djcouchycouch
Very interested

Re: Future of SpritesMind

Post by djcouchycouch » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:06 am

KanedaFr wrote: 7th
SM no longer trustable because it was closed 1 week in +10years
?! :cry: !?
(sorry, I had to say it...)
It's not the fact that it was closed for a week. It's the reason why it was closed that got everyone concerned.

Mask of Destiny
Very interested

Post by Mask of Destiny » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:59 am

djcouchycouch wrote:
KanedaFr wrote: 7th
SM no longer trustable because it was closed 1 week in +10years
?! :cry: !?
(sorry, I had to say it...)
It's not the fact that it was closed for a week. It's the reason why it was closed that got everyone concerned.
Exactly. Shutting down for some unplanned maintenance is one thing, shutting down because of some forum drama without any indication of whether it's going to come back is another. There's a wealth of info here that's not documented anywhere else. So it would be nice to have some assurances that if you're going to close things down you'll give us some warning next time so we can properly archive things. I don't want to have to dig through Google Cache in a panic again, hoping I can save the most important threads.

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:55 am

I personally thought the forum was hacked first, so the important thing to me is that there was no harm in the end.

Closing down the forum for one week might be a little overreacting but I can understand Kaneda's stressing out and being "pissed off" when he has to handle childish drama between members (and likely a mailbox full of PMs from both parties expecting reaction from the forum owner). That's definitively not something you have any desire to deal with when this is just meant to be an hobby occupation and you have more important thing to deal with in your private life.

BigEvilCorporation
Very interested

Post by BigEvilCorporation » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:30 am

Eke wrote:I personally thought the forum was hacked first, so the important thing to me is that there was no harm in the end.

Closing down the forum for one week might be a little overreacting but I can understand Kaneda's stressing out and being "pissed off" when he has to handle childish drama between members (and likely a mailbox full of PMs from both parties expecting reaction from the forum owner). That's definitively not something you have any desire to deal with when this is just meant to be an hobby occupation and you have more important thing to deal with in your private life.
Hence the call for new moderators. I believe the latest dramatic post was the last straw in a long line of spats he's had to deal with, and I think he finally flipped. He needs to be able to tag out and let someone else deal with it when he's under stress, he's only human. Problem shared = problem halved or whatever.

I've put my name forward, I like people and I've gotten good at maintaining my level headedness in recent years. Plus I'm now working from home!
A blog of my Megadrive programming adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

r57shell
Very interested

Post by r57shell » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:38 am

Eke wrote:Closing down the forum for one week might be a little overreacting but I can understand Kaneda's stressing out and being "pissed off" when he has to handle childish drama between members (and likely a mailbox full of PMs from both parties expecting reaction from the forum owner).
What?! Do you understand what you just said?
You understand how someone can close forum because of drama?
I thought you can always set read/only, disable pm, or ban in latest case if you don't see other solution.
But closing forum for everyone? I won't accept it for any cause.

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:31 pm

What?! Do you understand what you just said?
You understand how someone can close forum because of drama?
I thought you can always set read/only, disable pm, or ban in latest case if you don't see other solution.
But closing forum for everyone? I won't accept it for any cause.
It was closed for a few days, this was not the end of the world and most importantly, nothing was lost.
In a sense, I guess this was a way for Kaneda to step out from this for a few days and think about it calmly before taking a few decisions.

Like I said, this was basic human reaction, overreacting surely but I'd rather try to understand what caused him to meltdown like this than blaming him for having temporally killed our daily spritesmind 'dose' :wink:

Keep in mind that managing a forum (keeping it alive, handling spambots, dealing with hostile members, paying host costs, etc) can be a burden. I wouldn't want to do it and I'm sure you wouldn't either so the least we can do is show some human understanding, even if we don't agree with some of the decisions.

r57shell
Very interested

Post by r57shell » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:15 pm

Eke wrote:It was closed for a few days, this was not the end of the world and most importantly, nothing was lost.
I don't see difference with temp ban for week for everyone.

