Handheld Sega Megadrive?

For hardware talk only (please avoid ROM dumper stuff)
bennett

Handheld Sega Megadrive?

Post by bennett » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:49 pm

Has anyone got one of these? looks awesome

http://www.segaretro.net

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:29 pm

Hi,

What?? no Street Fighter or Road Rash game??? Thats preposterous!!

Looks nice though.

stay safe,

AamirM

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:43 pm

I read some people got problem with it (some freeze), it's why I didn't bought it. I'll wait to find it cheap on ebay like this HK version
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0283654425

I hope someone will find a way to connect a true cart, like for the radica.
I can't wait to play any game on the bus!

Sega Nomad is so expensive and...big! I never tried to buy it.

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:04 pm

agreed with kanedafr, i really hope for a good md handheld with card port

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:06 am

Good freakin' lord! Just use picodrive on a GP2X or PSP. :roll: :D

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:16 am

Chilly Willy wrote:Good freakin' lord! Just use picodrive on a GP2X or PSP. :roll: :D
Yeah, with its "sound".

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:03 am

i got a gp2x (i bought it for picodrive actualy) & psp, but i still would prefer to have a real md hardware with card slot

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:16 am

Well, you'll NEVER have REAL MD hardware in a handheld... at best you'll have fake ASIC MD hardware. :lol:

As to sound in picodrive, maybe notaz can swipe the MAME code that folks have been working on in the ym2612 thread. Sounds okay to me, but some folks here are REALLY picky about their sound. :wink:

notaz
Very interested

Post by notaz » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:17 am

HardWareMan wrote: Yeah, with its "sound".
*Sigh*. If GP2X and PSP had YM2612 inside, the emu would have perfect sound. But now having just 200/333MHz I just can't do rendering at the native rates with interpolation, accurate SSG-EG and stuff like that (unless you want it to run @ 5fps). After doing CPUs and graphics, there is not that much time left, so the MAME core is hacked in favor of speed over accuracy. While I'm updating code for the new stuff being discovered, I'm sure this won't make people like HardWareMan happy anyway, because they will still see inaccurate waves in their recordings.

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:24 am

The emulator must first be credible. The rest does not matter.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:46 pm

notaz wrote:
HardWareMan wrote: Yeah, with its "sound".
*Sigh*. If GP2X and PSP had YM2612 inside, the emu would have perfect sound. But now having just 200/333MHz I just can't do rendering at the native rates with interpolation, accurate SSG-EG and stuff like that (unless you want it to run @ 5fps). After doing CPUs and graphics, there is not that much time left, so the MAME core is hacked in favor of speed over accuracy. While I'm updating code for the new stuff being discovered, I'm sure this won't make people like HardWareMan happy anyway, because they will still see inaccurate waves in their recordings.
Want some help moving the YM2612 to the ME? Maybe the VP chip in VR could be done on the ME as well. That's a popular speed hack on the GP2X as well - moving the sound to the second ARM processor.

notaz
Very interested

Post by notaz » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:00 am

HardWareMan wrote:The emulator must first be credible. The rest does not matter.
How can it be credible while running like a slideshow? With skipping sound? It would be next to useless.
Chilly Willy wrote: Want some help moving the YM2612 to the ME?
I intended to do that myself, but never had time for it. It could be tricky to do without killing mp3 decoding for Sega CD, which is being done using standard audiocodec lib.
Chilly Willy wrote: Maybe the VP chip in VR could be done on the ME as well.
What VR needs is a dynarec, I tried it on Pandora board @ 600MHz, it wouldn't reach fullspeed with interpreter there..
Chilly Willy wrote: That's a popular speed hack on the GP2X as well - moving the sound to the second ARM processor.
I wouldn't call it popular, only 3 programs (and several demos) are using it, PicoDrive being one of them.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:05 pm

notaz wrote:
HardWareMan wrote:The emulator must first be credible. The rest does not matter.
How can it be credible while running like a slideshow? With skipping sound? It would be next to useless.
Chilly Willy wrote: Want some help moving the YM2612 to the ME?
I intended to do that myself, but never had time for it. It could be tricky to do without killing mp3 decoding for Sega CD, which is being done using standard audiocodec lib.
Chilly Willy wrote: Maybe the VP chip in VR could be done on the ME as well.
What VR needs is a dynarec, I tried it on Pandora board @ 600MHz, it wouldn't reach fullspeed with interpreter there..
Chilly Willy wrote: That's a popular speed hack on the GP2X as well - moving the sound to the second ARM processor.
I wouldn't call it popular, only 3 programs (and several demos) are using it, PicoDrive being one of them.
Yes, using the mp3 audiocodec is a good use of the ME as well. :)

Guess the VR chip runs pretty efficiently if you can't interpret it at 600MHz. :D

More GP2X stuff uses the second ARM than PSP stuff using the ME, so it's just relative.

You might have to look into using the ME another way than just the mp3 codec if you want 32X in picodrive on the PSP. I don't see any way to get any kind of speed without using the ME to take at least some of the burden of four CPUs (five if also CD).

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:05 pm

I still think its best to use a Nomad :)

32X works fine after you solder 3 wires, the PBC works fine after soldering 1 wire.... for MCD, there's a lot more wires needed, but I will make MCD work with Nomad aswell.

:wink:
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3305.0
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=19760
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:41 pm

TmEE co.(TM) wrote:I still think its best to use a Nomad :)
:wink:
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3305.0
Nice stuff! Особенно эквалайзер "Прибой Э014С", усил Амфитон и колонки "Вега 50АС106" ;)