Regen 0.97 and 0.97D

AamirM's Regen forum

Moderator: AamirM

Killa B

Post by Killa B » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:26 pm

AamirM wrote:Yeah, updating the Regen on Linux is the next thing on the list.
Awesome! :D

xZabuzax
Interested

Post by xZabuzax » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:20 am

King Of Chaos wrote:Because it's something you can't do on real hardware. Any features or options that deviate away from real hardware emulation are considered "test" options for one's enjoyment or need to tweak. Kega got it right because Snake did a lot of hardware testing (and he's an expert on things regarding sound).
Every time i hear this kind of comments it makes me want to pull my hair out, i had to create 2 accounts (1 in this forum and 1 in the Kega Fusion forum) just to say something about comments like this...

In the Kega Fusion forums there's a dude named "King" that made this same comment so i responded and WILL copy paste it here too...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
King said:

"I don't see the point, to be honest. If anything, features like this could ruin the experience."

"Because it's something you can't do on the actual hardware. ;)"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I responded:

I completely disagree with you, by your logic emulators shouldn't have a "save/load state feature, or video filters feature, save screenshots feature, show fps feature, fast forward feature, etc..." because features like that could "also" ruin the experience because you can't do that on the actual hardware...right?

I would also like a feature to control the sounds and to make the drums in "PSG" sound more louder because it sounds very low in Kega Fusion. Yeah i know this emulator sounds as close as the real hardware but there are "thousands" of peoples like me that likes the feature to be implemented too, and it actually improves the experience because you hear the drums, etc... more loudly and in my case it sounds better that way...

Anyways if you don't like the feature you could always disable it in the sound menu, but for those who likes hearing the drums beats more loudly you could enable it and enjoy the music at your taste.

In my case adding that feature would make this emulator more awesome!

Now on the topic, Regen is comming a long way and it's becoming my favorite Sega emulator, kudos to you "AamirM", this piece of work is not only accurate, but it also have neat features... this is becoming a PERFECT emulator! and it's competing with Kega Fusion for a first place IMHO.

*Now for the constructive comment*

I spotted some bugs in the new version 0.97, most of them was mentioned already, the other bug is a crash when enabling the "SuperHQ" option with a Game Gear game.

Also the optimized version (Regen 0.97 SSE2) doesn't start on my pc that supports SSE2.

PC Spec:

Athlon64 3200+
Integrated Nvidia Geforce 6100
Win XP Professional
2GB Ram

(Bear in mind that english is not my main language but i tried my best to sound as clear as possible.)
________
BUY GLASS BONGS
Last edited by xZabuzax on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:44 am

@Shadow

I'll check out the crashes soon. The Sonic 3D savestate you sent me works for me fine and its not crashing here. But I'll check it out again anyways and the other problems as well.
I completely disagree with you, by your logic emulators shouldn't have a "save/load state feature, or video filters feature, save screenshots feature, show fps feature, fast forward feature, etc..." because features like that could "also" ruin the experience because you can't do that on the actual hardware...right?
The thing is that some emu authors don't like to modify the core emulator to add some front-end, hardware-deviating features. The features you described all are done AFTER the core emulation has done its work. But for example if you wanted to boost the PSG noise, you would have to modify the actual PSG emulation code for that. The thing like video filtering can be done without modifying the VDP/rendering code.
it's competing with Kega Fusion for a first place IMHO
No, I am in NO WAY competing with Kega Fusion or any other emulator for that matter. Please don't turn this into a rivalry/competition thing. How can it be a competition when Steve himself has helped me with some of the stuff? So everybody please refrain from making these sort of comments. Both emulators are good in their own ways and its up to the user to decide for themselves as everyone has their own opinions.
I spotted some bugs in the new version 0.97, most of them was mentioned already, the other bug is a crash when enabling the "SuperHQ" option with a Game Gear game.
Enable SuperHQ first, then load a Game Gear game. But yeah, its a bug and I'll get to fixing it.
Also the optimized version (Regen 0.97 SSE2) doesn't start on my pc that supports SSE2.
Yeah, I thought it would but it doesn't. Just use the normal build. Next time, I'll try to make it work on Athlons as well since now I've got access to such system. :)

EDIT:
And I almost forgot:
KillaB wrote:Awesome! :D
Welcome to the forums KillaB (aka Arch regen maintainer ;) ).

