Old Regen pages

AamirM's Regen forum

Moderator: AamirM

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Tue May 06, 2008 6:25 pm

Shiru wrote:
Sik wrote:Not as expensive as a legal Windows
Windows price is about same ($130 for Vista Home Premium SP1, $95 on Amazon for now). And you can get OEM version when buy new computer, it price will be included but much cheaper than retail versions anyway.
It used to be $199. And anyways, you mentioned the Home edition. The Professional edition... Well, let's better ignore that ^_^'
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue May 06, 2008 7:12 pm

OSX doesn't degrade the OS to make versions, so it's not like Home Premium, it's like Ultimate.

F1ReB4LL
Interested

Post by F1ReB4LL » Wed May 07, 2008 4:17 pm

Shiru wrote:I'm not sure that VSync will work with TV-out. 800x600 can be displayed through TV out, but it can't be displayed with TV timings directly.
640x480 and 800x600 are perfect, 720x576 is glitchy with vsync, but other emus work fine in this resolution - Fusion, Nestopia, psx emus, etc. (those, which support 720x576 and vsync).

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Wed May 07, 2008 11:53 pm

Thing to support the 2gen BIOS when Regen starts supporting BIOSes :P if the BIOS has its own SRAM, make sure it's separate from the game. Otherwise SRAM would be shared and disaster would happen there.

Sure, you may say that you can't test this on the real hardware, but then you should force Regen to support only the original BIOS and address only 2KB :P If you mod the hardware and you're good enough, you would be able to replace the BIOS. And replacing BIOSes is quite common when modding.

As a general criteria I would suggest to allow the BIOS do whatever a normal ROM can, having its own address space.

EDIT: there are some clones that have a BIOS bigger than 2KB (like TecToy's Mega Drive 3, not to confuse with Majesco's model 3). I guess that's a good reason to just follow that criteria?
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

Edge-`
Interested

Post by Edge-` » Thu May 08, 2008 3:05 am

Chilly Willy wrote:OSX doesn't degrade the OS to make versions, so it's
not like Home Premium, it's like Ultimate.
That's enough of this arc of the discussion :D, take it to the BlaBla forum ^_^. Keep on topic in helping AamirM makes him emulator better and thus better for the scene.
Genny Wars (Someday.. :D)

8bitwizard
Very interested

Post by 8bitwizard » Fri May 09, 2008 2:42 am

tails92 wrote:I'm just asking a little question: is there going to be a Mac OS X port of Regen in the future? I like Mac OS X very much and would love to use Regen on there, as the emulators available (except for MacGens, non-native, requires X11, and crashes very often) are all monopolized by some Richard Bannister guy, who makes people pay $25 for fullscreen and joystick support, because he considers them "enhanced features". That's dishonest in my opinion.
You forgot the part where he never fixes bugs. There are a couple of bugs in the Colecovision emulator (right fire button doesn't work, and it crashes when a game tries to access an "invalid" memory address).

I've started learning Cocoa, but it'll probably be a while before I can get to the point of doing graphics stuff like that.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Fri May 09, 2008 2:44 pm

8bitwizard wrote:
tails92 wrote:I'm just asking a little question: is there going to be a Mac OS X port of Regen in the future? I like Mac OS X very much and would love to use Regen on there, as the emulators available (except for MacGens, non-native, requires X11, and crashes very often) are all monopolized by some Richard Bannister guy, who makes people pay $25 for fullscreen and joystick support, because he considers them "enhanced features". That's dishonest in my opinion.
You forgot the part where he never fixes bugs. There are a couple of bugs in the Colecovision emulator (right fire button doesn't work, and it crashes when a game tries to access an "invalid" memory address).

I've started learning Cocoa, but it'll probably be a while before I can get to the point of doing graphics stuff like that.
Hi,

Well, thats unlucky for Mac users. I am still trying to get my hands on a Mac machine but no luck here too. I'll keep trying though.

