OUYA ANDROID OPEN SOURCE CONSOLE. NEW ORDER BEGIN !!!

Talk about anything else you want

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Bookaroo

OUYA ANDROID OPEN SOURCE CONSOLE. NEW ORDER BEGIN !!!

Post by Bookaroo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:43 am

OUYA ANDROID CONSOLE . A NEW ORDER BEGIN !!!

I got my Ouya android couple days ago. First a little background from me, I am hard gamer from the beginning. I bought & played to Trs80, Commodore, Coleco, Atari, Sega & finally PC. I have been without a gaming console for a couple of years. I prefer play to PC games i got with PEER TO PEER. I had thought about buying a Xbox One or a Playstation 4 but I couldn’t bring my self to pay $400 to $500 on a console plus 60$ for every game...

With my OUYA i already can play to all my favorite emulators on my TV, go on internet, watch Youtube and i can upload & try tons of android games & apps by USB side loading for free !!

When I heard all the noise about the new gaming console that was a Kickstarter project called Ouya I became intrigued. So, at the beginning of April after the Kickstarter project had become successful I preordered one and i don't regret !

Ouya is NOT a normal console!" "It claims to be a console, but not one that we're thinking of." "One of the big points of Ouya, is to shake up the gaming industry with something extremely different and accessable for users and developers alike.

I would tell anyone who buys a Ouya to remember is that this console only cost you $99.00 and if you compare it to an Xbox One or a Playstation 4 you will be highly disappointed. However if you remember that it is a $99.00 console I think you will have a lot of fun playing the games that are available on it. You may even find some independent games that you really like. Overall despite the few problems, so far I am happy I purchased the Ouya. If you are looking for a gaming console you can play on your TV and it will not break the bank, then the Ouya is worth a look.

If you want get OUYA console specifications or buy online a OUYA console can you suggest to go to THIS LINK
OR
Click on this picture :

I only want encourage this nice open source idea.
Big names of gaming industries try to discredit OUYA console & prevent any advertising of this free concept. I will don't let industries kill this open source paradise !!!

New free games & apps appears every day on OUYA console!!!
THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING !!!

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:53 pm

I've had my Ouya for a couple weeks now. I don't think the mobile style desktop is very intuitive, but that's true for all mobiles or mobile-like OSes. Gimme a REAL desktop any day...

I'm hoping that someone like Ubuntu gets a full linux distro out for the Ouya since that would suit me better.

About the only thing that's "easy" to do is find and install apps from the Ouya "store". Anything else is going to take some time and patience. The browser is particularly bad - Ouya needs to have Firefox or Chrome altered for the Ouya and installed from the get-go.

For playing media, get the hardware accelerated version of XBMC from here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152005

You'll probably also want a file manager of some sort - I prefer Total Commander since Worker isn't available for Android at this time.

http://www.ghisler.com/android.htm

I see a real future for Ouya (and similar type boxes) as media players - the Ouya is small, unobtrusive, almost completely silent, and plays almost anything without a problem (some people report the Alpha4 xbmc can be jerky on some HD, but Aplha1 from Feb 19 isn't - you might try both).

One of the only real problems with the current Ouya is the lack of support for external USB drives in the Ouya software. That's supposedly coming in a system update. But it means that you can't just plug in an external USB stick and use it (install packages from it) with the Ouya software. You are forced to use a PC and the Android software to install packages over USB. Apps can use external USB drives - XBMC will play from an external USB drive, so it's weird that the Ouya OS doesn't handle it.

That and the sucky default browser are the main complaints I have to this point. I don't care for the mobile OS it retains, but that's my personal opinion. I'm sure others just love it. I'd prefer a desktop.

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:58 pm

smells like spam :roll:

that´s said, on the subject of "open source paradise" that is often used as selling argument, i think personally that these cheap android consoles (ouya being only the first, i bet others will come) are instead going to kill open-source emulators development because :

1) they are all based on the same business model (low cost apps market) which appears to only suck money out of popular portable emu projects without bringing anything in return

2) they are making end-user used to pay for emulators, which is something they never did before on PC or hacked consoles, but suddenly become acceptable because 5-10$ is cheap to play thousand of "free" old games on TV and because there is a dedicated market for that.

Honestly, why would anyone continue spending his free time writing or improving open-source emulators if it only ends up making some opportunist people rich because it appears they can port stuff to android ?

I have the feeling that if this "open-source" business model becomes the norm, open-source projects will simply stagnate and eventually die when being discretly absorbated in closed-source apps.

Not only that but i feel that turning something like emulators, that have always been in a kinda grey area, into a business is asking for trouble sooner or later.

Sorry for the rant but that's something i had in mind since i noticed people starting to sell emulators and later more personally with the MD.emu "fiasco", and i was curious to know what other emu authors thought about this

SoullessSentinel
Interested

Post by SoullessSentinel » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:44 pm

I'd prefer if one of these devices was built to run a custom lightweight linux distribution with a good boot splash, and it should auto boot into a full screen application with a game-console user interface, similar to XMB or Xbox Dashboard.

That way, it'd be more usable as a game console, and seem like more than connecting a tablet/phone to a TV and using a game pad.