Oh wow I'm slow

Official support forum for the Exodus Emulation Platform

Moderator: Nemesis

Sik
Very interested

Oh wow I'm slow

Post by Sik » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:22 pm

I just realized Exodus is a pun on Genesis.
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

RetroGames
Interested

Re: Oh wow I'm slow

Post by RetroGames » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:15 am

I completely missed it too. Clever pun. :mrgreen:

ryanfaescotland
Very interested

Post by ryanfaescotland » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:17 pm

It's not a pun?

A man walks into a zoo. The only animal it has is a single dog.

It's a shitzu.

That's a pun.

RetroGames
Interested

Post by RetroGames » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:31 am

I guess I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally slooooooooooow. :D

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:33 am

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:22 pm

At least none of you made a thread about it.

Dr. MefistO
Interested

Post by Dr. MefistO » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:24 pm

Sik wrote:At least none of you made a thread about it.
Everyone knows.=)

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:41 pm

Yep, that was indeed the joke :). Like a lot of other people here I suspect, I was using emulators back in the late 90's and early 00's, when it seemed like the name of half the emulators out there were some kind of reference or pun.

You want to know what's really ironic in a way? The biggest inspiration for Exodus was probably "Genecyst", the old dos-based Mega Drive emulator. It had great realtime debugging features, something that no windows-based Mega Drive emulator had, right at the time I wanted those features. I actually used Genecyst a lot, well after the release of far technically superior and more accurate emulators, purely because I couldn't do things I considered basic and essential, like observe the raw contents of the VRAM in realtime. I thought a lot about making my own emulator back in those days, long before I actually went ahead and started it, and I thought up the name back in that era.

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:01 pm

Has there ever been a Mega Drive emulator (not counting MESS for obvious reasons) which name was not a pun on the console?

Genecyst (Genesis)
Kega (Sega)
DGen (Genesis)
Gens (Genesis)
Regen (Genesis)
BlastEm (Blast Processing)

I guess Genesis Plus is not a pun, but it's obviously themed on the console as well.

Also what you mentioned about Genecyst is precisely why I decided to just go use that for the Puyo Puyo colorblind palette hack. It was a lot easier to just dump the palette, look it up in a hex editor and edit the BIN than to do a full blown disassembly or whatever (I guess Regen could have done the job here too), oh and also coming back to it to patch the checksum. I also used it once to rip the Pulseman sprites for a fangame :v (long lost since then, and I was stuck on DOS x_x). It's also like the only emulator that can show you VRAM in real time at full framerate, even newer emulators fail miserably at this.

Mask of Destiny
Very interested

Post by Mask of Destiny » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:08 pm

Sik wrote:Kega (Sega)
DGen (Genesis)
Gens (Genesis)
I'd argue those aren't really puns. They're referencing Sega or the Genesis, but it's not really a play on different meanings of a word or similar sounding words. Other punny Gen/MD emulator names are Genital (should be obvious, though I had forgotten about it completely until I checked Zophar's Domain) and Generator (used a code generation and a somewhat novel scheme for a portable dynarec, thus the name which also conveniently looks/sounds a little like Genesis). I suppose Ages could be considered a sort of "visual" pun (one Sega themselves exploited in some of their advertising).