Regen 0.972 and 0.972D

AamirM's Regen forum

Moderator: AamirM

sheath
Very interested

Post by sheath » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:56 pm

I would like to add to my comments that I in no way intend to insult the authors of any emulator. I know what it is like to produce something on the side from a "real job" to the best of one's ability. I have also found that I am only driven to perform difficult feats by receiving the input from others. That is the only reason I have posted the last few posts about emulator "accuracy". I do hope that a clearly articulated standard can be developed for "accuracy" that meets all reasonable needs.

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:37 pm

Yes Sega Mega Drive Model 1 is stock, i just have troubles with sound card and speakers.
Last edited by Shadow on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:19 am

For those who are getting PSG being too loud, set the PSG level to 0.75 and see if that fixes the problem.

sheath, yeah I found the problem as well but a bit late :(. The problem was that Regen will pass the graphics memory buffer to the plugin to render its output to and for some strange reason, your processor READS from the memory (maybe because of caching) which should not be happening. Reading something from graphics memory is VERY VERY slow and thats why you were having the problem. Now if you enable the scanlines, Regen won't pass the graphics buffer but a simple plain RAM buffer (becauase scanlines are applied at the last stage) and now you won't notice the problem because reading from RAM isn't slow.

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:21 pm

AamirM wrote:For those who are getting PSG being too loud, set the PSG level to 0.75 and see if that fixes the problem.
That's ironic because I set it to 0.76 and it was working fine! :lol: Excellent work though.

One problem though when you do this, there's a part of the Separation Anxiety music that 'drowns' out for a moment, which actually happens on the real hardware but isn't that audible or noticeable.

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:13 pm

Yes if you have more cool sound system it may sound loud on PSG 1.00

this my fault, i spam around here :oops:
Last edited by Shadow on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:26 am

Today i finally got what i want hehe :lol: i never give up and never stop, my neighbors give me 1 hour to play my old VHS LP record, yes my Mega Drive 2 volumes of PSG as Nestopia emulator, old VHS this is more than memory! so all your setup's wrong at all for russian audio standards.

Don't matter who use HD or Stereo, default settings not perfect, plus i know what stereo only replace sound samples to left and right speakers and it no decrease volumes, i seriously say it, no time for jokes and laughing, i'm not a moron or idiot, i end school almost perfect and have a lot abilityes and skills, i spend a lot time for learning hardware of this console more than 15 years! music in this console build on high and medium frequences, best use small speakers they give more melodies, because on powerfull speakers "SVEN" my brother, melodies more silence than on my own, i use PSG 1.50 and fine, and my brother use 1.86 and then it sounds without difference! you see it? big speakers may decrease volume of melody.

Please believe me! i seriously say it, i say always true :wink:

I may show small demonstration of my skills :)

New record with small modifications:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C3VDLHPL

-Speed decreased to 2x
-Added cool 3D effect

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:45 pm

Shadow, I am only trying to emulate the "stock" (original) Model 1 Genesis/Megadrive only. Nothing else (including the clones and speakers/TV) ;) . The other external features and options are there only to simulate the TV/speaker and/or a clone. If they work for you then great but I am NOT going to modify the emulation code to emulate a clone Megadrive.

And yes, I know that Regen is not perfect. As you and others have already said, there seems to be something wrong with the PSG (and its levels) but hopefully I will fix those next time around :) .

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks AamirM :wink:

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:20 pm

Regen perfectly work on Windows 7 (after 7 days hard testing)
I have issues in Window mode in Windows Vista/7 picture move no smooth

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:56 pm

Yeah, that's because Regen/Turbo Engine 16 needs to support Windows Aero, thanks to Steve Snake's code. ;)

Flygon
Very interested

Post by Flygon » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:27 pm

Yeah, like King said, it's caused by Aero.

It shouldn't harm you to switch back to the Basic or Classic theme, it's basically the same without the extra eye candy. Hell, I can't actually operate using the more sophisticated themes, it just burns into my eyes. :P

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:17 pm

Very strange, in Windows Vista Basic it happen too, and we know what this version no include Aero support! something strange: 5 seconds picture almost smooth and after 5-10 seconds completely lost speed and more 5 seconds smooth again, in fullscreen all work perfect always 59.73-60.46 on both Vista\Seven.

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:13 am

Okay i found pictures of my console this more different thing, and no have any themes of Model 1 or Model 2 or Genesis

This unknown model of Sega which always available in russian shops:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2ZBEBAGW

plus i really found russian forums: and they talk about stereo! but by default it work in mono, if change some devices and make special Scart cable it maybe work in stereo, because our TV have analog signal in mono, so this impossible to make stereo, plus in real time 2009 year our all TV channels still work in mono! so we live in different countryes and can't understand simple things.

So i sure what consoles created specially for our region: Audio: Mono Video: PAL 50Hz and another minor changes

i show pictures, record dumps of MP3 and it still no have any truth?

O... i forgot i look all your models in internet pages, i never see these consoles, i know only Mega Drive 2, Magistr Drive 5, Magistr Drive Z
Sorry guys i don't want buy consoles from America, most games can't run on this consoles, and due to problems with TV, stereo will be like a mono, i have DVD player which 100% support stereo, dolby digital, and Stereo MP3 work in Mono only

Cartridges only in PAL or Japan PAL or French SECAM system, so on your consoles it in most time show black screen with unsupported region

But wait! i have some more info this is our shops (on russian language)

http://vid.abc.ru/tv.game/sega_magistrdrive2.htm

and Mega Drive 2:

http://www.galaxa.ru/product_info.php/p ... /1986//amp

another version Mega Drive 2 with stereo support:

http://www.play-play.ru/sega/

in this page you may see experiments of russian guys, they try to fix console, but never mind, look at form factor this console!

http://gbx.ru/lofiversion/index.php/t46080.html

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:46 pm

The bottom ones look like Mega Drive model 2 consoles to me but with mono sound? I thought all model 2 Mega Drive/Genesis consoles had stereo sound by default? You probably have one of the 'bad' revisions with horrible audio quality (nearly all model 2 revisions have crappy audio compared with the model 1s).

And the Magistr Drive still sounds like a clone to me.

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:31 pm

Yeah i have mono version, i search all shops and in most of them i found these Mega Drive 2 only, in 2000 year i go in shops and found Magistr Drive clones, now in real time you see all our consoles.
Last edited by Shadow on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.