Couldn't Allocate Heap, win32 error ...

SGDK only sub forum

Moderator: Stef

BroOfTheSun
Interested

Couldn't Allocate Heap, win32 error ...

Post by BroOfTheSun » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:49 pm

Hey, I frequently get this error when I compile. Could someone help me understand what this error is? It happens sometimes when I try to compile. When I see it, I just recompile until the build completes successfully.

error message:

2 [main] ? (684) C:\sgdk\bin\make.exe: *** fatal error - C:\sgdk\bin\make.exe: *** couldn't allocate heap, Win32 error 0, base 0x8D0000, top 0x8F0000, reserve_szie 126976, allocsize 131072, page_const 4096

5 [main] make 2700 fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before initialization, retry 0, exit code 0x100, errno 11
make: vfork: Resource temporarily unavailable
make: *** Deleting file 'out/src/LevelTest.o'

Is my computer running out of memory when compiling?

NM..found an old thread
viewtopic.php?t=1196&highlight=heap

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:11 pm

Definitely a bug with the GCC included in SGDK :-/
Hopefully you can get your file compiled by trying several time but indeed an annoying bug !

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:09 am

I just got this today, too, trying to move my SGDK projects to a Windows 7 machine. I was running on XP before.

Edit: Windows 7 machine, not Windows 8

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:57 pm

The bug does not happen on XP ? maybe someone can try to re-compile it on a win7 system. I'm now used to push compilation until it get done but i understand that is an annoying bug in the compiler.

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:42 am

Stef wrote:The bug does not happen on XP ? maybe someone can try to re-compile it on a win7 system. I'm now used to push compilation until it get done but i understand that is an annoying bug in the compiler.
It never happened on XP on my machine. I dunno if recompiling SGDK would work.

What I could find about the problem was that it might be caused by Windows' Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR), introduced in Vista. I tried disabling it manually using some instructions I found but that didn't work.

The other main thread I found was that some programs might be interfering with Cygwin, as noted in the Big List of Dodgy Apps. But I don't know if internally SGDK uses any Cygwin stuff.

Also about Cygwin, when it comes to ASLR, there was mention about "rebasing" it and for some it fixed the problem.

I don't know if any of the above are the problem, but that's all I could really find about the error message.

djcc

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:24 pm

SGDK uses a mingw32 version of GCC, so not the cygwin distribution... When i spoke about recompilation, i meant recompiling the compiler and so GCC and binutils on windows 7. I probably compiled them on a XP platform back in time but t should not make any difference.

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Re:

Post by djcouchycouch » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:11 pm

Stef wrote:SGDK uses a mingw32 version of GCC, so not the cygwin distribution... When i spoke about recompilation, i meant recompiling the compiler and so GCC and binutils on windows 7. I probably compiled them on a XP platform back in time but t should not make any difference.
I was thinking about looking into this during the holidays. Stef, you think rebuilding the compiler would be a possible solution? Where can I find instructions for how you usually build it for the sgdk?

Stef
Very interested

Re: Couldn't Allocate Heap, win32 error ...

Post by Stef » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:53 pm

You basically need to compile GCC for x86 host and m68k-elf target and that is :)
But definitely using newer versions of GCC will result in poorly code generation :-/

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:09 pm

I got scared off by the instructions on how to compile GCC, so I tried something else :)

Setting the compatibility mode properties for make.exe and to Windows XP (Service Pack 3) seems to fix the problem. Before setting it, I get the error every second time I compile. After I set it, I compiled over a dozen times with no problems. I turned it off again and got the problem reappeared. It it appears to work, for me at least.

So I think that's a workaround. Try it out and let us know.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:40 pm

djcouchycouch wrote:I got scared off by the instructions on how to compile GCC, so I tried something else :)

Setting the compatibility mode properties for make.exe and to Windows XP (Service Pack 3) seems to fix the problem. Before setting it, I get the error every second time I compile. After I set it, I compiled over a dozen times with no problems. I turned it off again and got the problem reappeared. It it appears to work, for me at least.

So I think that's a workaround. Try it out and let us know.
Oh i never tried that ! Nice finding :) I will test that asap !

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:58 am

Stef wrote:You basically need to compile GCC for x86 host and m68k-elf target and that is :)
But definitely using newer versions of GCC will result in poorly code generation :-/

Hi, based on these words and on mike's work (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2269), can you tell use which GCC version to use ?
And what do you mean by "poorly code generation" ? did they change optimization in some newer version ?

perhaps a script like mike's one could be written to anyone wanting to try it...
the only thing I have as a reference is http://gnutoolchains.com/building/

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:51 am

KanedaFr wrote: Hi, based on these words and on mike's work (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2269), can you tell use which GCC version to use ?
And what do you mean by "poorly code generation" ? did they change optimization in some newer version ?

perhaps a script like mike's one could be written to anyone wanting to try it...
the only thing I have as a reference is http://gnutoolchains.com/building/
I think i used similar instructions to build my GCC toolchains ;)
But yeah definitely newer GCC produces poor code for m68k target, that is why i keep an old GCC 3.4.6 in SGDK.
I think the version which produce best code for m68k is around 2.8.xx but that is definitely too old and some nice compiler features are missing.
I think version 3.4.6 is "good enough", 4.X or new (5.X) produces poorly optimized code and generally later versions are worst :-/ That is just due to GCC adapting the code generation structure to newer CPU architecture which basically broke optimization done for older architecture as the 68000.

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:30 pm

ok, thanks for the info

perhaps i'll say something stupid but do you think I can use the last GCC/GDB for debug and the last 3.x version for release ?
or the differnce betwen the 2 codes will create more problems (like code working on a version but not on another) ?
(yes, still trying to find the best way to handle GDB on KMod!)

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:14 pm

That should be a doable solution :) Normally code should work on both version without any problems, newer GCC will just be slower :p

Ced2911

Post by Ced2911 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:59 am

Same error for me (windows 10 64) also libmd.a isn't up to date (currentZ80Driver missing refernces issues) :)