MegaLD Dumping Project

Moderator: Mask of Destiny

ICEknight
Very interested

Post by ICEknight » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:50 pm

LAPProject wrote:I'm not so sure about that for all cases... I know that at least temporarily, the market value of Melon Brains took quite a dip after I posted the majority of the disc's footage on Youtube.
...Where can you check that "market value" you speak of?

I'm still seeing "rare" (but already dumped) things like Action 52 for a lowest price of $220 on eBay... Which is more than enough for a really bad game.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:39 am

What takes a sharp dive are prices of illegal reproductions. The originals still go for high prices, as I pointed out.

LAPProject
Interested

Post by LAPProject » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:11 am

I think the phenomenon I observed/charted (price of Melon Brains winning bids going down by a sizable portion on average after the footage went up, with the English version still going for more than the Japanese on average due to language barrier) only happened because there's not much to "play" in Melon Brains - it's more of an interactive video than a game, so you're really not missing much just by watching it all on Youtube. Combined with a very small number of interested buyers to begin with, which probably made the effect more dramatic. Or, it could've been merely a freak fluctuation of demand. :P I don't pretend to be a DigitPress or the like, all of my hypotheses are based on my own observation.

However, after thinking it over again, I do not think that the values for most OTHER LaserActive games will be much affected by this project, since those in the market for purchasing the games will already have to have made a significant investment on obtaining a working unit and making necessary repairs/maintenance. These aren't like rare SNES games where the hardware is a low-cost, low-risk investment, and most of the LaserActive collectors I've dealt with are people who have owned the system since its release period. The only sore thumb in this situation is the Myst prototype - I can imagine those few who own the disc will be wary about dumping it due to a fear of devaluation (especially since the proto itself is...pretty much just a half-working version of Myst, a game ported to every platform under the sun).

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:00 pm

There may be a BRIEF period after a rip comes out where the price of originals drop, but that's only while some bidders try to decide if they really wanted the game or not. Collectors don't give a damn about the actual game - they simply want to fill holes in their collections. Those people are very quickly back to full price on originals since rips mean nothing to them as you cannot fill a collection with rips. So you have fewer people bidding, but they are still bidding high.

Since there probably are fewer people bidding, you may not get some of the intense bidding wars that comes with large numbers of bidders. So that could also affect the price on ebay if the seller didn't set a minimum. So sellers move from lower starting prices that rely on bidding wars to higher starting prices that don't... like we saw with that LD collection linked earlier.

LAPProject
Interested

Post by LAPProject » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:32 am

Just an FYI, this thread may get a lot of outside traffic in about a month or so. Can't say anything more, but prepare. I gotta get the blog up to snuff, too.

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:56 am

I've updated the list of games to show the disks I was sent by Doc Eggfan, a couple of months back now. I've been having another go at getting the dumping process refined, and I've performed rips of a few more games. I'm going to attempt to do a basic iso sector dump of the main tracks of all the disks I have, and I'll post them online. That'll at least be some progress, and I can continue from there.

MNc99
Interested

Post by MNc99 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:04 pm

LAPProject wrote:Just an FYI, this thread may get a lot of outside traffic in about a month or so. Can't say anything more, but prepare. I gotta get the blog up to snuff, too.
The suspense is killing me....

LAPProject
Interested

Post by LAPProject » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:33 pm

MNc99 wrote:
LAPProject wrote:Just an FYI, this thread may get a lot of outside traffic in about a month or so. Can't say anything more, but prepare. I gotta get the blog up to snuff, too.
The suspense is killing me....
Note: MAY get a lot of traffic. The article on EDGE Online mentioning this effort just went live today, so now we'll wait and see.

ICEknight
Very interested

Post by ICEknight » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:20 pm

Somebody please remind me why is it a good thing to bring the attention of the masses to this right now.

Misty
Interested

Post by Misty » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:59 pm

Somehow my topic notification for this got deactivated, so I missed that this started! Really glad to see LA games approaching dumping at last. Sent a PM to Nemesis; for posterity, offering the following:

J.B. Harold - Manhattan Requiem (Japan) [NEC]
Pyramid Patrol (US) [SEGA]
Quiz Econosaurus (Japan) [NEC]

I also have the following that are listed as awaiting dumps (can mail duplicates if necessary to help the process):

Hyperion (US) [SEGA]
J.B. Harold - Blue Chicago Blues (Japan) [SEGA]
Space Berserker (US) [SEGA]

ericb59

Post by ericb59 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:36 pm

Hello There,

I'm new here, and I came here because I'm looking for FMV game dump that I can rebuild for the MSX system !
(Yeah it's sound crazy... I know ! :wink: )

Just a question about the MegaLD Dumps...
Is it just possible to make a video dump of MegaLD games (for example in AVI) and rebuild the game over this video game ?
That's what I would like to do my my crazy project...
:roll:

isamu

Post by isamu » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi guys, how are things going with the project? Wishing you guys the best of luck with this project because it's exciting to know these games will all get dumped soon :)

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:39 am

Hey, I've been very time poor lately, so this project right now is no closer than it was a few months ago. That said, I've got a massive stack of MegaLD disks on loan from dr eggfan just waiting for me to get to, and I will get to them, it's just taking longer than I hoped.

If I was still 17, I'd probably skip school for a week and work at this 16 hours a day for a week straight until I got it all done. That's how I used to do a lot of this stuff. Being 28 now with a fairly demanding job, a wife, and two young kids, with no shortage of commitments, responsibilities, and a fair bit of real-life drama over the last year or so, time can be in short supply. Projects like this just need to take a back seat a lot of the time unfortunately. It won't always be this way though, things are settling down, and I haven't abandoned this project, it's just on the back-burner until I can give it the focused time it needs to get over the last couple of hurdles.

LAPProject
Interested

Post by LAPProject » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:50 am

Just letting those on the project know that I'm sadly going to have to be selling off my LaserActive collection in whole (at some point in the coming months). Thus, I won't have any discs out for lend. However, it looks like you've already got what I have in my collection covered.

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:52 pm

Sorry to hear that. I have been lent a very significant collection of disks already though, so hopefully they're all in good nick and we don't need to worry about redumps for awhile. This project is still effectively on ice for me, and it's killing me to have all the disks literally sitting on my desk and not enough time to look at them, but that's just the way it is right now. Sooner or later I'll see this through, just trying to juggle 1000 different things right now.