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:41 am

AamirM

Thunder Force 3 crash: unknown software exception (0xc0000005) on address 0x00517c05

I don't know what happen, but exeptions in this address, appear very frequently. please fix
this bug, on Kega Fusion 3.63 all games RUN without ANY CRASHES!
This is no my PC error! ;-)

Plus in Regen 0.96 all my favorite games worked perfectly!

It must be missed code in Regen 0.97 or this release work very unstable on Athlon 64 X2 proccessors?

I send you picture with error dialog window

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:36 pm

Kettenhund / xZabuzax /
and all people which have AMD Proccessors:

Please check these games for crashes, i really need help:

Sonic 3D Blast Flickies' Island - Special Stage "Chaos Emeralds"
Super Mario Bros (Unl)
Thunder Force 3 - in level Seiren

After load Game Gear games and load anothers for genesis games, it cause to crash?
After load first Game Gear game second game may crash emulator?
Tails Adventures crash on yours PC?

In advance thanks ;-)

xZabuzax
Interested

Post by xZabuzax » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:38 pm

AamirM wrote: The thing is that some emu authors don't like to modify the core emulator to add some front-end, hardware-deviating features. The features you described all are done AFTER the core emulation has done its work. But for example if you wanted to boost the PSG noise, you would have to modify the actual PSG emulation code for that. The thing like video filtering can be done without modifying the VDP/rendering code.
That's completely understandable, but the way King Of Chaos said it made me want to say something about it. (It made it look like adding features was a bad thing...)
AamirM wrote: No, I am in NO WAY competing with Kega Fusion or any other emulator for that matter. Please don't turn this into a rivalry/competition thing. How can it be a competition when Steve himself has helped me with some of the stuff? So everybody please refrain from making these sort of comments. Both emulators are good in their own ways and its up to the user to decide for themselves as everyone has their own opinions.
A friendly rivalry won't hurt, some peoples get inspired with rivalry, other's dont. They are both awesome emulators and deserve to have all the hottest blondies/brunettes chicks... and cars... and lot's of money...

Anyway if anything happens Regen could always retort to the "Bitting The Ear" tactic...

...j/k :lol:
AamirM wrote: Yeah, I thought it would but it doesn't. Just use the normal build. Next time, I'll try to make it work on Athlons as well since now I've got access to such system. :)
Kickass!!!
Shadow wrote: After load Game Gear games and load anothers for genesis games, it cause to crash?
Yep, when you load a Game Gear game, then a Genesis game and then a Game Gear game again it crash.
Shadow wrote: Tails Adventures crash on yours PC?
Tails' Adventures (U) doesn't crash, however... Tails' Adventures (U) [b1] DOES crash.

In closing, keep up the awesome work on emulators "AamirM", i respect emulator authors because what they do is really talented and freaking amazing and i wish all of you dudes the best.
________
Vaporizer Wiki
Last edited by xZabuzax on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:16 pm

Yeah i understand, it means now i must use Regen 0.96? or completely go to help Steve Snake? no one understand me, ha but i dark man, i like a Shadow the Hedgehog at 86% i always complete my work at 100% no matter if i die, this just my promise to help every one who need help.

No matter i have unlimited nerves, i decide to help AamirM and Steve Snake, and completely give all my free time for testing both emulators!

But i just sit and wait another versions of Regen 0.98 or 1.00 and Kega Fusion 3.64.

Good Luck!

