Exodus 2.0.1 crash (has stopped working)

Official support forum for the Exodus Emulation Platform

Moderator: Nemesis

Natsumi
Very interested

Exodus 2.0.1 crash (has stopped working)

Post by Natsumi » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:50 am

So, I've had a computer upgrade recently, and reinstall of Windows. I tried to check how well Exodus would run on my new machine, but instead, it just crashes after I open it (The window for the program and "the system is being constructed" screen appears). Tried to reinstall C++ Runtime and nothing changed. Here is the crash dump and CPU-Z system info: http://natsumi.noip.me/d/misc/Exodus.zip

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Re: Exodus 2.0.1 crash (has stopped working)

Post by MintyTheCat » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:29 pm

Natsumi wrote:So, I've had a computer upgrade recently, and reinstall of Windows. I tried to check how well Exodus would run on my new machine, but instead, it just crashes after I open it (The window for the program and "the system is being constructed" screen appears). Tried to reinstall C++ Runtime and nothing changed. Here is the crash dump and CPU-Z system info: http://natsumi.noip.me/d/misc/Exodus.zip
I have exactly the same issue having recently moved from WinXP to Win7 for my Windows dev machine.
Re-installing Win7 is most certainly not an option. I have sent a PM to Nemesis but he has not gotten back to me as yet.

It looks like a very, very good tool in the right hands and I WANT it as soon as I can have it :)

Surely, it will be some log entry or ini file entry somewhere that is causing the issue? It will not run not matter what I do. I wish not to start randomly messing around inside Win7 for fear that I will mess my OS up that I rely on for work purposes.
UMDK Fanboy

Natsumi
Very interested

Post by Natsumi » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:34 pm

it worked on my machine when I had AMD Athlon II processor. Very poorly, but it worked. There is nothing significant enough different in Win7 for it not to work this time, so doubt its an issue on my end.

Natsumi
Very interested

Post by Natsumi » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:34 pm

So I've tried couple of virtual machines to run this. In VMWare, I get the same crash issue, but on VirtualBox I dont. However, the program can barely get to 30FPS and the CPU usage never goes above 30%.

I was also able (or at least, I think) to track where the issue comes at. This line in "Sega Mega Drive 1600.xml":

Code: Select all

<Device DeviceName="YM2612"        InstanceName="YM2612" />
However deleting this line only still causes the program to crash.

Edit: I had to reinstall windows because of HDD failure. I got the Windows update to work somewhat correctly, so I got to install SP1 of Windows 7. Exodus now seems to work without issues.

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Hey, sorry, I'm back now, and I'd like to investigate your crash, but that link no longer works. Any chance you could re-upload it? Minty, if you get a crash report, upload yours here too if you can, and I'll take a look.

I do have a dim recollection about an OS error in Windows 7 non-SP1 I believe, where the OS reported some CPUs had support for hardware features they didn't have, which the VS2013 C++ runtimes would then attempt to use and bring the program down in a burning heap. That was a general problem for all apps using the VS2013 C++ runtimes, and it was fixed with an OS update. Someone else ran into that issue, can't remember who or where, but if you're missing any service packs or critical patches for your OS, I'd suggest installing them. Other than that, if you can get me a crash report, I'll be able to investigate further.

Natsumi
Very interested

Post by Natsumi » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:03 pm

I currently have a server outage due to move and some bs with the router I am using, however I have reuploaded it. The issues were solved afterwards with reinstalling the OS due to other issues and then installing a lot of updates to the OS itself. There are still some odd issues though; sometimes Exodus will start running slower (around 45 fps) for some odd reason, even though I have most of my CPU free. However, other than that it works just fine.

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:50 am

Thanks for the crash report. I can confirm from the minidump that this is caused by a known issue on a base Windows 7 install without SP1, with programs compiled using VS2013. Installing Windows 7 SP1 will resolve this issue. This problem will also be corrected in future releases, which will use VS2015 (or higher) as the compiler, which doesn't encounter this issue on the base install of Windows 7.

Kyosho

Post by Kyosho » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Yay my account was finally activated!

So, I've got this exact crash I think (link to crash reports). The only versions I can open without crashing 100% of the time are 1.0.0 and the "12-3-2007" build. I have Windows 7 64-bit WITH Service Pack 1 (proof https://i.imgur.com/cTfiTXU.png ). I even went out and looked for any windows updates that mentioned things related to Visual Studio, and installed them. Still nothing. Tried various compatibility mode settings, nothing. I tried running Exodus in a virtual machine for Windows XP 32bit (says it's not a 32bit application), XP64bit (still says the 32bit thing, even in 64bit Windows). In the end only the versions I already mentioned also ran on XP. I looked into compiling my own version in VS2015 but hoo boy, this stuff is waaaaay over my head.

I know it's a major hassle to compile a new version, and you'd rather wait until you actually have changes to update. If you, or anyone else who is working on the emulator would be willing (I noticed several forks on bitbucket) to compile a new version of the binary, it would be greatly appreciated. Or maybe one of the creators of the forks have one already and could link me one.

Sorry for the hassle, it's just that I'd like to follow up on HD Retrovision's work on getting Genesis games to display in 480i. Both my TV and my capture card have issues with 240p but work perfectly in 480i.

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:01 pm

I'm sorry to say, this was an issue I actually identified and fixed in the repo back in 2015, but since I had to stop working on this project unexpectedly, I never did a following release, and the fix therefore never ended up in a release version. The bug is related to joysticks/gamepads. If you unplug your joystick you should find it works correctly. Reinstalling your joystick may work around the issue. The next build I make will include a fix.

Kyosho

Post by Kyosho » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:23 pm

Sonova...Well, it works. Never would've thought of unplugging my 360 controller to try to fix this. Oh well. I kind of got around my 480i issue by getting a new capture card and also a CRT TV next to my big LCD. Still might be cool to try and get some other games working on my LCD though.

Even if I don't, I'm glad I have a way to use Exodus now. It's got features no other emulator has for the Gen/MD. I've actually thought about trying to learn to make a game for the system some day. The community has started to build up some decent tools around development.