And I'll give details.
He said in twitter "SpritesMind is closed for now"
In replies was questions: why, how long etc.
He didn't answer them whole week.
That's why my conclusion: it was closed without any reasoning.
For me it's not acceptable.
I can't agree with you.

Edit: Isn't viewtopic.php?f=22&p=31194#p31194 violates rule:
KanedaFr wrote:I opened this forum to share with others not to show everyone how cool I am. So I'm waiting the same point of view of any new member.
Did you ever read a post from Stef, Pascal or Fonzie saying "you're a idiot, do like I said" ?!!!
NOBODY here knows more than someone else, no exception!
I find this rule as other drama. You fight with fact that for many aspects there are ppl who knows better.
Any thread in demos section might be considered as "look how I'm cool". Same for custom devices like Sauraen's two YM2612 device...

And again you "waiting the same point of view", but you post it in rules section thus you require it.
Isn't it invasion in point of view or: accept or go away?

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:44 pm

r57shell, what do you want ?

You want free speech but also strict rules.
These rules were made to able free speech.
Some members get over it, so I had to add the "don't be moron" rule.
Not enough ?
Ok, give me yours...and if others members valid them, it will be asked to moderators to handle them

And for the "temp ban", I do understand you could feel it this way.
It was a personal reaction to a personal problem (related to SM)
What do you want ? apologies ?
Sure, no problem, if it could prove I CARE of any member, you included.
I lost already so much, I can still bend on my knees more if you want

I, KANEDAFR, DID SOMETHING I'M NOT PROUD OF WHICH MAKE YOU LOST 1 WEEK OF SPRITESMIND
SORRY FOR THAT

Others members, more suitable than me, will handle the moderation for now so, please, if you feel it, stay here and share with the others members

BigEvilCorporation
Very interested

Post by BigEvilCorporation » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:13 pm

Kaneda has allowed me to step in and help out with the moderation, in an effort ensure SpritesMind stays alive and well without causing him any more headaches.

My promises to you all:

- A level-headed, calm and neutral approach to handling disputes
- No deletion of posts (except duplicates/honest mistakes), only editing fruity language and personal attacks
- All post edits come with a description of what changed and why
- An effort to promote and encourage hot topics, new discoveries, original creations, and info dumps using whatever tools I have at my disposal
- Really bad puns

I love this forum, this is where I cut my teeth on 68K assembly and Mega Drive development, and my project wouldn't even have gotten off the ground if it weren't for the massive cache of resources, lively topics, and people willing to help me learn. I want others to benefit for a long time coming.

<3
A blog of my Megadrive programming adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

db-electronics
Very interested

Post by db-electronics » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:19 pm

I for one support our new BigEvilCorporation overlord... ;)
What does db stand for? Well that's an excellent question...
http://www.db-electronics.ca

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:59 pm

No PUNishing puns, puns are the best <3
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

r57shell
Very interested

Post by r57shell » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:23 am

KanedaFr wrote:r57shell, what do you want ?

I argue with eke about: is it understandable or not.
If by "I understand" he meant that he just realized what happened - then I think he used bad word.
Then I've described situation in case if he missed twitter message & replies. That's all.
KanedaFr wrote:You want free speech but also strict rules.
May be it's my mistake as for non-native eng speaker + programmer.
I thought "free speech" means freedom, liberty etc.
Also, I thought strict means well defined, certain, precise.

I don't see here any contradiction.

But I see loose variety of interpretation of:
KanedaFr wrote:NOBODY here knows more than someone else, no exception!
Because, for me it's obviously wrong.
Speaking of interpretations:
If you assume comparing whole knowledge... Ok I'll describe it better:
For example someone saying: I know electricity stuff better than you.
One who say it, may probably have 10 year experience with repairing TV, notebooks, PC and so on.
But other one may have 1 year experience in engineering NMOS transistor plates.
Who knows better? Incomparable!
Does it mean no one knows better? No!
Second one better knows NMOS, other one better knows his stuff.

