Size limits

For anything related to cart (SRAM, SF2 mapper, audio, CD mode 1, ...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

cero
Very interested

Re: Size limits

Post by cero » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:13 pm

I think many emulators don't bother implementing any limit (beyond a 8-bit var). IIRC I tested mednafen and/or dgen.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:18 pm

About Bank switch ? in fact i don't know any emulator which does really support generic bank switch (Gens limit to 8 MB for instance and i know some others just support SSF2 in a hacky way).
Last edited by Stef on Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:36 pm

Fusion is limited to 6MB, Regen is limited to 5MB, yeah.

BlastEm seems like it may support 128MB, though no guarantees on this as nobody has attempted that yet. The header needs to have "SEGA SSF2" instead of "SEGA MEGA DRIVE" to enable this, however (real hardware doesn't care, mind you). You'll probably want a custom flashcart to test it on real hardware too…
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:58 pm

Jorge is making a few Giga carts sometime this year. I've arranged to get two from him when he does.

mix256
Very interested

Post by mix256 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:44 am

Sik wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:36 pm
Fusion is limited to 6MB, Regen is limited to 5MB, yeah.

BlastEm seems like it may support 128MB, though no guarantees on this as nobody has attempted that yet. The header needs to have "SEGA SSF2" instead of "SEGA MEGA DRIVE" to enable this, however (real hardware doesn't care, mind you). You'll probably want a custom flashcart to test it on real hardware too…
Tempted to fool around with my bread board. Been a while. Using a RAM, the turnaround time for testing would be quite fast as well. I guess.
Chilly Willy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:58 pm
Jorge is making a few Giga carts sometime this year. I've arranged to get two from him when he does.
What does this board contain? I'm definitely interested in this as well.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:19 pm

128MB (1Gbit) of flash, and 2MB of save ram, IIRC. It uses the standard SEGA mapper with all 8 bits of the bank registers implemented. It uses level shifters to interface with the 3V parts. And that's it. Just a straightforward BIG flash cart.

Jorge has a special box he made to flash carts like this, but you can also put a piece of tape over the /CART line and boot a CD to write the flash on a MD/CD. That's how I intend to program mine... when he gets around to making them. :D

mix256
Very interested

Post by mix256 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:49 pm

Chilly Willy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:19 pm
128MB (1Gbit) of flash, and 2MB of save ram, IIRC. It uses the standard SEGA mapper with all 8 bits of the bank registers implemented. It uses level shifters to interface with the 3V parts. And that's it. Just a straightforward BIG flash cart.

Jorge has a special box he made to flash carts like this, but you can also put a piece of tape over the /CART line and boot a CD to write the flash on a MD/CD. That's how I intend to program mine... when he gets around to making them. :D
If I'm going to continue doing the "one huge background image" for PLANE_B in my shmup, I really need to decide on this since each screen will take up 36K. Aaaargh, the pressure. :)

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:37 pm

Wait, it's for that shmup where you were using a map photo for the background? I mean, huh, dunno, but maybe it'd be better for you to use pixelart and reuse tiles as needed. There's no reason why you should be spending that much on a scrolling background unless you go full Silpheed with its prerendered 3D graphics.
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".