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:07 pm

Yeah i understand, it means now i must use Regen 0.96? or completely go to help Steve Snake? no one understand me, ha but i dark man, i like a Shadow the Hedgehog at 86% i always complete my work at 100% no matter if i die, this just my promise to help every one who need help.
I get that you are having a lot of issues with Regen 0.97 and I am trying to fix them but I can't fix them all overnight. So you'll have to be a bit patient. ;)

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:08 pm

I try to test in another machines include on PC my Brothers but:
some games on Regen 0.97 crash on both my own PC:

First PC:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-MA790DS4 - Bios F9
Audio: Realtek HD ALC 889A
Video Card: ATI Radeon 4850 - 512MB Memory
RAM: DDR2-800 4096MB
HDD: SATA2 500GB

Second PC:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+
MotherBoard: ASUS M3N780-HDMI Deluxe - Bios F5
Video Card: Geforce 8200 - 128MB Memory
RAM: DDR2-800 2048MB
HDD: IDE 40GB

Yes i undestand, i may to wait next version in next month or more...
Last edited by Shadow on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

edc2008

Post by edc2008 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:37 pm

Hi Aamir,

I noticed the 3D Glass simulation option. Does this actually let you see the 3D SMS games in 3D (with the glasses on of course 8) ) like Meka can, or does it just stop the image flickering?

Also I think I've checked every 3D game that was made and this feature seems to work fine with them all except Space Harrier 3D. Top half of the title screen still flickers and the some of the ingame backgrounds and sprites flicker too. That's a small problem for you to be dealing with though of course.

sheath
Very interested

Post by sheath » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:59 pm

I'd just like to chime in that I am also waiting for an Athlon 64 compatible version of Regen. I also appreciate everything Steve Snake and all emulator contributors have offered to the scene. I'd just like to see and hear the same thing out of an emulator as I do from my Genesis/SegaCD/32X one day. Only then will I be satisfied that "history" will not be altered by technology.

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:39 pm

sheath

You have problems with Regen 0.97 too?
Very funny in my system more than 50~ error messages! ;-)
my favorite games crash during gameplay.

how type of processor you use: AMD Athlon single core or X2 or X4?
I am use AMD Athlon X2 6000+ and have problems with Regen 0.97 :-)

In advance thanks!

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:51 pm

xZabuzax wrote:I completely disagree with you, by your logic emulators shouldn't have a "save/load state feature, or video filters feature, save screenshots feature, show fps feature, fast forward feature, etc..." because features like that could "also" ruin the experience because you can't do that on the actual hardware...right?
Yes, and I really don't use those features to be honest. Those features are more of a novelty just to please individuals with the features they couldn't have on the actual hardware. Which honestly, does take away from some of the experience. Especially if you've never used a Genesis/Mega Drive before. Adding features isn't bad, as long as they're optional. ;)

Know what I'd like to see? A "stripped" emulator with only the basics and no special features. Be as close to the real hardware as possible. :P

P.S. I'm King on Eidolon's Inn and I still stand by my statement there and here. I should of just elaborated a little more. :P

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:03 pm

Yes i undestand, i may to wait next version in next month or more
Nah, it should be ready this month (if all goes according to the plan) ;).
I noticed the 3D Glass simulation option. Does this actually let you see the 3D SMS games in 3D (with the glasses on of course ) like Meka can, or does it just stop the image flickering?
It just stops the flickering :) . Though I can try to add support for real 3D glasses if you want (but no guarantees).
sheath wrote:I'd just like to chime in that I am also waiting for an Athlon 64 compatible version of Regen.
Oh Regen works with Athlon 64 already. Just download the normal build. Its only the SSE2 build thats having problems. Or did you mean the 64-bit build?

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:05 pm

Yeah, he means the 64-bit build. The 32-bit builds will work fine on 64-bit Windows due to the WoW64. What kind of speedups would we see on a 64-bit build, if any?