why are you using 24-bit colors anyway?? You have onboard Intel 82815 graphics or something?
Maybe someone could add auto-color mode switching like Gens does?
I actually modified (original) Gens 2.14 to not do that and instead work in 32-bit ^^ .

stay safe,

AamirM

Snake
Very interested

Post by Snake » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:55 pm

Yeah, do you really mean 24 bit, or do you mean 32 bit? I didn't think any cards did 24 bit under windows anymore.

Anyway, Kega does both. It'll do 16 or 32 bit, or if you really have 24 bit, set ForceCompatibleGFX to 1, and it'll auto switch for you.

Richter X

Post by Richter X » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:55 am

AamirM wrote:You have onboard Intel 82815 graphics or something?
Yes, actually. >.<'

Intel 82810 to be exact. Quite a pain in the ass as the max it can do is 24-bit color, and not even powerful enough to play a DVD Rip.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:34 am

24 is same as 32, except no alignment (so no possible quick pixel access optimizations)... at least that is so on old GFX cards, last byte is wasted...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Snake
Very interested

Post by Snake » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:58 pm

AamirM wrote:Brighten feature was requested (IIRC, by King :) ). Overdrive, I may remove.
Maybe so, but the colours in Regen are already as bright as they can go without saturation. It makes no sense at all :) Same goes for the sound, which is already as loud as it can go without clipping.
Eke wrote:About Out Runners, I don't know what is the problem
I'm not sure either, but I think its something to do with VINT occuring before HINT has returned - it only has to happen once for the corruption to occur. It's very unsafe code actually, and I'm almost 100% sure that this CAN happen on real hardware occasionally.

By the way, it was modified for the japanese version, and it's much more stable - although there are slight glitches in other places that will happen on real hardware.

TascoDLX
Very interested

Post by TascoDLX » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:51 am

Snake wrote:
Eke wrote:About Out Runners, I don't know what is the problem
I'm not sure either, but I think its something to do with VINT occuring before HINT has returned - it only has to happen once for the corruption to occur. It's very unsafe code actually, and I'm almost 100% sure that this CAN happen on real hardware occasionally.
Unless you speak of another problem of which I'm not aware, the HINT is incidental.

To be clear about the problem, there is a bug caused by an uninitialized (or perhaps poorly initialized) variable which, to make a long story short, requires a specific VINT to occur before certain code executes (@ 008712). If the VINT does not occur on time, an erroneous word is written to VRAM address 0000 causing a normally transparent pattern to become not-so-transparent.

(TRIVIA) The buggy code is responsible for printing the white text on the lower half of the title screen. That is the text that shows "LENGTH", "WIDTH", "HEIGHT", etc. (/TRIVIA)

For no particular reason, I created a small bugfix hack in IPS form: OutRunners (U) [!] [hack].ips
Snake wrote:By the way, it was modified for the japanese version, and it's much more stable - although there are slight glitches in other places that will happen on real hardware.
FYI I don't think this particular bug is fixed exactly in the Japanese version but the code was changed enough so that it's much less likely (maybe even impossible) to occur. I suppose in a way they feng shui'd the bug out ;)

eighty5cacao
Interested

Post by eighty5cacao » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:49 am

A possible bug regarding the "Emulate Lockups" setting:

When the lockup emulation is triggered (an easy one to test is Sonic Crackers, right after the Sega logo), the "System lock-up!" message is displayed 5 times on an otherwise black screen. (The emulator is probably trying to display the message an infinite number of times, but the message system is limited to five lines.) The "System lock-up!" messages remain on screen after the emulated system is powered off. If any other game is loaded at this point, the "System lock-up!" messages will still be on screen and the new game will refuse to run.

This issue seems to have been present for a couple of versions back, but I have just confirmed that it is still in 0.95.

EDIT 2: Oops, also happens with Sonic Crackers as well, not just the couple of games I previously tested

WarMasterXX

Post by WarMasterXX » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi,

I love how you can change the Hue, Saturation, etc. in Regen's NTSC filter. But what I don't understand is why it doesn't work correctly and doesn't save the settings. For example, when I set the Hue to 75 or 150, it goes to either 0 or 200. What do I do to fix that? Or is that on your to-do list for the next release?

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:07 pm

I love how you can change the Hue, Saturation, etc. in Regen's NTSC filter. But what I don't understand is why it doesn't work correctly and doesn't save the settings. For example, when I set the Hue to 75 or 150, it goes to either 0 or 200. What do I do to fix that? Or is that on your to-do list for the next release?
You're right. Well, I must be sleepy when I did that. I wonder why nobody told me about this.

Anyways, I'll upload a fixed version here soon enough.

WarMasterXX

Post by WarMasterXX » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:21 pm

THANK YOU! WHEN YOU DO, I WILL INSCRIBE YOU INTO THE CONSTELLATIONS!!!

Well I can't do that, but I'll be VERY grateful, as I'll never have to stare at a pink Knuckles again like with all the other Genesis emus!

TheOncleJuna

Post by TheOncleJuna » Sat May 09, 2009 11:28 pm

First thanks for the emulator.

I´m using the command line to load the roms, but only works with Genesis. Perhaps always try to load this kind of roms.

How can I load a gg/sms rom?