By "whole knowledge" I meant in this example "whole electricity".
But here is trick.
I said that second guy better knows NMOS, and you may think of it as "especial" Narrow topic.
And you may start to believe that you can always say who better knows some very specific topic.
Nope. It's delusion. For NMOS there is even more specific topics inside, and again knowledge of different people related to this topics may vary.
That is why comparison of "whole knowledge" of some topic is same as comparison of some narrow part of it.
KanedaFr wrote:Some members get over it, so I had to add the "don't be moron" rule.
Yet another uncertain meaning.
KanedaFr wrote:Ok, give me yours...and if others members valid them, it will be asked to moderators to handle them
If you trying to say with it, that I can't complain about rules if I can't suggest substitution... You wrong.
Everyone can complain as far as he has reasoning.

My reasoning, in case if you haven't understood:
1) This rule uncertain.
2) Any achievement or success can be interpreted as "look how cool I am"
KanedaFr wrote:What do you want ? apologies ?
No. Apologies was actually outrageous. Without apologies I would keep it inside. But, they provoked me.
They could cause no rage if they wouldn't feels false.

For me, I like rules where it's something like following:
Prohibited posts containing: Violations of law, Spam, Insults, Scam, very low informative (i.e. +1, consisting of only smiles)
Discourage: complaints without reasoning, offtopic.

Note: to avoid mods say "it's not reasoning, it's bullshit."
I would add note: any reasoning is reasoning as far it can be interpreted somehow.
You can accept reasoning or not, it's up to you, but user should provide it.

In other words: jokes (even moron ones), "look how cool I am" is permitted as far as it does not violate other rules.

There are many big forums around, and they somehow alive.
Better example is imageboards where (fix me if I wrong) no moderation at all.

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:10 am

r57shell wrote: I argue with eke about: is it understandable or not.
If by "I understand" he meant that he just realized what happened - then I think he used bad word.
Then I've described situation in case if he missed twitter message & replies. That's all.
I am not a native english speaker either but for me,
saying you can eventually understand someone's reaction does not mean you agree with it or you are defending his action. It's simply showing minimal empathy towards someone and can sometime help to solve the problem (or preventing it to happen again) by understanding what caused it in the first place.

jotego
Interested

Post by jotego » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:52 am

I am a newbie in the forum but let me share my two pennies about this topic:

-I think this is a valuable forum about Megadrive hardware and software development.
-I think that is already enough. It is always hard for people to come and together and make projects in their spare time. The most we can expect is that the forum let us them connect through time. So if someone made something six months ago and posted information, I can come and benefit from that information now. I also post my discoveries.
-I had to tweet Kaneda about getting my account approved. I wonder if there is a queue of account requests pending to be resolved...
-I think the forum has too much valuable information that is not available elsewhere. If Kaneda ever thinks of closing it, I think it should provide a backup so someone else can host this. Possibly even with the same domain name.

This forum has been very helpful to me. I thank Kaneda for making it possible. I think his contribution to the scene has been great, even if it hasn't been what he liked it to be in the first time. When we have a child, we never know which way he will grow up. But as long as he is alive, it just makes us happy :-)

r57shell
Very interested

Post by r57shell » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Eke wrote:I am not a native english speaker either but for me,
saying you can eventually understand someone's reaction does not mean you agree with it or you are defending his action. It's simply showing minimal empathy towards someone and can sometime help to solve the problem (or preventing it to happen again) by understanding what caused it in the first place.
For me, "I understand" means you can agree or disagree, but it's acceptable for sure.
For example "I understand if someone didn't run into burning house to save people" means it's acceptable and you're sad. It doesn't mean you agree or disagree with it. Opposite: "I don't understand how someone may refuse to run into burning house to save people" means you think it's unacceptable.