BTW, Doesn't SDL use Cocoa (quartz whatever)? Why is X11 mode not considered native?

stay safe,

AamirM

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Fri May 09, 2008 3:58 pm

Blah, if you know how to dual/triple/quad boot a system, you can install OSX86 that way. Heh, just hope there's drivers for it. :)

Although, you might want to ask byuu about this, as he recently made his own Mac with information here. :)

tails92
Interested

Post by tails92 » Fri May 09, 2008 4:37 pm

Apple is just a misleading and presumptous company, Mac OS X's compatibility for hardware isn't very low.
The hardest thing to get working in my opinion is accellerated video, I had a laptop on which it worked (now sadly dead).
You can have the cheapest integrated AC97 or HDA controller, and the cheapest network card (RTL8139), and you can hear sound and go on the internet.
Just don't expect support for old hardware (old video cards go in VESA3).
But seriously, Socket 423 computers (early pentium 4) can be got for less than $40 nowadays and they still run Mac OS X well. I installed it on a computer of a fellow of mine that was an old dell optiplex with a socket 423 mb.
And nice patch. Seems that external people give more help than those on insanelymac (they help people very rarely, it's like most times they don't seem to listen).

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Fri May 09, 2008 5:05 pm

Hi,

All of my hardware is actually supported (Pentium M 1.7 Ghz, AC 97 Audio, Realtek 8139, Onboard Intel GMA video). The problem is getting Mac OS X. I am not a newbie in the world of OS (my hobby was and still is kernel hacking). I have WinXP, Vista, OpenSolaris, Fedora 7 and GNU Hurd all installed. Its just that I don't have much info about Mac OS X because I never have been able to get it. I am sure if I get a copy of osx86 I'll get it to work somehow.

stay safe,

AamirM

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Fri May 09, 2008 9:37 pm

AamirM wrote:Hi,

All of my hardware is actually supported (Pentium M 1.7 Ghz, AC 97 Audio, Realtek 8139, Onboard Intel GMA video). The problem is getting Mac OS X.
Would somebody be so kind so send AamirM a DVD-R with OSX86 on it (since it's 4+GB sized)? :)

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Tue May 13, 2008 9:48 am

King Of Chaos wrote:

All of my hardware is actually supported (Pentium M 1.7 Ghz, AC 97 Audio, Realtek 8139, Onboard Intel GMA video). The problem is getting Mac OS X.
Would somebody be so kind so send AamirM a DVD-R with OSX86 on it (since it's 4+GB sized)? :)
Hi,

If anybody is willing they can contact me in private.

stay safe,

AamirM

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Tue May 13, 2008 9:19 pm

Absolutely not. I hate hacks. If one still doesn' beleive I can even tell the solution too. The 68k instruction dbf needs to execute 14 cycles instead of 12. There you go :) .

stay safe,

AamirM
I just tried this recently and apparently, it also fixes the "sky issue" in Zero the Kamikaze Squirell (usa)...

nice finding, thanks, but it also seems to me that the last musashi core was emulating this instruction correctly, or at least, like described in 68k docs, i.e 12 cycles +/- 2 extra cycles depending on the compare result... so what was wrong ?

Jorge Nuno
Very interested

Post by Jorge Nuno » Tue May 13, 2008 9:55 pm

Sik wrote:Thing to support the 2gen BIOS when Regen starts supporting BIOSes :P if the BIOS has its own SRAM, make sure it's separate from the game. Otherwise SRAM would be shared and disaster would happen there.

Sure, you may say that you can't test this on the real hardware, but then you should force Regen to support only the original BIOS and address only 2KB :P If you mod the hardware and you're good enough, you would be able to replace the BIOS. And replacing BIOSes is quite common when modding.

As a general criteria I would suggest to allow the BIOS do whatever a normal ROM can, having its own address space.

EDIT: there are some clones that have a BIOS bigger than 2KB (like TecToy's Mega Drive 3, not to confuse with Majesco's model 3). I guess that's a good reason to just follow that criteria?

How can one replace the bios of a megadrive, if it's inside the bus arbiter? (I think it is... )
Without knowing the internals of it, and I really mean the internal diagram, to replicate it and add a custom bios...

Yeah replacing bios is common in modding, when it's a flash/eprom memory or a socketed rom, the megadrive bios isn't so "replacement-friendly"

BTW what's the benefit of that "2nd generation bios"? I've read your topic and... bah :?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed May 14, 2008 1:01 am

Eke wrote: nice finding, thanks, but it also seems to me that the last musashi core was emulating this instruction correctly, or at least, like described in 68k docs, i.e 12 cycles +/- 2 extra cycles depending on the compare result... so what was wrong ?
According to Motorola, the DBcc instruction has three conditions on the timing:

1) cc is true - 12 cycles
2) cc is false, and the count has not expired - 10 cycles
3) cc is false, but the count has expired - 14 cycles

I suspect the CPU core probably just handled cc being true or false without handling the count condition.