Gen cart pinout

For hardware talk only (please avoid ROM dumper stuff)
User avatar
KanedaFr
Administrateur
Posts: 1104
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:56 am
Contact:

Gen cart pinout

Post by KanedaFr » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:19 pm

Sorry for this but I can't find the lastest version of the cart port pinout.

The one floating around isn't complete, I KNOW someone here put a more complete (and corrected) version (with SL1 & SR1 pins for ex)

ps: yes, I used the search button..but it can't find it :(

User avatar
HardWareMan
Very interested
Posts: 698
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:49 am
Location: Kazakhstan, Pavlodar

Post by HardWareMan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Use it. ;)
Image
Image

User avatar
KanedaFr
Administrateur
Posts: 1104
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:56 am
Contact:

Post by KanedaFr » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:45 am

ah ah! yes! I totally forgot these pics ;=)
thanks

Do you if some games use these SL1 & SR1 pins ?
I think it must only be used by the 32X no ?

User avatar
TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested
Posts: 2284
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:37 pm
Location: Estonia, Rapla City
Contact:

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:12 am

only 32X uses them.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

User avatar
KanedaFr
Administrateur
Posts: 1104
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:56 am
Contact:

Post by KanedaFr » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:12 pm

if you connect an external jack to these 2 pins, it will be mixed in audio ouput no ? perhaps you must be sure of the signal ? I'm not good at audio signal but I remember learning about amp....perhaps you need to be sure audio isn't already 'amped' (?) or the CXA works with any signal ?

Chilly Willy
Very interested
Posts: 2466
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:33 pm

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:22 pm

TmEE co.(TM) wrote:only 32X uses them.
Well, SUPPOSEDLY they were used with the SVP as well... I guess SEGA was thinking that future SVP games might use the SVP for more intense audio instead of polygons. That would be closer to the original use of the DSP that makes the SVP.

User avatar
HardWareMan
Very interested
Posts: 698
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:49 am
Location: Kazakhstan, Pavlodar

Post by HardWareMan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:36 am

KanedaFr wrote:if you connect an external jack to these 2 pins, it will be mixed in audio ouput no ? perhaps you must be sure of the signal ? I'm not good at audio signal but I remember learning about amp....perhaps you need to be sure audio isn't already 'amped' (?) or the CXA works with any signal ?
The power of signal afected to SL1/SR1 must exactly same as SL2/SR2 on extension slot (for MegaCD). I guess 0.5-1 volts of amplitude will be enough and nothing goes to smoke.

User avatar
TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested
Posts: 2284
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:37 pm
Location: Estonia, Rapla City
Contact:

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:40 pm

both cart and CD audip pins use same signal strenght and they are mixed straight with FM and PSG. Virtua Racing cart has the audio pins unused IIRC... I need to check again...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Gigasoft
Very interested
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:24 am

Post by Gigasoft » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Is this why my Game Genie makes strange buzzing noises in the background? Perhaps some current is leaking into one of these pins.

eteream
Very interested
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:13 pm

Post by eteream » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:40 pm

One related question (if this is totally off topic, tell me and I will delete it):

Since cart pin out has from A01 to A23, it can address 8 Megabytes. Well this is true? The upper 4MB are Sega restricted, but not hardware restricted? Or I-m missing something?

Chilly Willy
Very interested
Posts: 2466
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:33 pm

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:16 am

eteream wrote:One related question (if this is totally off topic, tell me and I will delete it):

Since cart pin out has from A01 to A23, it can address 8 Megabytes. Well this is true? The upper 4MB are Sega restricted, but not hardware restricted? Or I-m missing something?
You're missing A0. The 68000 bus is a WORD bus. A1-23 is 16 MBytes, not 8. It's just addressed as 8 Mwords. There are byte strobes to tell the difference between "upper" and "lower" bytes on byte writes.

eteream
Very interested
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:13 pm

Post by eteream » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:09 am

Chilly Willy wrote:
eteream wrote:One related question (if this is totally off topic, tell me and I will delete it):

Since cart pin out has from A01 to A23, it can address 8 Megabytes. Well this is true? The upper 4MB are Sega restricted, but not hardware restricted? Or I-m missing something?
You're missing A0. The 68000 bus is a WORD bus. A1-23 is 16 MBytes, not 8. It's just addressed as 8 Mwords. There are byte strobes to tell the difference between "upper" and "lower" bytes on byte writes.
OK, It's true! memory is 16bit words.

But what I'm trying to wonder is: if the cartridge can address 16MB, why they are restricted to 4MB? From the memory map I see there is a free/reserved region between 4MB-8MB; a cartridge can realy use it to be a 8MB cart? Why the A22 & A23 wires arrive to cart pin out if a cartridge can't use it?

User avatar
HardWareMan
Very interested
Posts: 698
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:49 am
Location: Kazakhstan, Pavlodar

Post by HardWareMan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:05 am

eteream wrote:But what I'm trying to wonder is: if the cartridge can address 16MB, why they are restricted to 4MB? From the memory map I see there is a free/reserved region between 4MB-8MB; a cartridge can realy use it to be a 8MB cart? Why the A22 & A23 wires arrive to cart pin out if a cartridge can't use it?
Because SegaMD has not only cartrige as hardware, that can be used. ;)

Chilly Willy
Very interested
Posts: 2466
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:33 pm

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:11 am

eteream wrote:But what I'm trying to wonder is: if the cartridge can address 16MB, why they are restricted to 4MB? From the memory map I see there is a free/reserved region between 4MB-8MB; a cartridge can realy use it to be a 8MB cart? Why the A22 & A23 wires arrive to cart pin out if a cartridge can't use it?
I imagine the originally, SEGA never felt carts would EVER reach 4MB. It's been that way for many companies in the computer business. Apple Mac OS not being 32 bit clean, PCs not allowing for more than 640 KB, MegaDrive carts limited to 4MB...

In the end, SEGA split up the address space so that the first 4MB were cart space, or if you had the CD going, was CD space with cart space moved to the next 4MB, and the next 2 MB was for the 32X.

You also run all sorts of lines to bus ports because you never know what you may need later on. SEGA was a little stingy on the side port, but did a bit better on the cart. Hence the 32X plugging into the cart slot instead of the side expansion port.

eteream
Very interested
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:13 pm

Post by eteream » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:49 am

ok, so the 4MB rom space is a sega restriction, not a hardware restriction (expansion policies, if you let me say so). Then a 8MB cartridge can exist, but it will not be compatible with 32X.

... so all games are mirrored into the 4-8MB space at less... uhmm... forget it, I said nothing...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests