Second Dimension PCB's

For hardware talk only (please avoid ROM dumper stuff)
Munkyears
Very interested

Second Dimension PCB's

Post by Munkyears » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:18 am

Hey guys,
As per current development of a game that im working on using SGDK (based on a popular japanese anime movie, WITH trademark and copyright permission gained from a world famous japanese art studio...all will be revealed in a few months)

I bought these PCB's that support M27C160 & 322's. Just wondering if anyone has used these in particular? Image

Looking for a reliable source of 50 PCB's to start with.
I have a decent amount of capital funding for this project however the eprom supply chains are extremely limited, I can only procure small quantities of new EPROMS yet ancient chips are in abundance.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!
To be this good takes ages, To be this good takes Stef, Kanedafr, ChillyWilly & everyone who has helped me discover what hardwork is!

Dive into the SpritesMind! :)

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Re: Second Dimension PCB's

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:38 pm

PCBs aren't a problem, main thing is EPROMs. You can mostly only get pulls, meaning they're been used before and their state is often unknown. Those chips haven't been produced for many years now and eventually the supply will run out, leaving dodgier and dodgier parts left until those are gone too.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

cero
Very interested

Post by cero » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:53 pm

Consider Krikzz Flashkits if you don't need SRAM. They use modern flash and have good availability, and no soldering.

Db-electronics considers them bad since they use resistors though.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:00 pm

Not as bad as some of those Chinese boards that hook 3V memory straight to the edge, but not as good as using level shifters.

Munkyears
Very interested

Post by Munkyears » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:11 am

Good to see youre still around Tiido!

Thanks for your replies, I'm trying to keep flash carts away from this project. Similarly to recent projects, I would like something permanent.

I have 50 on hand and ordered a batch of 500 to begin with.

While I wait i am currently blanking 15 eproms at a time. Quite time consuming so i plan on ripping apart 8 UV erasers and constructing my own erasing bench.

Does anyone know the optimum distance from bulb to chip?

Im getting a failure rate of around 20%. Think some of them have had their day. Most are working perfectly with being baked for 2 mins at a time.

All the UV eproms are 322's. Some in varying condition. Sad, considering the current NAND flash shortage, Can't we go back to using this tech??
To be this good takes ages, To be this good takes Stef, Kanedafr, ChillyWilly & everyone who has helped me discover what hardwork is!

Dive into the SpritesMind! :)

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:09 pm

EPROMs are no more permanent than NOR Flash. Both work on same sort of principle and will degrade in same sort of manner. EPROMs will last less though, 50 years is probably the maximum while most chips I have looked at give 40 year rating. NOR flashes are usually rated for over 100 years.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:58 pm

Over on discord, we've been talking about a cheap flash cart for small projects. It would use a 1Mx16 or 2Mx16 NOR flash ($1.28 and $2.13 in single units at Digikey), and like five 74LVC541A level shifters (5 x $0.36). You could have a header or an edge on the top for programming. Nothing special, just cheap and cover most types of games.