Problem with input

Official support forum for the Exodus Emulation Platform

Moderator: Nemesis

xenometal

Problem with input

Post by xenometal » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:41 pm

Hi everyone!

This emulator looks fantastic. I was looking forward to try it, however I stumbled upon a problem; input is not recognized for some reason.

I tried remapping the controls, which seemed to work, but whatever key I press nothing happens in games. Restoring default settings didn't help.

Only error message I see in the Event Log is something related to a 'Persistent State' when loading Shining Force, which from reading this forum I gather is related to SRAM emulation. So, I'd like to give more information but I'm not even sure of what would be relevant in this case.

Any ideas?

(BTW, Sonic runs at full speed on my Phenom II X4 955, OC'ed @ 3.7Ghz. Sound is a bit choppy, but it's otherwise very playable. Can't wait to take a look at the extensive debugging features.)

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:26 pm

It's not very obvious, but you need to have the "Image" window selected right now in order for input to be captured. Just clicking on the menu will cause you to lose focus on the Image window, and input will no longer be captured by the emulator. I'd guess that's what's causing your problem.

xenometal

Post by xenometal » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:52 am

Tried again to make sure. No dice.

I run Win7 64bit and use a simple Logitech USB keyboard... A fairly common setup, I presume.

Also tried reinstalling the Visual C++ Runtime for the hell of it.

TascoDLX
Very interested

Post by TascoDLX » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:40 am

Nemesis wrote:It's not very obvious, but you need to have the "Image" window selected right now in order for input to be captured. Just clicking on the menu will cause you to lose focus on the Image window, and input will no longer be captured by the emulator. I'd guess that's what's causing your problem.
There is a subtle quirk that bears mentioning. If you select the Image window by clicking on the window frame, it will not capture the input. You need to click on the client area instead.

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:51 am

Well if the suggestion from TascoDLX doesn't work, I'm not sure what could be causing your problem. The fact that you even see the input mapping options shows that a controller is loaded. If you haven't modified any of the XML files which define the system, it should work.

The only extra thing I can suggest trying is going into fullscreen mode (alt+enter with the image window selected) and see if that works, and if input works under fullscreen mode.

xenometal

Post by xenometal » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:24 pm

TascoDLX wrote:
Nemesis wrote:It's not very obvious, but you need to have the "Image" window selected right now in order for input to be captured. Just clicking on the menu will cause you to lose focus on the Image window, and input will no longer be captured by the emulator. I'd guess that's what's causing your problem.
There is a subtle quirk that bears mentioning. If you select the Image window by clicking on the window frame, it will not capture the input. You need to click on the client area instead.
That did it!

The thought didn't occur to me that this could make a difference. For some reason, I have a habit of always putting focus on a window by clicking on its frame.

So, I guess I should point out that after loading a ROM/Module, the Image window doesn't automatically receive focus and this could potentially confuse some silly noobs. :lol:

Thank you both for the help.

(I forgot to mention it previously, but the CPU load when playing Sonic hovers around 75-85%. I guess I'm lucky that it manages to run so well.) :)

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:24 pm

You're not silly, this behavior is very obscure and I'd like to change it. Maybe if a key is pressed with the main window selected that isn't assigned to that window, it can automatically give focus to the main input window. I also didn't realize that selecting the image window frame itself didn't work. I'll try and improve both these aspects.