TFM Music Maker

Talk about development tools here

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Alex Luthor

Post by Alex Luthor » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:52 pm

I've been using TFM for quite a while now and it works great, but one thing that I could never get to work like I wanted to is the feedback effect.

When I use an instrument with 'built-in' feedback, it doesn't revert back to it's original form when a new note is triggered but 'keeps going' so to speak. Any way to work around that without changing channel between notes? And is that how it's supposed to work?

I know there's the command, but when it is used the tracker slows down to a crawl so I haven't been able to try it that way.

Another thing I should point out is that the .vgm conversion is pretty unstable, it often makes the track skip beats or play unintended sounds. Happens maybe 20% of the time for me.

Finally here are some tunes made with the program:
http://8bitcollective.com/music/AlexLut ... 26+psg%29/

http://8bitcollective.com/music/AlexLut ... ck+(demo)/

http://8bitcollective.com/music/AlexLut ... +Extended/

http://8bitcollective.com/music/AlexLut ... Ring+King/

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:35 pm

Alex Luthor wrote:When I use an instrument with 'built-in' feedback, it doesn't revert back to it's original form when a new note is triggered but 'keeps going' so to speak. Any way to work around that without changing channel between notes? And is that how it's supposed to work?
Feedback is not 'built-in' or 'built-out', it's a capability of the operator 0 to modulate itself. It's a static parameter, it does not change over time. Only thing that changes over time is the operators envelopes, and envelope does not resets with new note. It's all the hardware-defined behaviour.
Alex Luthor wrote:I know there's the command, but when it is used the tracker slows down to a crawl so I haven't been able to try it that way.
Maybe you're using wrong effect, Fxx instead of EFx?
Alex Luthor wrote:Another thing I should point out is that the .vgm conversion is pretty unstable
It's known problem, I can't fix this. It does not happen on my computers.

Alex Luthor

Post by Alex Luthor » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:44 pm

Ok, that's not what I meant though. I want the instrument to go back to "feedback level 0" with every note triggered, instead it keeps going to whatever the instrument was set to. I really don't know how much simpler I could explain it without showing it.

It actually worked now when I tried it ( I wasn't using Fxx, I know that would change the tempo). This just made the program lag like hell so I can barely use it. still, using the command seems to have a weird effect on some instruments so the above method is preferable.

It might be my comp but it should be powerful enough for a prog like this.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:18 pm

The difference between feedback = x and feedback = y is a DIFFERENT INSTRUMENT!! I don't know how we can explain that any better. You want the feedback to change? Change the instrument.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:31 pm

Alex Luthor wrote:Ok, that's not what I meant though. I want the instrument to go back to "feedback level 0" with every note triggered, instead it keeps going to whatever the instrument was set to. I really don't know how much simpler I could explain it without showing it.
If you want to have feedback level other than defined in the instrument settings, you must use EFx effect. You also can make another instrument with feedback level which you need.
Alex Luthor wrote:It might be my comp but it should be powerful enough for a prog like this.
How can I answer anything if you didn't provide specs of your comp? All I can say, Celeron 1.7 is enough, and slower CPU's probably would be enough too, but they would require larger sound buffer (see Editor/WaveOut).

Alex Luthor

Post by Alex Luthor » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:20 am

ChillyWilly: Ok, chill Willy. Can't a noob ask for help in this forum? I'm not asking what feedback is, how it works or whatever.
Chilly Willy wrote:Change the instrument.
Yes and how do I change it without making it sound different yet still achieving what I want? That is what I've been asking about.

shiru: I was just thinking out loud but okay, I'm using a laptop with 2Ghz cpu so it should be fine.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:39 am

Sorry, didn't mean for it to come out as harsh as it sounded. :oops: Anywho, Shiru seems to have answered your question: either change the instrument (my suggestion) or use EFx effect (sounds like what you want).

CosmoBuggi
Interested

Post by CosmoBuggi » Fri May 01, 2009 1:49 am

I gotta say, as soon as i figured out how to use this thing(note: this was the first tracker i've ever used) i fell in love with it. I am very much improving with it as well, which is nice, and it makes it even more enjoyable to use!

I'm rather looking forward to the one with PSG and DAC support, so i can do very authentic sounding complete tracks and even sample my own drums into DAC to suit my own taste. :D
But i do not encourage any rush, if it takes time, take all the time you need Shiru. :wink:

Many thanks to ya for making this sweet ass tracker! :D

Edit: Also, any way possible to make stereo tracks? If so, spill it!

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Fri May 01, 2009 8:54 am

CosmoBuggi wrote:Edit: Also, any way possible to make stereo tracks? If so, spill it!
For now, you can use the E8x effect. It is not audible in tracker, but when you export *.vgm, you'll hear the stereo in external players.

CosmoBuggi
Interested

Post by CosmoBuggi » Fri May 01, 2009 6:22 pm

E8x, does that mean you put E81/E82/ on where those three dots are on each channel? Actually, i think i've heard you mention this one before. E81 will make it come out of the left speaker, E82 out of right speaker, is that correct?
Last edited by CosmoBuggi on Fri May 01, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Fri May 01, 2009 6:32 pm

CosmoBuggi wrote:E8x, does that mean you put E81/E82/ on where those three dots are on each channel? Actually, i think i've heard you mention this one before. E81 will make it come out of the left speaker, E82 out of right speaker, is that correct?
Yes, everything is correct.

CosmoBuggi
Interested

Post by CosmoBuggi » Fri May 01, 2009 6:34 pm

Okay, thanks, also, what can i use to listen to VGM files?

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Fri May 01, 2009 7:37 pm

Get a VGM plugin for Winamp and use Winamp. You can get the plugin from SMSpower!.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

CosmoBuggi
Interested

Post by CosmoBuggi » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:01 pm

Also, may i ask, how do you get to export the stereo tracks into WAV/MP3 while being able to hear the stereo sound?

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:33 am

you have to export a VGM and use some VGM player to get the Stereo.... ?
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen