Which IDE to use?

SGDK only sub forum

Moderator: Stef

POLYGAMe
Very interested

Which IDE to use?

Post by POLYGAMe » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:53 am

Hi guys,

After a few years of unsuccessful iOS/Android game dev I have decided to get a real job and am getting back into Genny dev just for fun. I've only made a few simple demos before and I was wondering how things have progressed and which IDE is recommended these days? I was using Code:blocks before but I see it hasn't been updated since 2013? I'm running Windows 10, BTW. Is Eclipse the way to go now? I have no personal preference, as I haven't used either a lot. Just whatever's easier to set up and spit out roms reliably, I guess :)

Cheers!

MrTamk1s
Very interested

Re: Which IDE to use?

Post by MrTamk1s » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:33 pm

I prefer to use Code::Blocks 13.12 on my Windows 7 machine, which according to their forum, does work on Windows 10. (The homepage does also say a long-awaited 15.12 release is coming soon, with an 15.12 RC1 available). I believe many members here use it (the official SGDK sample projects have .cbp project files)

Code::Blocks for SGDK is easy to setup, is lightweight, easy to use, FOSS, and flexible with plugins. If you use it, make sure to get the installer version, which comes bundled with plugins, and select at a minimum the EnvVars plugin, which you should use for the SGDK setup guide. I've use Eclipse in the past for Java programming in school, and don't quite like it, as I found it huge, bloated, and complex. Never tried QT IDE.
SGDK homebrew dev and Unity3D Indie dev.
Sega does what Nintendont!

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:55 pm

I do use Eclipse at work for java development and it does work well for that... I tried to switch my MD developments on Eclipse as well but quickly figured Code::Blocks is just simpler and work generally better for that.

POLYGAMe
Very interested

Post by POLYGAMe » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:23 pm

Thanks guys, I set it up with Code::Blocks. Was a bit of head scratching involved but got it working :)

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:02 pm

Late to the party: I use Visual Studio Community Edition. You can use the "makefile" project type. That's what I've been using lately. Set it up to point to your build/clean scripts.

POLYGAMe
Very interested

Post by POLYGAMe » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:11 am

Ah cool, I quite like VS. Is it easy to set up with SGDK though?

matteus
Very interested

Post by matteus » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:43 pm

djcouchycouch wrote:Late to the party: I use Visual Studio Community Edition. You can use the "makefile" project type. That's what I've been using lately. Set it up to point to your build/clean scripts.
I like the idea of doing things this way but does it recognise your syntax?

nolddor
Very interested

Post by nolddor » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:58 pm

I used to work on Code::Blocks, but I use Eclipse nowadays because I use it for Java purposes...
Also Eclipse CPP IDE is portable so... I usually work on a flashdrive to be able to change easily from one computer to another.

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:19 am

Eclipse CDT because I can live without makefile and because, one day, i'll be able to use debug !
(and I use it for GenRes too, since C::B's mingw is just old and bugged)

On my lightweight notebook, i use GeanyIDE

POLYGAMe
Very interested

Post by POLYGAMe » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:34 am

I might try Eclipse too. Just out of interest, can games be made with SGDK that rival the performance of games made with assembly? I'm making a simple puzzler and have a basic working knowledge of C so I'll stick with SGDK but is it worth learning 68k assembly? I've yet to find a "one stop shop" tutorial for ASM. lol.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:47 am

Just check out what djcc made with 100% C code so you will have an idea of what you can do with C only language. I think that good C coding can already do a lot and you can always put some piece of asm where you really need it but almost time C will be enough to do the job ;-)

POLYGAMe
Very interested

Post by POLYGAMe » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:40 am

Good to hear :)

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:54 am

POLYGAMe wrote:I might try Eclipse too. Just out of interest, can games be made with SGDK that rival the performance of games made with assembly? I'm making a simple puzzler and have a basic working knowledge of C so I'll stick with SGDK but is it worth learning 68k assembly? I've yet to find a "one stop shop" tutorial for ASM. lol.
This should give you an idea of how much you can push it in C. I'm not a super low level guy, so it's not the most optimized stuff in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jDmft2H_Po

There's more than enough performance to be interesting, anyway.

POLYGAMe
Very interested

Post by POLYGAMe » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:02 am

WHOA! That's impressive!!!!!

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:56 pm

POLYGAMe wrote:I might try Eclipse too.
Be sure to use Eclipse CDT, not Eclipse (for java)
Eclipse CDT comes with makefile support, very handy