VGM Music Maker

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

mic_
Very interested

Post by mic_ » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:12 pm

this crap is attached by the compiler (MSVC 2008 Express), and I can't find how to fix this. Source code for the dlls is provided with the editor, so maybe someone can recompile them to remove that dependency.
I don't think you can get around this. In earlier versions of VS there was an option to link against the CRT statically, but I think they removed it in VS2008 so that you always need the DLL.
Most people will probably already have the DLLs on their Windows computer, but some might not. Somewhere in the VS directories you should be able to find the redistributable DLLs and the manifest (not sure if that's the case with the express edition). You can add those to your vgmmaker archives to make sure people get the right DLLs.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:29 pm

I'm actually found a solution for this already, and it was used in the 1.01. Can't test it, though.

I don't have to include any additional DLLs into the package anyway, because there is freely available MSVC 2008 Redistributable on MS site that has everything that is needed.

Gigasoft
Very interested

Post by Gigasoft » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:04 pm

Just go into project settings, select All Configurations, and navigate to Configuration Properties, Linker, Input. Set "Ignore All Default Libraries" to Yes. Then select the Advanced heading and enter "DllMain" in the Entry Point field.

Here is the import library for an older version of the Visual C++ runtime, which should always be present on all Windows installations, so that nothing needs to be bundled with the program. You can then link with this library instead of the default one, if you are using the runtime.
https://rapidshare.com/files/1974867925/MSVCRT.LIB

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:10 pm

New version works much better! It runs in wine without trouble so far, and the output file works much better on real hardware. Great job! :D

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:45 am

Chilly Willy, by the way, I've got few reports that VGM export in 1.0 worked fine under wine. Which module you've tried to export that caused to the hang? I mean, there is only one test module, did you used it, or made your own?

bastien
Very interested

Post by bastien » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:43 am

what the advantage of a VGM export instead the TFD Format.
Sry but i don't understand why it's a better tools than TFM Music Maker.

But great Job too :lol:

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:02 am

Shiru wrote:Chilly Willy, by the way, I've got few reports that VGM export in 1.0 worked fine under wine. Which module you've tried to export that caused to the hang? I mean, there is only one test module, did you used it, or made your own?
I used the test.vge that came with it. I used the first export option... "VGM file for Genesis/MD". It hung after clicking okay on the file requester. That version also hung while trying to quit the program, as well.

I'm using wine 1.2.2 from the Ubuntu repo under Xubuntu 10.10 on a 32-bit CoreDuo system.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:05 am

bastien wrote:what the advantage of a VGM export instead the TFD Format.
TFD export is still there (FM part only).
bastien wrote:Sry but i don't understand why it's a better tools than TFM Music Maker.
Try to run it.

mic_
Very interested

Post by mic_ » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 am

bastien wrote:what the advantage of a VGM export instead the TFD Format.
Sry but i don't understand why it's a better tools than TFM Music Maker.
It has PSG support. I thought TFM only supported the FM channels, but I might be wrong.

tinctu
Very interested

Post by tinctu » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:30 am

Here is my VGM MM Facebook fanpage:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VGM-Musi ... 7663706782

And Soundcloud dropbox for your VGM Music Maker tunes:
http://soundcloud.com/vgmmusicmaker/dropbox

BTW please put here links for best VGM players for MD,SMS.GG...

mic_
Very interested

Post by mic_ » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:23 pm

tinctu wrote: BTW please put here links for best VGM players for MD,SMS.GG...
Genesis here.
The rest here.

CosmoBuggi
Interested

Post by CosmoBuggi » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:59 pm

I have just encountered a problem.

Whenever i have a note on FM channel 6 playing as well as a Sample effect on any channel, it seems that the harder the hit of the DAC, the more it foozes out. It seems somehow that FM channel 6 and the S00 effect are somehow connected as well as i can not mute FM Channel 6 without also muting the DAC samples.

andlabs
Very interested

Post by andlabs » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:07 pm

If the sample channel plays through the YM2612, you cannot have it and FM6 playing at the same time; one replaces the other.

Nice to see these expansions put in; I'll be sure to try it later (sound didn't work in wine in the first release but I'll try the second one later, or just run it in Windows =P ).

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:09 pm

Please learn the hardware you trying to write music for. That's how YM2612 works, that's explained in the help, in the Sxx effect explaination.

andlabs, I've got many reports that the editor works fine under wine, only few people had some problems (Chilly Willy, with VGM export, and now you).

CosmoBuggi
Interested

Post by CosmoBuggi » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:21 pm

I can't get the help instructions to work and load up for me, it just claims "The page can not be displayed"